Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Original Precision S&W PLUG 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's the two I plugged. For those not in the know, S&W has installed locks on nearly all revolver models since 2001. For those of us that don't like to depend on keys and consider our fingers to be our safeties, it's nice to get rid of the "Hillary Hole" i.e. the internal lock.

Original Precision makes a matte stainless plug which is easy enough in my 627. Removing the lock parts SUCKS. S&W designed this to be difficult with a small but very firm spring. If it wasn't strong, it would engage on its own --- which it still sometimes does, if you believe the Interwebz.

The 29-8, being a high polish blued gun, was more difficult as Original Precision does not make a plug in a matching finish. The owner recommended I buy the regular matte black one which is plastic coated steel. Wet sand off the plastic and you have regular carbon steel which will take a blue. After polishing down to 1200 grit, I used my $7 bluing pen and got what I paid for. After a rub with a rag, it looked more like the case hardening on the hammer and trigger. Which is not terrible. I decided to not fight this battle further and installed it.

Final verdict: the parts are expensive for what you get but do the job. It's tough to shell out nearly $40 for a couple tiny parts. If I was a machinist I could make my own for $0.10 and a little time. But I'm not, and there is really no alternative to what Original Precision makes. I'm also happy to support a fellow Marine vet and small business owner. If you aren't willing to, or cannot disassemble a S&W this item is not for you.

They also make a moon clip tool that I purchased, and it too seems pretty basic but does the job. I do wish I had given the BMT version a try first, but will run what I got.

https://www.originalprecision.com/lock- ... parts.html

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:23 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting, I didn't know there was such a thing.

Those look good!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:48 pm

The Hillary hole is the name for my presidents of the the United States cover band.

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]