Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Aqua Quip Gas Fireplace Repair 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
oldkim wrote:
On the flip side... it's recommended to have it routinely cleaned and checked by a certified person like Steve.

:ROFLMAO:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:49 pm

i ran into a similar problem ~10 years ago -- thankfully the dude from Sundance was able to fix it the first time by replacing the thermopile. Worked fine for a couple of years... ran into a problem with the gas turning off intermittently... baffled me for a while.... One day when it cut out, I was wiggling the light switch on the wall that controls the flame and it magically came back on! Pulled the plate and inspected the switch --- yep, cheap light switch housing was cracked and would wiggle... simple $1 fix once it was finally diagnosed. I'm sure any tech would have been replacing parts left and right just racking up $$$....

I've been meaning to put a thermostat in line with the switch to keep from roasting out the tv room.... still haven't gotten around to that either.

I've had to replace the fan twice now -- original lost the bearings and started squealing, second one lasted ~7 years before it started rattling really bad --- last one has been running great so far..... If anyone is looking for a replacement fan, this is where I got my last one... best price I cold find at the time...
http://www.fireplaceblowersonline.com/

Pro tip --- most of the fans use the adhesive backed velcro tape to hold the fans in place.... that works... for a while until the adhesive gives out and it rattles like hell - sometimes it rattles like hell anyways.... I decided to get creative -- had some killer magnets lying around and realized they were more than strong enough to hold the blower in place - 3 across the bottom and 3 across the back. Thing doesn't budge at all and no rattling whatsoever. I even got more creative and cut a couple of pieces of sheet metal flashing to shroud the fan for improved air flow (held in place with magnets again) --- now the fire/fan work the way it is supposed to instead of the half assed way it did.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
MadPick wrote:
See, this is why we don't have a DIY section filled with useful Engineering equations about turbulent fluid streams and PV=nRT :angryfire:

Fixed that for you.

Dude, you'd be surprised how many questions are answered by PV=nRT. Anything that seems peculiar, does PV=nRT answer that? Usually, yes it does.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PW45 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
MadPick wrote:
See, this is why we don't have a DIY section filled with useful Engineering equations about turbulent fluid streams and PV=nRT :angryfire:

Fixed that for you.

Dude, you'd be surprised how many questions are answered by PV=nRT. Anything that seems peculiar, does PV=nRT answer that? Usually, yes it does.

THAT is exactly why I wrote that.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you've got to call for fireplace repair, Wallace's is my pick. I had that dude out 2 or 3 times trying to figure out why our stove was having issues, didn't get charged for anything (it was under warranty). Even if it weren't, I'd trust they'd figure it out and make any follow on calls right if they dorked it up.

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
On the flip side... it's recommended to have it routinely cleaned and checked by a certified person.

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2