Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Goldendale, WA 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have always felt I was wasting time whenever I'd go out shooting because all I was doing was reinforcing whatever (mostly bad/inefficient) habits I've learned.

I can only learn so much from reading and watching videos or from other experienced shooters. But to learn from a professional instructor for a ridiculous price of $250 for a 2-day course that wasn't some watered down civilian crap? Hell yeah.

Last week, a friend and I ventured down to Goldendale, WA in the cold, snowy conditions. From the start, Steve (main instructor) was very customer centric. We had a pre-class orientation to meet and greet and share backgrounds and why we were there and what we wanted. Before class even started, Steve ensured we were going to be able to make it to class due to fresh snow - he swooped up my friend and I on his way to the current range (Mark's property, second instructor) from our motel. Later that night, we would be attending a dinner fundraiser at the local legion. Friendly and welcoming would be a lazy way to describe it.

For the class, Steve focused on what we wanted out of it. I am a big supporter of learning the fundamentals to build that strong root and the first day was a lot of what I recall as dry weapons work. Re-learning the what low ready is, "customer service", malfunction handling, and economy of motion. The key was to get comfortable with what was in your hands; and focus on whats out there in front of you. "Painfully slow" was the theme of the day. Technique, and muscle memory building was the goal, corrections were made constantly to waste no effort nor expose anything unnecessary.

What I appreciated was the anecdotes provided (lots of marijuana plantation missions) throughout the weekend by Steve and Mark on why we did something or how it helped. Another helpful thing was that I got a chance to learn my equipment and what was working and what needed to change. Goodbye angled grips*.

There was supposed to be (3) of us attending the class, but (1) did not make it because of conditions. With that in mind, the (2) of us quickly went thru a hybrid course of fundamentals and running the gun. By the end of the 2nd day, we went through at least 800rds each. Lots of drills, actions that can be seen demonstrated by viking tactical vids on the net - great to fall back on for continued practice.

The course was outside on a 20-25yard range. We brought a folding 6ft table - highly recommended. We did the course in the snow, sun, and rain. Standing still and listening got miserable at times - but when we went back to practice all was forgotten. Hunger wasn't even a thought as there was so much information being presented.

Something that Steve wanted for Cerberus Training Group was to have a local, affordable instruction that didn't start and end with the class. As I mentioned he is very customer centric and he made it clear that if we ever need help or a reminder that he is a call or text away. He has already proven that he cares about the student.

By the end of the second day which was much quicker pace, things were definitely becoming muscle memory, and confidence in running my gun efficiently was at a level it wasn't at before. We did get a taste of shooting around an obstacle at the end of the course and it was during that exercise I finally called it quits - mind and body had enough.

I find myself excited to go out and shoot with a purpose, and when I am comfortable I'll be back to Run the Gun with a pistol. Once I am ready and comfortable with that, I'll be back to tie it together in the 3-day S.A.T. course.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great review!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed, great review :thumbsup2:

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:20 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Awesome!

so, tell us about this angled grip business?

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The angled grip business is definitely not a generalization for all; merely for my body mechanics which is a root of the class and pretty much any sport or physical activity.

I found real quick that I'm much more comfortable with a more bent elbow, closer to body, part rail/vertical grip hold. The angled grip hold with thumb on side or top (didn't matter), put unnecessary strain and fatigue on the wrist and forearm.

As someone that's taken boxing for 3+ years and coached others, I'm big on technique, form, body mechanics to reduce effort. I got a taste of my own medicine, being the student here.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:53 am

Having gone thru Steves class everything you said is spot on to my 1st experience there last summer. I have said it over and over that you will not get better real world training in the state for the money. These guys are top notch at what they do, saying that I will be going back this summer to continue my training. Good review..

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for a great review UpDog and awesome to hear you had a great training experience. I also have a similar sports training background as a former ski instructor so definitely a big believer in solid fundamentals as the key to higher performance. It's a great feeling to replace old, limiting mechanics with new and more efficient movement patterns.

Hoping to train with Steve next time we're up in the Great Northwest, hopefully not too long.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]