Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Alessi Gun Holsters... and you. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, being a voluntary member of the wonderful world of academia, I find myself with my ass firmly planted within a desk chair for several hours a day.
Because of this, I find it sometimes very difficult to pocket carry or IWB carry my Chief's Special or the Detective Special.
Since my go-to holster maker, Exodus Gun Leather does not make shoulder rigs, I had to look elsewhere.
Over the passed few days I have been doing a lot of research into shoulder rigs.
The constant winner in the reviews I have read state that no one can beat the Lou Alessi design.
So, this morning I called Alessi Gun Holsters in New York and spoke with Tom who took over the company after Lou passed.
He and I spoke in detail about what I wanted and what the shoulder rig was going to be used for.
We decided to go with a "double rig", since I am about to pick up a second J-frame. So, one holster on each side of the rig.
With that, Tom took all my billing and shipping information, reviewed with me what I was going to get, and tallied up the cost.
He stated that I would be billed once the rig was ready to ship (in roughly 2 weeks! HOT DAMN!) and also gave me a rather nice discount on the total.
Here is a shameless picture I stole off the interwebs, since my rig won't be in for a bit.

The holster is a variation on the Berns-Martin design popular from the 1930's through the 1970's.
What I really like about the Alessi version is that they do not use elastic or spring steel to retain the revolver.
They use a snap design that is placed so that it is disengaged while you grasp the revolver stock and a second snap is disengaged as the revolver is drawn.
Which, to me seems far more reliable than elastic, both in the short term and also after a few decades of wear and use.
Another large reason I went with Alessi is due to the fact that Tom will stand beside his products. Period.
From what I have read from old timers who carried on the job with these, they conceal amazingly well and you really forget the revolver is even there.
The only caution I received was that I will need to make sure I get the straps on the harness fitted properly so that the revolvers hang in a manner which is safe and also for comfort.
Again, I will say that it was a pleasure making this order. It is not often the owner of the leather shop will take the 45 plus minutes Tom took with me to go into detail about which of his products would be best for my applications. It was actually rather refreshing. It is also nice to be able to do so, rather than ordering something like Galco (which I detest) from a warehouse and not receiving any sort of personal service to make sure I am getting exactly what it is I am spending my $265 on.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always nice to hear about a positive customer service experience. I had an Alessi for that Combatmaster I had, it was a nice holster even after many years of use. I would like a nice shoulder rig myself, I will look into them.
Thanks for the review Drew. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow only a 2 weeks lead time for one of those. That's sweet!

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are nice holsters. My Galco has worked but definitely just a mass production unit.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
Those are nice holsters. My Galco has worked but definitely just a mass production unit.

I looked at the Galco offerings for about 5 minutes.
The reviews I read all basically said what I already knew.
For less than $100 more the step up in quality I would receive was far more than worth it.
Yes, Galco shoves out mass produced holsters like Ford does shitty cars.
The fit and finish just are not there to justify a $220 Galco rig.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
-- Oscar Wilde
-- Marcus Aurelius
-- MadPick

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what does the rectangular pouch, lower center of pic, hold?

Looks like a well made rig.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
what does the rectangular pouch, lower center of pic, hold?

Speed strip pouch. The rig comes with either a speed loader pouch or a speed strip pouch.

-- John Steinbeck
-- Oscar Wilde
-- Marcus Aurelius
-- MadPick

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's what I suspected. I would opt for it rather than the circular speed loaders (I have both kinds) but I think the flat strips would conceal more easily/comfortably.

It appears the revolvers hang grip down?

Please post pix when you get it adjusted and are wearing it?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another picture stolen from the bowels of the internet.
This guy is wearing the rig rather loosely. It should fit up closer to the armpit.

-- John Steinbeck
-- Oscar Wilde
-- Marcus Aurelius
-- MadPick

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bhpdrew wrote:
dan360 wrote:

I looked at the Galco offerings for about 5 minutes.
The reviews I read all basically said what I already knew.
For less than $100 more the step up in quality I would receive was far more than worth it.
Yes, Galco shoves out mass produced holsters like Ford does shitty cars.
The fit and finish just are not there to justify a $220 Galco rig.

Agreed. The only reason I still use it is it was purchased cheap and the additional pieces can be had for peanuts as Galco resale value is garbage.

Otherwise, custom like that Alessi all the way.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you wanna see my holster, see? Flatfoot?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SHOULDER-HOLSTER-GEORGE-LAWRENCE-540-S-W-M36-CHIEFS-LEFT-HANDED-SCARCE/222008145419?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Db0b7d45f54e043f0ac05dcf800c6c3e7%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D291675806563

Pretty primitive hunh? Mine's black and right handed. Got it with a baretta .380 from an old RR cabooseman.

FJB

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for pointing that out. Just won the bid on it.
Not a bad deal since the new ones sell for $400-500.
That way if I only want to carry one J frame, I can.

-- John Steinbeck
-- Oscar Wilde
-- Marcus Aurelius
-- MadPick

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been spending this evening fitting this.
I've got it just about as fit as well as I can.
Given its age, fitting it is a little more difficult than newer offerings.
It is actually quite comfortable now, as it is.
I like it.
Here it hangs before I started fiddle fucking with it.
Fit pretty close as it was.
However, I wanted it to fit a bit tighter.
It has a tie down strap, which I am not too fond of. But, I can work with it.

I am pretty excited about getting the Alessi set up.

-- John Steinbeck
-- Oscar Wilde
-- Marcus Aurelius
-- MadPick

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bhpdrew wrote:
I've been spending this evening fitting this.
I've got it just about as fit as well as I can.
Given its age, fitting it is a little more difficult than newer offerings.
It is actually quite comfortable now, as it is.
I like it.
Here it hangs before I started fiddle fucking with it.
Fit pretty close as it was.
However, I wanted it to fit a bit tighter.
It has a tie down strap, which I am not too fond of. But, I can work with it.

I am pretty excited about getting the Alessi set up.

Who is the pygmy with the hipster sweater on?

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yep. just like mine. I thought that one was a lefty. is that pic taken in a mirror?

FJB

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next