Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:16 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Kel-tec KSG 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I've finally gotten my KSG outfitted to my liking and have made a trip to the range. So additions to the stock KSG are few and simple. AIM flip up sights and a Magpul AFG. No other mods were needed in my opinion.

To start things off is my arrival at the range. Walking onto the range, I could feel the eyes focused on me. Everyone there knew exactly what they were looking at and were all trying to figure out a way to start a conversation. Finally the group next to me drummed up enough courage, "is that one of those Kel-tec shotguns?" asked one of them. "Sure is" I replied "would you like to come take a look?". With that the whole place came over to check it out.

After fighting off the masses I settled down to truely familiarize myself with this weapon. Working the action, switching the loading tubes, getting used to the balance. This was pure torture knowing that all I really wanted to do was pull the trigger, cycle the action and put as much lead down range as possible. "In time" I said to myself.

Well the time had come. I loaded 2 shells into each tube and cycled the first shell into the chamber. Centered sights on target, released safety, finger on trigger, wait for the pause in my breath and sqeeze. "Click" was all that was heard followed by a WTF!!!!!. I waited. Making sure there wasn't a primer issue. Finaly after a couple minutes I ejected the shell to find that there wasn't a single mark on the primer. This was a bit confusing.

I double checked that my safety was released. Round 2 chambered my focus is back on target. Sight in the target. Squeeze, "Click". Again the KSG failed to fire. This time after seeing no evidence of primer strike I disassembled the KSG. 2 pins is all it takes to remove the trigger and hammer assembly. With this removed I could see pretty much everything. I inspected everything. Nothing seemed to be out of order. I began wondering if the firing pin was cut too short.

Without finding anything "wrong" I put it back together and tried one more time before the phone calls to Florida began. This time, sqeeze, BANG!. Like a bomb going off on my shoulder it punched a slug sized hole just low and left of the bull. A smile from ear to ear was on my face along with everyone elses. I switched tubes and cycled in another shell. Sqeeze, "Click" . I was about to lose my cool. All eyes were on me.

Keeping in mind that this is a mechanical object I started from the begining. What I found was the hammer binding in the chanel that it passes through to strike the firing pin. Therefore not ever actually striking the pin. I worked the hammer through the chanel several times until it began to loosen up. After this it worked without a hitch. I loaded both tubes and ran 15 shells through it with out problem.

The end result was mixed. My first impression was very disappointing but the final display of pure fire power left me very satisfied in my purchase. Like anything there seems to be a "break-in" period on these. Fortunately this was found at the range and not during an emergancy.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:16 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow . . . sorry that happened to you. It's especially bad when you've got a brand-new toy, and the whole world is watching you. :frust:

But it sounds like you got the kinks worked out of it, and you're rocking and rolling! WaGuns group shoot time! :rockout:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:20 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Bummer! Hope that settles out... no fun to have that sort of thing. I went through a similar with my XDM, finding out the previous owner basically submerged the striker in oil giving me lots of light strikes.

You must post some photos!

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

She's working just fine now. I'll try to get some pics up. I have lost my patch cable for my camera but am going to pick one up soon.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Awesome report and glad to hear that she ended up running well for ya. I know the frustration when all eyes are on you and things don't go as planned.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]