Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Mostly OT review: Herolily ice packs 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last year when I had I had my first knee replacement, my ice machine died and it was going to take a few days to get a new one. I found these on Amazon.com with one day shipping. Unlike other ice packs, these will stay frozen for hours, they typically last about three hours wrapped around my knee. I use them during the day when I'm more mobile, vs the ice machine when I'm sleeping.

They have to be hydrated before use, which takes a couple of hours per sheet (you can do multiple sheets at once in the sink). They're also a bit slimy after the hydration process, but a quick wipe with a towel fixes that.

Highly recommended: https://www.amazon.com/Herolily-Advance ... s=Herolily

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just ordered a 3 pack, our current ice packs are getting old.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:36 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Thanks David. It looks interesting.
We make ice packs with water and isopropyl alcohol, then add a bit of blue dye to the mix. The gallon ziploc bags, doubled- work good so far, but always interested in finding improvements in life.
3 hours is amazing!

The statement below makes me suspicious of Chemistry WooWoo.
Quote:
The longer it is frozen, the longer it can last and stay cold.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had that exact thought when I read that, however I think there's a grain of (stretched) truth in it. We have two freezers but mostly only rotate through 4 packs in our regular fridge so we don't have to go out into our deep freezer in the garage. So the ones in the deep freezer are frozen at a lower temp (which is probably the real driving factor) for a longer time, and they do seem to last longer, but I've done no real testing to prove that.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:29 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
I just ordered a 3 pack, our current ice packs are getting old.

I think you'll be happy with them. When I start doing PT all the time (next week), I'll typically come home and wrap my knee with three ice packs, two in front, and one behind the knee.

What sucks is I can't sit in a bath or hot tub for 4-6 weeks. My back is grumpy about that.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:37 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is perfect. Just had some knee surgery and need to constantly ice.

I have an ice machine, but it's a bit difficult to get setup when you're not mobile. Throwing a long lasting ice pack on it makes it a bit easier.

Thanks!

+82 positive feedback on SGN

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:13 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok. Had these a few weeks now and I can say they are pretty much the best thing ever. They bend easily and hold cold for a loooooooong time. They get used almost daily.

I bought 3. 2 stay in the house freezer and I have one in the deep freezer. Pretty slick, I’m impressed.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Ok. Had these a few weeks now and I can say they are pretty much the best thing ever. They bend easily and hold cold for a loooooooong time. They get used almost daily.

I bought 3. 2 stay in the house freezer and I have one in the deep freezer. Pretty slick, I’m impressed.

I'm glad you like them, my use had tapered off in the past couple of weeks, but I still slap one on my knee when I get home from PT, and occasionally sleep with one on it if my PT guy was particularly cruel.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:56 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Massivedesign wrote:

:cussing: :thumbsdown:

Time comparisons please. Weight the bag of this magic ice, make same weight water/alcohol ice, freeze in same spot in freezer, make chart of temperature rise vs time.

Bejeezlus!

Attachment:
Dan icefigure-15-03-03a.jpeg

The part circled in blue please, properly stretched out to an appropriate time scale on the bottom.
A well made diagram will have two traces of contrasting colors, one for H2O and the other for the magic chemical woo woo.

Thank you. :inlove:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:14 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

..... sure.... not

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]