Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:55 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Celestron 71348 Outland X 10x50 Binocular 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Celestron 10 x 50 binoculars (remanufactured)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FR ... UTF8&psc=1

The weekend that I got stuck on Anderson Island, my nephew had a pair of these that we used constantly (his in-law's house looks down over Oro Bay, lots of boats & wildlife to look for, plus killer sunrises). They go for about $155 new on Amazon, which was about 3x what I wanted to spend for a pair of "cheap" binoculars for my boat. I had been eying WWII naval binoculars on Offer Up, which normally seem to go for about $40-$60. I liked the Celestrons so much, that I started looking for deals on them, and found a pair (at the link above) that were "used in excellent condition" for $77. Since it was on Amazon Prime, I figured I had little to lose if they were crap and it was only about $20 more than I was looking to spend.

Ordered them, Rita was grumpy about the price, but after yesterday's outing shooting at SVRC, she loves them. Even in the relatively dark valley, the light gathering ability of the 50 mm lenses is quite good and she could see individual leaves at the other end of the 200 yard range. They're easy to set up, easy to focus, and relatively lightweight so you don't really notice them while they're hanging around your neck. I bought a tripod adapter for it, and it's a very tight fit because the adapter's designed for Porro prism type binoculars (Z shaped light path), not BAK4 (straight through), but it does fit. Among other things we forgot, forgot to bring the tripod, so we just had to use them with our elbows on the shooting table. The eye relief is great, and easily adjustable, once you've adjusted the right eye to your vision, the focus becomes very intuitive. The image clarity is probably nearly as good as my Steiner 7 X 50s (the ones I don't want to let guests use on the boat). The only detractor was simply me not reading the instructions. The cap for the tripod adapter screws off on a plastic 1/4-20 screw, I thought it just popped off, so I was trying to lever it off, instead of unscrewing it. Stupid, but I didn't do any noticeable damage unless you know exactly where to look.

I highly recommend them, and I'm not sure they're going to the boat. Right now, they're in the front pocket of my murse.

Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]