Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Comfort Cling Holster 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Rather than answer a question in the OP of this thread : viewtopic.php?f=40&t=89045 I'm writing a full review.

Back in December I was looking to replace this well loved IWB holster made by Uncle Mike's.
Spoiler: show

There are spots that light shines through the material. Maybe it was time to replace it with something new, eh?
I bought the Uncle Mike's in Colorado about 7 years ago when I was there for a week-long training event. That was just about the time that I started conceal carrying regularly, as before that I OC'd almost exclusively because I was mostly in very rural and private land. The times that I CC'd mostly consisted of pocket carry or regular OC holster with a coat thrown on. Primitive, just like me.
So the Uncle Mike's was a game changer for me- and I became hooked on IWB as my daily carry, and as my BUG when I was OC'ing.

The Comfort Cling Holster from Clinger arrived at the end of December.

I'm a sucker for anything that is Made in the USA.

The material is much more stout and grippy than the Uncle Mike's- No surprise, it makes use of gription to hold it in place instead of the plastic clip.

I specified the pistol that it was to be used on and the fit was perfect. I've been using the old worn out IWB for so long that I had forgotten what a good fit is like.

The old holster with the plastic clip gave me one position to place it in on the belt... The Clinger allows me to change the exposure and the angle, and I am still working through the possibilities 2 months later.

One of the major differences between the Clinger and the old neoprene Uncle Mike's is the ability to get a little bit acrobatic, or at least bounce yourself around and keep the pistol in position. With the neoprene holster I am always relying on the belt to keep the pistol secure in the holster... I'm building a house and the Tool of Freedom would frequently feel like it was going to fall out of the holster as I was climbing or hanging or swinging around too vigorously.
I don't get that feeling with the Comfort Cling holster. I can do every bit of the work that I am doing without having that sensation that it is about to slip out. I use an inversion table to stretch my back out a few times a day... With the neoprene holster I had to take it out and set it up out of reach during those 1-2 minutes of being upside down. With the Cling holster- no problem, stays in position.

Now about the longevity.
Obviously I kept the Uncle Mike's in service for too long. It was a daily carry, and it sort of lasted for all of 7 years.
The Clinger is a thicker material, and the outside has the feel of a type of leather, just clingier.
The inside is more like a nylon or canvas... a bit coarser than regular neoprene, and not sticky like the exterior. Still, it holds the Tool of Freedom well, and much better than the neoprene but still has low friction for an easy draw.
So The longevity is something to be discussed in a year or two, but the feel of the material is that of a sturdier and longer lasting product than the simple neoprene.
I'm glad to make the upgrade and recommend it for a simple, clean, low profile holster.

If I missed a detail that you'd like to know about my experiences with this holster just ask.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:17 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

An update on the Comfort Cling Holster:
It's holding up much better than the Uncle Mike's that I used for my EDC for several years.
The upper right corner is not in bad shape like it looks like in this view.

Just a seam.

I've been horribly hard on this holster this year, and it has only grown to fit the Tool of Freedom that it encases. It still clings nicely, and it's the quickest and easiest holster that I have owned that goes from my nightstand to my carry positions.

I am regularly under machinery, rolling on the concrete, and putting it to the tests pretty much every single day. It has been drenched in both water and sweat, and showed absolutely no adverse effect.

I'm impressed.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lol that uncle mikes looks like a dishrag!

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice, I've never heard of clinger. I have had remora and sticky brands of holsters which both utilize the friction no clip idea. And of those 2 the remora is WAY more durable. I'll have to give clinger a try next time.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I eat a lot of raisins or stuff with iron in it I get clingers, bad. (It helps if I trim/manscape)

I have a "sticky" (nothing to do with raisins) brand holster that is neoprene. It's lasted a good long time but I may have to give one of these a try as the sticky is almost worn through.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cut/trim to size and shape... And sew to the outsides of your uncle mike's holster...

A couple of dollar store mousepads.

I did.

*Reinforced.
*Sticky/grippy.
*And I made the inner one, larger and shaped so that the entire gun has that material between my skin and the gun. So, protects the gun from... Me.

That inner one is going to have to be replaced in a couple years. It has already lasted at least 5.

I left the clip on mine, Cut and sewed the mousepad around it. Just extra slippage protection, in my book.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:50 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Over a year into service and the only thing that has degraded has been the label.

Attachment:
IMG_20190508_083720.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20190508_083714.jpg

This is daily wear around a treefarm, workshop, fishing, hunting, construction, etc. It's still clingy and works perfectly.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 08, 2019 7:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice review. I like this style of holster a lot.

Divided we fall.

Wed May 08, 2019 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]