Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 WaGuns Book Reviews 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Spoiler: show

Control, by Glenn Beck.

I have written about this book before, and sent out several in PIFs a few years ago.
Let's look at the message, not the messenger. No matter how someone feels about Glenn Beck, the solid information and logical arguments presented in this case can help you discuss guns and gun control with the misguided but well-meaning people who think that "if only there was a law!"

The book has two parts:
Part One : The Truth About Guns
Part Two : Winning Hearts and Minds

In Part One each argument against 2A and for gun control is taken on in a very methodical way- Starting out by taking the words right from the horse's mouth, so to speak. These are not nebulous made up talking points, but actual quotes taken from published and broadcast arguments against us.
Quote:
...something that would answer all the lies about guns that are repeated again and again and often go uncontested. But instead of making up arguments - which would inevitably result in critics saying that no one really makes those claims, or that I misrepresented them- I wanted to use actual quotes.

So the lies, misrepresentations and false "commonsense" arguments against guns and 2A are actual quotes attributed to real people. They are published and broadcast, so when someone claims "No one is trying to take away your guns!" you will have actual verifiable sources to show that the anti-Constitution Controlists do, in fact, want to completely disarm our previously free nation.
There are 36 segments in Part One. Each one starts out with a QUOTE from the MSM, attributed to a real person or more than one, and then is followed by a systematic breakdown of how it is either a lie, a misrepresentation, or simply false.

In Part Two, five sections that address the television, video game, and other influences that may be having negative consequences on our children and society.
The book ends with "A Way Forward" and gives suggestions for how we as a society can help fix this situation in which fear and emotions are being used to lead us away from a solution to the disagreement about guns.

The last section of the book is a very valuable "Notes" section, in which the quotes and arguments against 2A and guns are referenced for looking up and verifying accuracy. The notes are organized and presented in an easy to follow manner- no need to look up this little subscript here, or match numbers on different pages. They are given in the same order that they are presented in the book, but placed at the end of the book for further reading instead of cluttering up the actual argument.

You can find this book at many online bookshops. BWB has been my "go to" for a few years.
Book = https://www.betterworldbooks.com/produc ... 1476739878
Audio Disc = https://www.betterworldbooks.com/produc ... 1442365506

Shopping : Control: Exposing the Truth About Guns

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im a local history buff and read and collect many local books. I dont have a specific book recommendation right now.

But there is a great used book shop in Enumclaw that I enjoy stopping at. "The Sequel" on Cole ST. The place is pretty large and the gal that owns it knows every book and where they are in the store. She has a great trade in program that gives you good credit on your old stuff and a discount on your purchase. Its in the OLD downtown portion of Enumscratch. Its just a couple blocks before Tuttle's Gun shop on the right. So a decent reason to go that way and waste a couple hours at the book store and Tuttle's also.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Compared to all ya'll, I read some real trash when I'm trying to relax.

I strongly recommend that if you like action adventure, low fantasy at all you pick up a copy of Monster Hunter International (first book is free on the Kindle) and just give it a fast read.

Is it a piece of high fiction? No.
Is it a fast read, with lots of fun little gun details and a goddamned werewolf trying to eat the protagonist? Yes.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have been re-reading the "Going Home" series by A. American (a pen name, obviously). While I was waiting for the sixth book to arrive at the library I started reading Lt. Col. Grossman's book called "On Killing" about the psychological effects of killing.

For a change of pace I also just started a translated Sci-Fi novel called the "Three Body Problem".
Don't quite know yet what the premise of the book is (i read a brief synopsis before I checked it out, but the waiting list was so long I've forgotten!)

The first chapters of the book sets some of the characters history by relating their experiences during the Cultural Revolution where professors and administrators were being persecuted by the radical students.... sounds a lot like where things are going her in the U.S. today, but I digress...

I like the prose enough to have high hopes for the book. Film at eleven.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue May 15, 2018 6:57 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

It's old, but that's the way I like 'em. 1935.

I really enjoy reading things that come from before a pertinent discovery or before a huge event that changes the world.
Good stuff. I recommend it.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. From Brookings. What year?

I'm reading "Helmet for My Pillow. ..." by Robert Leckie. Basically it's the story they used for The Pacific. But much richer and detailed. Keeps me riveted.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Last edited by Pablo on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:40 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Pablo wrote:
I'm reading "Helmet for My Pillow. ..." by Robert Leckie. Basically it the story they used for The Pacific. But much richer and detailed. Keeps me riveted.

I have a series called "The Pacific" on DVD. Same one?

When men fought for freedom, instead of trying to make everything "fair".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Leckie_(author)

Pablo wrote:

A hint about how old :

Check out their declared devotion to fair, unbiased and honest reporting.

Titlepage with year:

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Pablo wrote:
I'm reading "Helmet for My Pillow. ..." by Robert Leckie. Basically it the story they used for The Pacific. But much richer and detailed. Keeps me riveted.

I have a series called "The Pacific" on DVD. Same one?

When men fought for freedom, instead of trying to make everything "fair".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Leckie_(author)

Pablo wrote:

A hint about how old :

Check out their declared devotion to fair, unbiased and honest reporting.

Titlepage with year:
\

Wow thanks. $2.50 for a book was a chunk of change in those days.

Yes, The Pacific - same guy. I loved the series, and if you did - the book is way way better, IMHO. He writes in a very simple style. Some parts are hilarious, some crazy shit scary.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Geez where to begin? And this is not the first thread of its kind on here.

I can strongly recommend the following "prepper" or disaster survival type fiction novels:
Farnham's Freehold by Robert Heinlein
Patriots by James Rawles (this is the only strong "recommend" out of his fiction books, which have become more political and less action-packed with each iteration)
The "Enemies" trilogy by Matthew Bracken
Castigo Cay by Matthew Bracken
One Second After by William Forstchen (there are more in the series, I just haven't read them yet)
Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Twilight World by Poul Anderson
Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

And, as a subset, the dystopia "must reads":
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
1984 by George Orwell
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

So many modern parallels, and these were written in the '30s-'50s.

And the following sci-fi novels are great (IMO) but some are an acquired taste:

The Hyperion series by Dan Simmons (most of his books are terrific but he's not much of a gun guy)
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (Seattle author, interesting near-future scenario)
The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (farther future scenario, very good)
Reamde by Neal Stephenson (ok yeah, I like his books...this one is modern with some interesting twists and turns)
The Neuromancer (or, more correctly, Sprawl) trilogy by William Gibson
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein (there are no terrible Heinlein books, but the later Lazarus Long ones with lots of Oedipus complex / incest / etc are damn weird)
The Gateway series by Frederik Pohl
The Dune books by Frank Herbert (Tacoma native. Don't bother with the ones his son wrote)
The Ender books by Orson Scott Card (they get weirder as they go along, but worth it)

And some disses:
I love sci-fi but never got into Asimov and in particular the Foundation series; oddly enough, while many of the above sci-fi books were made into movies they universally sucked, but Asimov's books (along with Philip K. Dick's) typically translated well to the big screen. I didn't like David Brin's "The Postman" which most post-apocalyptic fans love. I don't get into overly-political survival fiction because a) it's not entertaining and b) it goes obsolete super fast. Imagine reading an otherwise excellent prepper novel with Hillary as President?

Shameless plug for my book which I hope to have out next month. Releasing in 2 halves due to size electronically, and based on response a single physical book available this winter/spring 2019 sometime. It's definitely prepper/survival fiction that I believe falls in between Rawles and Bracken in terms of that balance between action and food for thought.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:30 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

hkcavalier wrote:
Shameless plug for my book which I hope to have out next month. Releasing in 2 halves due to size electronically, and based on response a single physical book available this winter/spring 2019 sometime. It's definitely prepper/survival fiction that I believe falls in between Rawles and Bracken in terms of that balance between action and food for thought.

You mentioned this in another thread and my ears perked up.
Looking forward to it sir. :wagwoot:

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll give your book a shake probably, HK. May have to wait to see it in the library, though.

I've just read "Powerless" about a CME that takes out the grid(s).... and now into a book by the sameguy called "Cataclysm about an eruption at the Jellystone supervolcano. (Tim Washburn)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I'll give your book a shake probably, HK. May have to wait to see it in the library, though.

I've just read "Powerless" about a CME that takes out the grid(s).... and now into a book by the sameguy called "Cataclysm about an eruption at the Jellystone supervolcano. (Tim Washburn)

Jellystone supervolcano? Is Yogi Bear like a Burt Gummer/Tremors character? :rofl9:

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like reading about societal decay (I pretend to like it so I can be aware and gain survival strategies, but I guess I just have this morbid curiosity for human suffering?)

So, anyway I got a new book and it turns out I'm reading some LGBT literature! (I'm so progressive!) Got a book called "Random Acts of Senseless Violence".
It's a book about the collapse of the nation in a slow-burn economic way. Pretty realistic as it portrays a slow decay not really initiated by a major event...

The protagonist is a twelve year old middle class jewish girl in New York, and as the economy decays and her family's poverty increases she devolves into a street rat (and turns ghey).

The story is written as diary entries. Cycle of poverty stuff... economic collapse and eventual replacement of the dollar... are depicted as background for her own fall into hopelessness.

FJB

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So funny Jim. Last week I started:

The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth Book 1) Kindle Edition

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Writer is a left winger. It's a little complex, writing style a bit odd but different. Some of the reviewers couldn't follow it (I take that as a challenge). But the earth quaky earth and defined "magic" are decent.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

got me a Kindle version of The Fedaralist Papers :thumbsup2:
only started last night and got to #4. pretty neat that on Kindle i can just highlight a word and it instantly pops up a dictionary, me being ESL need that at least 5 times a page, that old English is not so easy to read at first, but i'm patient :wink05:

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next