Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I Changed My Wallet Game 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I dont really do alot of reviews on gear I use daily as we all have different likes and tastes but with this new wallet I felt I should share it with you guys/gals in hopes of solving some back/butt pain.

For 43 years of my life I have been carrying a leather wallet of various types in my rear back pocket except when I drive which being a commercial truck driver has had its challenges as I HATE leaving my wallet anywhere besides on me.

I have been looking at minimalist wallets for a few weeks now as I was pretty much done carrying my fatty leather wallet, my coworker has a Trayvax wallet and I looked at them pretty hard but rocking a wallet that sounds like a Herpes Medication is a tough pill to swallow (haa haa get it lol) and I do NOT like the metal “skeleton “ which seemed like a pain in the ass to get my cards/cash out.

In my search I came across the Ridge Wallet and I was intrigued so I pulled the trigger on the Gunmetal Aluminum with the cash strap (You can get money clip option as well) model for 85+tax on Amazon which showed up the next day, I wanted to kick in another 25 for the Titanium model but the only color Amazon offered in that one was kinda odd.

So Im 3 days into carrying this in my cargo pocket of my work pants and has been great except it is so small & light I cannot feel the bulge/weight of fatty wallet that I am constantly banging my pocket making sure its there.

Another thing that makes this great for me personally is I am literally only carrying what I need and after cleaning my old wallet I cannot beleive how much crap I was hauling around in fatty leather, the only crap thing I had to do was trim my CPL and well it kinda fell apart.....OOOOPS, It fits and thats all I care about.

What are you guys using besides the traditional billfold?

Since all men are visual animals here is a few pics.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m sure your not the only one that can’t feel the bulge.. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

farfrompar28 wrote:

Small hands/feet, grape sized head......FML!!!!

Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:
farfrompar28 wrote:

Small hands/feet, grape sized head......FML!!!!

Yeah, but you’re hung like a house fly.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've considered those minimalist wallets, but I like carrying a couple business cards to be able to give out and those minimalist wallets all seem like they wouldn't protect the corners.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:19 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Have you tried using your front pocket? I switched when I got out of the military. Did infers for my back issues.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

zombie66 wrote:

I've followed a similar path.

A couple of years ago I bought one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RFID-Blocking- ... ns-Wallet/

It was pretty nice, I was happy with it. But I felt a little guilty for buying the cheap knockoff, so after I had used it enough to conclude that this was the style I wanted, I sprung for the Ridge Titanium with the money clip and that's what I've been using for maybe a year and a half.

Honestly, I loved both wallets. The Ridge is definitely cooler, but I'm not sure it's really worth $95 more. No regrets on my part, but at least in the short term they were both good.

I kept my fat old leather wallet, and it rides in my car know with the "non-essential" stuff. (Backup credit cards, RSO card, Cabelas card, C&R FFL, that kind of stuff.) So if I ever really need those things (and I hardly ever do), I can retrieve them from the car. The only things that ride in the Ridge are a few folded bills in the money clip, and then my credit card, debit card, driver's license, CPL and medical insurance card. Costco card . . . hell, I just use the app now and flash the screen when I go in.

Yeah . . . it felt REALLY good to lighten that load. :thumbsup2:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
Have you tried using your front pocket? I switched when I got out of the military. Did infers for my back issues.

The real issue with that for me is wearing Jeans, in my left pocket I have my keys, knife and light, right pocket has my phone which leaves just the 2 rear pockets.....

Srid2K, your right about the corners of your business cards not being protected but If I was you I would just get a cheapy metal wallet for those.

Last edited by zombie66 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
zombie66 wrote:

I've followed a similar path.

A couple of years ago I bought one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RFID-Blocking- ... ns-Wallet/

It was pretty nice, I was happy with it. But I felt a little guilty for buying the cheap knockoff, so after I had used it enough to conclude that this was the style I wanted, I sprung for the Ridge Titanium with the money clip and that's what I've been using for maybe a year and a half.

Honestly, I loved both wallets. The Ridge is definitely cooler, but I'm not sure it's really worth $95 more. No regrets on my part, but at least in the short term they were both good.

I kept my fat old leather wallet, and it rides in my car know with the "non-essential" stuff. (Backup credit cards, RSO card, Cabelas card, C&R FFL, that kind of stuff.) So if I ever really need those things (and I hardly ever do), I can retrieve them from the car. The only things that ride in the Ridge are a few folded bills in the money clip, and then my credit card, debit card, driver's license, CPL and medical insurance card. Costco card . . . hell, I just use the app now and flash the screen when I go in.

Yeah . . . it felt REALLY good to lighten that load. :thumbsup2:

How has the elastic held up over the year you have had yours?

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:29 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

zombie66 wrote:
How has the elastic held up over the year you have had yours?

No issues, looks damned near new.

Now with that said, this wallet sees a lot less abuse than my old one did. It’s not riding around in my back pocket all day; I’m much more likely to just slip it into a jacket pocket. And I’ve also started using Apple Pay as much as I can (using my phone), so I’m not constantly digging the credit card out anymore.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dam that looks good, unfortunately for me I have my DL, my work ID,my Debit Card , CC, Medical Card, work CC, and CPL so I tried to minimize as much as possible which leaves it a little thick but not nearly as bad as fatty leather

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Off topic: the mention of slim wallets, digital cards, and concealed carry make me think of a question. If I digitized my CPL and have it in an accessible cloud and on my phone, would it pass muster if I had to actually pull it out?

I as well like slim wallets, but I’ve been carrying this around, it’s larger than I’d like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mr. Q on Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:
Off topic: the mention of slim wallets, digital cards, and concealed carry make me think of a question. If I digitized my CPL and have it in an accessible cloud and on my phone, would it pass muster if I had to actually pull it out?

Off topic my ass, I wanna know too!!!

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:
Mr. Q wrote:

Off topic my ass, I wanna know too!!!
My reading of the statute is that you have to have the physical license:

RCW 9.41.050 wrote:
Carrying firearms.
(1)(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so.

So I would recommend carrying it, even though it's just an infraction if you don't, and who knows if you'll get a ticket if you have a digital copy. I've never had anyone ask for mine.

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scrid2000 wrote:
My reading of the statute is that you have to have the physical license:

RCW 9.41.050 wrote:
Carrying firearms.
(1)(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so.

So I would recommend carrying it, even though it's just an infraction if you don't, and who knows if you'll get a ticket if you have a digital copy. I've never had anyone ask for mine.

See...I read that and there isn’t anything that would prohibit me from producing my CPL in a digital form... in my non-legal opinion.

I’m thinking I’ll definitely have my CPL digitally backed up and not be so worried if I forget to switch when I pick up my super slim wallets. YMMV

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next