Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Amazon GO! store in Frederickson 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

TechnoWeenie wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
Are you on your timed lunch hour, or something?

I guess I don’t quite understand the rush and to try beat the previous fast time…

It's the concept of the store. No lines. No cashiers. I was trying to see how fast they could be for the average Joe.

How does payment work? If I just grab an off the shelf item do I scan it with the app? Does the store not let you out until you’ve paid for the items you’re carrying? Only Amazon prime allowed in the store?

Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From their website:

What is Just Walk Out Shopping?
We created the world’s most advanced shopping technology so you never have to wait in line. Amazon Go was the first store to open with Just Walk Out Technology. Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by the same types of technologies used in self-driving cars: computer vision, sensor fusion, and deep learning. Just Walk Out Technology automatically detects when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you’re done shopping, you can just leave the store. Later, we’ll send you a receipt and charge your Amazon account.

Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

I guess I don’t quite understand the rush and to try beat the previous fast time…

It's the concept of the store. No lines. No cashiers. I was trying to see how fast they could be for the average Joe.

How does payment work? If I just grab an off the shelf item do I scan it with the app? Does the store not let you out until you’ve paid for the items you’re carrying? Only Amazon prime allowed in the store?

It's all automated.

Use your phone to get into the store.... walk in..... grab what you want... walk out... It charges your card on file.

That's it.. That's what I was referring to in terms of treating it like your kitchen... you can walk in, grab something out of the fridge, and walk out.

If you watch the beginning of the video, you'll see I flip my phone over so the screen with the code is read by the scanner - that's how you enter.

If you watch the end of the video, you'll see I just walk out after getting my wrap.

If you wanna go the extra length, they do allow you to scan your palm and use your palmprint as your 'key'.... and you wouldn't even need your phone to enter...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:

If you wanna go the extra length, they do allow you to scan your palm and use your palmprint as your 'key'.... and you wouldn't even need your phone to enter...

That has biblical overtones that make me uncomfortable

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

That has biblical overtones that make me uncomfortable

Did your palm make you uncomfortable Last night in a biblical sense?

:peep:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:01 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

It's all automated.

Use your phone to get into the store.... walk in..... grab what you want... walk out... It charges your card on file.

That's it.. That's what I was referring to in terms of treating it like your kitchen... you can walk in, grab something out of the fridge, and walk out.

If you watch the beginning of the video, you'll see I flip my phone over so the screen with the code is read by the scanner - that's how you enter.

If you watch the end of the video, you'll see I just walk out after getting my wrap.

Admittedly I didn’t watch the 15 minute video on “dude getting food at a convenience store.” That’s kind of crazy though. The level of tracking in the store and monitoring is a little unsettling. Yay convenience! Boo skynet!

Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed.

That’s too much open access to everything on my phone…

Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

It's all automated.

Admittedly I didn’t watch the 15 minute video on “dude getting food at a convenience store.” That’s kind of crazy though. The level of tracking in the store and monitoring is a little unsettling. Yay convenience! Boo skynet!

Halfway through the video I panned up to the ceiling. there's literally a camera about every 2-3 feet.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
walk in..... grab what you want... walk out... It charges your card on file.

What an insane concept!!!

Oh wait, this is how Ive been buying things like gravel for years!
I drive in, get 10-20tons of the aggregate of my choice,then they charge my card that's on file on my way out! NO need for cashiers or getting my wallet out, crazy!

Who knew places like the rock quarry were so ahead of their time! :thumbsup2:

Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like Amazon is closing 2 of these in Seattle. (8 total, 2 in Seattle, 2 in New York City, & 4 in San Francisco)

I guess some people have a different concept of “cashierless”…

Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2