Switch to full style
Shops, Gear, Ranges.. Let others know how your experience was.
Post a reply

Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Sinus211 and I both pre-ordered this when we were at SHOT Show this past January. He ordered his first, so the main purpose of this thread is to gloat that I received before he received his. :bigsmile: :rofl9: And if he replies later and says something like, "Well, mine is better because it has the stupid wannabe thigh-rig holster," just know that it's not true.

:peep:

Anyhow, I got this nice box from Israel in the mail today:

Image

This is the Recover Tactical 20/20 Stabilizer for Glock pistols.

So I fished around to find a Glock that looked right, and settled on this G17L:

Image

Image

This pistol has suppressor-height sights, which actually feel pretty good when my cheek is down against the, err, brace. I think regular sights would be fine too, but the suppressor-height sights are nice because I don't need to mash my face down quite as much. It also depends on how far, ah, away you hold the brace from your shoulder; the farther away, the farther back your face is, and the lower it is. So yeah, the higher sights work nicely for me. :wink05:

I ordered the "20/20S" kit, which as you can see includes the single-point sling and the side rails. You can also get the more expensive kit that includes the stupid thigh holster, but you'd have to be insane to do that. Or perhaps Vegas-level drunk.

The sling clips on and off easily, and it's actually pretty comfortable if you wanted to carry the gun, and the gun will come up to eye-level without issue.

The kit comes with two "charging handles," a low-profile and a high-profile. These attach very easily to the back of the slide, and they make it easier to rack the slide since it's nestled down into the chassis. I put the low-profile version on mine, which for general range use I think will be just fine:

Image

So far, just playing with it in the house, I'm impressed. It feels good and it's comfy. It will be interesting to see how the skinny brace feels up against my cheek when firing; I know I've had some bad experiences with skinny folding stocks on AKs and such, but this is "just" 9mm so maybe it will be fine.

One thing to be careful about with this and similar products is making sure you don't get your hand in front of the muzzle. I think you'd ideally hold the pistol just like you normally would, with two hands on the grip, rather than trying to put your off hand farther out like you would with a rifle.

More to come....

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:15 pm

Looks cool as shit, Mikey has been talking about this ever since coming back from SHOT....

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:19 pm

Im am curious to see what it looks like with a Glock 19 or 45 in it....

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:33 pm

Now... add a drum and a giggle switch. :wagwoot:

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:49 pm

Well, that’s something.

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:51 pm

zombie66 wrote:Im am curious to see what it looks like with a Glock 19 or 45 in it....


Can't help with the 45, but let's try this.

First, here it is again with the G17L, without the sling to reduce clutter in the pic. Note that this pistol has a threaded barrel, so it's a little longer than normal:

Image

And now with a G22 (G17 size):

Image

And with a G19 (G23 size . . . note that this has a threaded barrel too:

Image

I also briefly tried it with my G19-size Polymer80, since I know that was a question when we were at SHOT. The chassis won't fit around it, primarily because of the longer beavertail. Now I'm not saying that you couldn't make it worth with some Dremel time . . . maybe you could.

I might wind up removing the side rails. I don't intend to mount anything on them, and they just add bulk.

Also in the last two pics above . . . note that I did not move the charging handle over when I took those pics.

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:58 pm

Thank you, I like the look of the 19 in it.

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:21 pm

MadPick wrote:Sinus211 and I both pre-ordered this when we were at SHOT Show this past January. He ordered his first, so the main purpose of this thread is to gloat that I received before he received his. :bigsmile: :rofl9:



This was my exact first thought the second I saw the thread title. :ROFLMAO:

Nice review fuckhead.

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:24 pm

Sinus211 wrote:Nice review fuckhead.


Thanks...? :rofl9:

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:40 pm

Interesting stuff. I'll be interested to try one of these at some point. I've done the Endo/Shockwave setup on mine, and this looks like it's probably at least as good, with the added bonus of the folding brace.

How thick is the whole thing in shooting position, without the added side rails? It looks like it adds a lot of thickness, but hard to tell from your pics.

Oh, and a slide-mounted red dot sight makes a huge difference in ease of shooting these things. You really have to try it to see how much better it is.

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Yondering wrote:Interesting stuff. I'll be interested to try one of these at some point. I've done the Endo/Shockwave setup on mine, and this looks like it's probably at least as good, with the added bonus of the folding brace.

How thick is the whole thing in shooting position, without the added side rails? It looks like it adds a lot of thickness, but hard to tell from your pics.

Oh, and a slide-mounted red dot sight makes a huge difference in ease of shooting these things. You really have to try it to see how much better it is.

Slide mounted red dot will be mentioned when mine shows up. Plus suppressor. Plus weapon light.

Not to mention a shooting review. Madpick may have gotten his first, but I bet I’ll shoot mine first.

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:00 pm

deleted post
Last edited by surevaliance on Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:36 pm

Sinus211 wrote:Slide mounted red dot will be mentioned when mine shows up. Plus suppressor. Plus weapon light.


Here's an old pic of my setup (maybe 5-6 years ago? I forget exactly). It worked pretty well, but my main complaint was based on the flexibility of the Glock frame; it resulted in vertical stringing, enough to be noticeable at 25 yards and was pretty sensitive to how I held it. Otherwise it was pretty good and was used to good effect on a few varmints in the yard. I'm interested to hear if this 20/20 setup solves that flex and stringing issue; it looks like it might.
Still, I liked that setup a LOT better than a Roni or other chassis systems. I considered buying one of those Sig 320 grip modules with the folding brace attachment, but sold my 320.

One advantage of the Endo/brace setup was the speed to attach it; less than 30 seconds tops. The suppressor and light were also quick attach setups, so it could switch between pseudo-carbine and carry pistol in about 1 minute.
In comparison, how long does it take to attach this 20/20 unit? (I'm not asking to point out anything bad if it's slow, just genuinely curious in potential improvements to this concept since I've used it for a number of years already.)

Note for those concerned about legalities of a brace and shouldering (it seems to be OK now, but the ATF has flip-flopped on that before) - a very short setup like this can be braced against the shooting hand bicep and used pretty effectively; it doesn't necessarily have to be shouldered. This one is much smaller than it looks in the pic.

Image

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:24 pm

Mine showed up today. Not the greatest pic but here is my G17 with some goodies mounted in the brace.

The good:

-Lightweight
-Comfortable
-Very easy to mount and adapt different rail setups
-The included single point sling is nice quality
-The price ($120) for the pictured kit (brace, side rails, charging handles, sling) is outstanding!
-Very compact compared to most braces I've seen. Especially when folded

The not so good:

-The slide release is hard to operate with the brace mounted due to tight clearance above the slide release.
-I couldn't mount the included charging handles included with the kit due to having an optic milled into my slide. I can use the optic to rack the slide, but it's not ideal. Not sure if a MOS glock would be different.
-It could use some sort of forward grip-ish device. I mounted my TLR-1s on the bottom rail. It sort of works. Recover Tactical is supposed to be releasing a rail mounted mag holder later this year.

Image

Re: Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer

Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:27 pm

Yondering wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:Slide mounted red dot will be mentioned when mine shows up. Plus suppressor. Plus weapon light.


Here's an old pic of my setup (maybe 5-6 years ago? I forget exactly). It worked pretty well, but my main complaint was based on the flexibility of the Glock frame; it resulted in vertical stringing, enough to be noticeable at 25 yards and was pretty sensitive to how I held it. Otherwise it was pretty good and was used to good effect on a few varmints in the yard. I'm interested to hear if this 20/20 setup solves that flex and stringing issue; it looks like it might.
Still, I liked that setup a LOT better than a Roni or other chassis systems. I considered buying one of those Sig 320 grip modules with the folding brace attachment, but sold my 320.

One advantage of the Endo/brace setup was the speed to attach it; less than 30 seconds tops. The suppressor and light were also quick attach setups, so it could switch between pseudo-carbine and carry pistol in about 1 minute.
In comparison, how long does it take to attach this 20/20 unit? (I'm not asking to point out anything bad if it's slow, just genuinely curious in potential improvements to this concept since I've used it for a number of years already.)

Note for those concerned about legalities of a brace and shouldering (it seems to be OK now, but the ATF has flip-flopped on that before) - a very short setup like this can be braced against the shooting hand bicep and used pretty effectively; it doesn't necessarily have to be shouldered. This one is much smaller than it looks in the pic.

Image


I may take the setup out in my backyard this afternoon and send a few rounds downrange but I don't have a paper target setup on my property. I'll get back to you asap once I've had a chance to take it to the range.
Post a reply