Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:25 pm

Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Recover Tactical 20/20 Glock Brace/Stabilizer 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Way off. I'm all about big boy beers. 16oz smooth M effin curls!

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:00 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Big boys drink whiskey.

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

surevaliance wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Soooooo its cool and all, but its still a Glock thats attached to the brace, right?

Yep. Just more stable, so you shoot longer distance more accurately.
Kind of a poor man's 9mm SBR, only versatile, much lighter, affordable and ATF BJ-free.

Pretty much it's Just adapting a Glock to a "Stock" to avoid the ATF Cock. Much like any other braced Pistol.

Yeah, It's a Pistol with a brace that looks Cool. The one angle i see is the 17L. Other than that? It's still a sub 5 inch barrel so i don't see any accuracy gain "Longer distance" over any other braced pistol option in 9mm....especially with 9mm.
More affordable or ATF "BJ Free?"
The ATF part may change, (again) and as far as more affordable than other options? I don't know. What is the cost of the Glock and the brace together? 9mm AR pistols are pretty cheap.
I'll buy into the weight part, because Plastic....and even the "versatility" since you can take it out of the brace and it's just a Pistol again.
It's cool, but i think i'll just do more 12 oz curls to be able to handle something with a barrel length and velocity increase that is more effective with distance in that caliber.

Then again, no justification needed to buy something that is "Cool" regardless of what others think.
i get that that. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Last edited by usrifle on Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:46 pm

deleted post

Last edited by surevaliance on Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Soooooo its cool and all, but its still a Glock thats attached to the brace, right?

Yes. They chose a pistol that doesn’t need to feed from a single stack magazine to avoid jamming.

zombie66 wrote:
And chose a lighter weight pistol so you dont wear out your arms using a single stack brick...

Watch your mouths! ahahaha!!

Divided we fall.

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:26 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oooh, that red dot mount is interesting!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:12 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

MadPick wrote:

But would be a bitch to zero, unless you shoot static at one distance. Look at the height over bore.

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
It's still a sub 5 inch barrel so i don't see any accuracy gain "Longer distance" over any other braced pistol option in 9mm....especially with 9mm.

Accuracy has very little to do with barrel length. Longer barrels are not inherently more accurate. What does matter for accuracy with this setup is the ability to hold & aim more precisely, with 3 points of contact instead of 1. It's still only as accurate as the base pistol, but the pistol is capable of far better accuracy than most shooters. 3 points of contact (like shown in the pics above) allow most shooters to better take advantage of that accuracy.

For the people who'll say "but muh Glock can't hit nuttin!" - it's not the gun, it's the shooter and your ability (or lack of) to break the trigger without movement. In most cases, a Glock with good ammo is capable of pretty good accuracy, they are just harder for the average shooter to shoot well.

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
MadPick wrote:

But would be a bitch to zero, unless you shoot static at one distance. Look at the height over bore.

Yes for sure. Personally I'd much rather a slide mounted dot, like in my pic back on page 1. Also note that a slide mounted RMR like the one in my pic is an excellent charging handle; you can't damage it short of extreme abuse, and the lens is recessed to avoid damage and hand prints as well. Don't do that with a cheap dot and cheap mount like surevailance showed though; those can and do break off, and the exposed lens gets scratched and smudged easily, speaking from personal experience.

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:00 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Ok, so I finally got my G17 in the recover tactical brace out to the range this morning. Aside from just wanting to shoot the thing, I wanted to also address a point that member Yondering had made about frame flex and vertical stringing while shooting.

Yondering wrote:
It worked pretty well, but my main complaint was based on the flexibility of the Glock frame; it resulted in vertical stringing, enough to be noticeable at 25 yards and was pretty sensitive to how I held it. Otherwise it was pretty good and was used to good effect on a few varmints in the yard. I'm interested to hear if this 20/20 setup solves that flex and stringing issue; it looks like it might.

Here is my setup:

I set out to try the brace in a few different shooting positions to see how it would fare. The below target shows shooting targets for sight in, sitting supported, standing supported, and standing unsupported. 15 rounds of 147gr from the same box were fired from each position at 15 yards. Here are the results:

Does flex in the brace cause vertical stringing? Yes, it absolutely does. It's definitely represented on the targets but I think it's even more pronounced when shooting. I have a Vortex Venom red dot on my G17 and as I took each shot I could clearly see the dot dropping below the target. Not to mention the shots dropping all low of the bullseye in shooting from each position.

So what's happening here? Well, when you hold the pistol brace tight against your, erm, forearm...you can very clearly see the plastic brace flex and the pistol begin to tilt downward. The tilt is then exaggerated by the recoil of the shot causing the shot to go low. How low seems to vary based on how much pressure is applied to the brace.

Is this a deal breaker? I don't think so, and full disclosure I'm intending this setup to be used for home defense so I'm applying an extra level of scrutiny. While the flex is causing most shots to go low, the added stability of the brace makes follow up shots much faster. So there's a bit of a trade off there. You won't be doing any bullseye shooting with this setup, but it is extremely light and compact. It's also very affordable, and very functional.

If you're discouraged by this news, don't lose hope yet! Recover Tactical is just now releasing for pre-order the MG9 "mag pouch." :bigsmile:

Aside from improving the ergonomics and answering the "WTF do I do with my other hand" question, I think the MG9 gri...er...mag pouch will provide enough real estate for your off hand to grab that it should alleviate some of the pressure on the brace. Having two firm points for your hands that are attached to the pistol frame should tame some of the recoil that the brace has to absorb. In that way, it should also cut down on some of the flex.

Overall, I think this brace is great! It is a truly compact and lightweight way to add the functionality of a carbine to your pistol. Like Madpick mentioned, it's not as good of a shooting experience as a Roni. But then again it's about 20% the size of a Roni. No doubt some sacrifices have been made in the comfort department in order to make this a compact and functional package, but I think that's ok. The Recover Tactical 20/20 brace does what many other companies have attempted to do in a brace that is either a much smaller package(compared to CAA Roni), or at a much lower price(compared to Flux Defense). In my opinion, it's a solid choice.

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:31 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good range report. thumbsup

Those groups at 15 yards are good, and cause me ZERO concern.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:41 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
Those groups at 15 yards are good, and cause me ZERO concern.

I agree. If we're considering the use of this brace being for defense, vertical stringing against a human silhouette isn't really an issue considering the human shape has plenty of real estate north and south. Even in a panic situation I'd imagine most shooters would see a net gain in control and accuracy using this brace.

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Ok, so I finally got my G17 in the recover tactical brace out to the range this morning. Aside from just wanting to shoot the thing, I wanted to also address a point that member Yondering had made about frame flex and vertical stringing while shooting.

Good analysis, and thanks for following up. Looks like it acts similarly to my setup, but as you and Madpick said, it's not a deal breaker at all, just something to be aware of. My concern with it is really more for longer distance anyway; I regularly practice with pistols at 50-100+ yards so of course the brace setup gets the same treatment, and it's a lot more noticeable at those distances but still manageable.

Pre-loading the pistol grip consistently seems to be the key to reducing the vertical stringing, and that mag holder piece may help with that as you said. I'm glad to see the front lower rail section is part of the 20/20 unit; I have some time on an SBR Glock with a vertical foregrip and found it pretty useless because the Glock dust cover is too flexible. With rapid fire or simply pushing forward on the foregrip, I was able to cause malfunctions (dust cover rubbing against the slide), and that was a pistol that ran flawlessly without the vertical foregrip. It looks like the 20/20 unit will avoid that issue, cool!

I'm not quite convinced to buy one yet since I've already got the Endo/Shockwave setup, but you guys have me interested anyway. Good stuff!

I am curious just for comparison - how well can you shoot the same pistol and ammo at 15 yards without the 20/20 system; how much improvement are you seeing? I ask partly because the braced Glock systems remind me a little of my old Kel-Tec Sub2000; without bragging I can say I'm a fairly good shot with both rifle and pistol, but the accuracy of that Sub2K was no better than I could do with most of my pistols offhand. Since I bought it to use as a backpacking gun, I decided to just carry my 10mm G20 instead since I could hit with it just as well at 100 yards. My Endo/Shockwave system on a Glock seems to be noticeably more accurate than that Sub2K, and of course much higher quality too.

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey mods and admins - I sure wish we had a "Like" button on these posts. I'd be clicking some in this thread for sure.

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How would you guys compare this to the Flux brace?

Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next