Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:11 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Solar generator setup 

Picked up the package from Lion Energy via the Costco road show, but starting to consider one available on special event now instead. The Ecoflow stuff looks better and we saw some great reviews on other stuff. Still trying get value without top spending though.
Who here has experience or other input?

Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of setups available for various costs.

What is your intention of use? Powering house? Off grid, camping, tailgating?

Of course back up power but what's the primary plan? Goes to how much power the battery has and then how much the solar power panels may produce.

Granted we are in Washington so it's limited at best for solar and solar panels even rated are only good for about 40-65% of it's rated power producing (in reality).

Put some parameters on what your are looking for. Cost being the most significant/important. Size or portability may be one of your reasons too.

I budgeted $2500.

Purchased the Jackery 1000W with 2 100W solar panels. I paid just over $1100 on sale. It's listed at $1500 now.
https://www.jackery.com/collections/fea ... -generator

It's an all in one unit. Simple function and proven over time. Lots of reviews by active off grid users meaning they use it a lot.

I also picked up a gas powered generator 5500W as a back up.

Mine is for camping and travel use and of course emergency back up power, if needed.

*Reminds me I have to go test out the gas powered generator for it's monthly test/function.

Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:07 am

It's a big back-and-forth decision about the mix and schedule, but currently the plan is for some emergency prep and some not too far off early stage property work. A dual fuel generator is definitely part of the plan as well sooner than later, but the renewable factor still makes more solar capacity desirable.
I'm seeing Costco having a package with the Jackery now and might be a better deal. It looks like the panels might be a bit more durable than some. Do they seem rather durable to you? What do you know about it's expandability?

oldkim wrote:
Lots of setups available for various costs.

What is your intention of use? Powering house? Off grid, camping, tailgating?

Of course back up power but what's the primary plan? Goes to how much power the battery has and then how much the solar power panels may produce.

Granted we are in Washington so it's limited at best for solar and solar panels even rated are only good for about 40-65% of it's rated power producing (in reality).

Put some parameters on what your are looking for. Cost being the most significant/important. Size or portability may be one of your reasons too.

I budgeted $2500.

Purchased the Jackery 1000W with 2 100W solar panels. I paid just over $1100 on sale. It's listed at $1500 now.
https://www.jackery.com/collections/fea ... -generator

It's an all in one unit. Simple function and proven over time. Lots of reviews by active off grid users meaning they use it a lot.

I also picked up a gas powered generator 5500W as a back up.

Mine is for camping and travel use and of course emergency back up power, if needed.

*Reminds me I have to go test out the gas powered generator for it's monthly test/function.

Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]