Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Buck knives new 110 

This is going to be my first review on this forum.
I want to start off by saying that I am a huge fan of buck knives. The buck 110 classic is one of my all time favorite knives and I own several and my most recent one was the wall mart Christmas gift tin special I got a few Black Fridays ago for a mere 25 bucks. Good luck finding a 110 for that now. And their classic sheath knives are solid and practical. That said buck has took a path in recent years that left me shaking my head. Their reaper line made good knives, but the sheaths provided them were a travesty. Plus when they started to put their name on some Chinese junk I felt that like other good American companies they too were invaded by a case of stupiditus, an affliction seldom cured and usually ends with a total sellout. I was relieved that they shook this off and started to get on the right path again with their newest iteration the buck 110 slim pro. They took the classic design and updated it for modern rednecks like myself. Let’s be honest here, while I’ll always have a soft spot for the old 110 I rarely carry one, why? Well it is in all honest terms , a brick. The thing weighs a ton compared to a modern edc. And to safely carry it you need to have it in its sheath, which is cool if your out in the woods chasing down a buck (pun intended) but kinda looks weird if you’re in the Tully’s line waiting for your latte.
This new buck which you can get on amazon of all places by the way comes in many different flavors and prices depending on what you want. You got the cheap plastic option with the classic 420 stainless steel blade for about 28 bucks. I opted for the one in S30V and micarta handle for 90 with prime shipping,I had to, it was calling my name. I like S30V, it’s a tough steel that I have experience with due to the fact I own a buttload of Kershaw assisted openers. I use them as work knives and when I was in shipping they had to cut cardboard and tape all day and I rarely had to touch up the blade. No I wasn’t getting into knife fights with polar bears with them but nothing ruins edges faster than cardboard anyway, S30V holds up. The other thing the new buck has got for it is the deep carry pocket clip and the thumb studs for one hand opening. I could always open a 110 one handed anyway, that was never the problem, the problem was always the weight and no way to carry it in your pocket. With this update it makes the knife lighter than my kershaw blur.
And while it doesn’t have assisted opening, I won’t knock buck for keeping with tradition on that, besides the blade opens fast enough for what I intend to use it for. Let’s be honest, every day carry means that, you carry it every day and use it to cut things. A lot of weekend warriors out there expect their knives to be pry bars and assassin tools. I can tell you right now that most folders, even the “tactical” ones will fail them. If called upon I could use this knife to dismantle a deer, or a would be mugger, but I know the micarta handle probably wouldn’t last if I got all stabby stabby with it and there’s no guard in place to stop my hand from sliding up the blade. But I am not going to use it for that. This is a tool, and it’s perfect for riding in my pocket and cutting things and it’s so light I forget about it while it’s in my pocket unlike it’s grandpappy. This thing will be perfect for those that like a classic but live in modern times, it rides well in a pocket, if your one of those extreme survivalist backpackers looking to save weight this thing weighs less than most other knives and the steel will outlast you and 7 of your generations progeny. It comes in many flavors and Smokey Mountain Knife works even has an exclusive one with a D2 tool steel blade for 99 plus shipping if you want a really tough blade. As a hobbyist knife maker I am glad someone at buck had the good sense to put this one out there, a lot of companies out there either stay rooted in the past and never innovate, or they chuck all of last years goods and totally redesign everything. It is a rare quality of a company that will step forward while successfully keep a foot rooted in the past.

Author’s note: I am not employed by Buck or Amazon, nor have I received any kickbacks or endorsements from them. However if Buck is reading this and would like to send me knives I wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've carried the same Buck 110 for close to 40 years, maybe even longer. I think I might have gotten it for one of my teenage birthdays, all of which were more than 40 years ago. Carried it on board ship in the USN (with special dispensation from the Master at Arms) as an electrician, for years as a land surveyor, now it just sits in my tool belt I wore when surveying, and I rarely think about it. I should probably put it somewhere more useful. I also have a Buck 119 that I carry in the woods that I've only had for a few years. We also have a couple of little Bucks that are skeletonized that I've wrapped with paracord that we use when we're out mushrooming. Handy little things and they were cheap, like $15 each I think?

Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Bought my first Buck 110 Folding hunter in 1975.
Carried mine in the Navy. Just about everyone had one.
BM3 used to put them on a grinder in and make finger grooves, but I never had him do mine.
Great knives.
Will truly last a lifetime.
Carried a Buck 110, a Gerber MK II serated, Gerber MK I, and Gerber 'bolt action' folder in the Navy.
Is Gerber still in business? Don't hear about them anymore.

Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good review, very cool.

I'll be honest, when I look at that original 110 it makes me think of a Buck knife (maybe the same thing?) that I had as a kid, and maybe still have in a drawer somewhere . . . and I think "BORING." It doesn't interest me at all.

However, the newer one, combined with your review, certainly makes me sit up and take notice!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still use a classic 110 Buck knife - pretty bullet proof, but heavy. Guess I'm old school...sold or gave away my Benchmades and Spyderco.

Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well written review! :bow:

Doesn't everybody have at least 1 Buck 110? And if you ever hunted, at least one Buck fixed blade sheath model? I figured it was standard issue once you hit your teens, plus or minus.

I've had a lot of Buck products over the years. (Most are at least 40 years old) Except for messing up a few wooden grip scales, which was abuse on my part, I've always had excellent performance from them.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carried mine everyday in Junior High and High School (try that these days) and for many years after that.

Used to be able to flick it open one handed but after a few decades of doing that the ability to lock opened suffered so I stopped carrying it.

I have a "Request for Repair" service form in my desk but I've just never gotten around to sending it in. I'll have to do something about that.... I suspect that they'll want to just replace the blade since I don't know how they can grind a new edge on the locking notch without changing the geometry and still make it work... but that'll be up to them.

So about the new 110's... do they have a slim one with woods stocks?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
I carried mine everyday in Junior High and High School (try that these days) and for many years after that.

Used to be able to flick it open one handed but after a few decades of doing that the ability to lock opened suffered so I stopped carrying it.

I have a "Request for Repair" service form in my desk but I've just never gotten around to sending it in. I'll have to do something about that.... I suspect that they'll want to just replace the blade since I don't know how they can grind a new edge on the locking notch without changing the geometry and still make it work... but that'll be up to them.

So about the new 110's... do they have a slim one with woods stocks?

I carried a knife every day through high school. Never hid it. Several months a year had different guns in the truck. Nowadays is crazy, I'll give you that. However it wasn't this stupid until just recently, or in big cities.
Thanks for the review, its a good one. I carry a bucl knife at work, a 3 blade unit. Xmas special like you mentioned. Great for work, would not trust my life with it chinese shit steel blades, no locking blades, slow deployment. I'll stick with modern folders for EDC/SD uses.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry a 110 auto every day, the blade definately shows some wear since i use it for stripping wires, scraping gaskets, a screw driver, and whatever else i need at the time, but whatever, it gets sharpened regularly.

My only 2 gripes with the auto, is occasionally i manage to pop it open in my pocket(like any auto) and the other is it gets filled with dirt and needs extra maintenance to flick open with the button.

Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:40 pm

The new ones don’t have the wood stocks, but there is a deluxe model with G10 scales I looked at hard. They still sell the classic 110, the new one I have is barely.5 inches wide which rides better in my jeans. It’s so light you forget it’s there. I’ve clipped on to my jogging shorts and it don’t weigh them down any.

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:59 am

Wanted to give you an update since I have been carrying it for a while now as my edc. Since then its been worn in and I have used it for cutting open packages and bags of soil for the garden. No chips in the micarta handle yet and I have used it enough so its not as stiff on opening. The lock is still tight which is what I expect from buck. I have my dads 110 from the early 90s he won from boeing as a safety award and that thing is still tight. No I haven't popped ammo cans open in a firefight with it yet but unless things get really bad in my Cul-de-Sac I don't see that happening although if the deer get into my vegetable garden again I might have to try it out field dressing soon. Even after the honeymoon, I still like it. You have to understand, that I have a lot of options for knives. I was one of those guys who hit the Kershaw factory seconds guy at the gun shows when we still had them. I have a lot of knives in my drawer to pick to throw in my pocket. I got benchmades, Kershaws, bucks, and italian stilletos if I want to go all Don Corleone. This little buck is still my darling. If I have one gripe about it I think buck should just go assisted opening with this one. Yeah they make the 110 auto, but that will land you in the klink in many jurisdictions for just carrying it, plus no pocket clip. I think that would be the only thing missing for it, still one hand opening is good enough for most things I need the knife for. A pocket knife is nothing but a tool to me, something to open a box or bag or a deer with. This thing is still worth the money in my opinion.

Sun May 17, 2020 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad it's working out, and thanks for the update.

I was reminded of your post when I was looking for my old 110 the other day, and my wife opens the dish washer and points to it. Now the wood has about 10 years of weathering from going through a 2.5 hour sanitize cycle in the dishwasher. No harm done to the metal parts, and the wood just has some raised grain now.

Sun May 17, 2020 10:46 am

I am resurrecting this thread since I have been using the knife for my everyday carry for a while now. I have not had to resharpen it yet and the edge still shaves. I have used it to open a lot of boxes and cut cords and many other things with no issue. It is interesting to note that the micarta has developed a patina to it, it's gotten darker and the surface as polished a bit. I noticed that you can't find this knife anywhere and buck has introduced a product improved version that seemed to added a little more weight to it and changed the pocket clip. I am still impressed with it and still carry it despite me now living in a state that allows automatic knives.

Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's good to see an old school American company updating their products to take advantage of modern tech. Too many of these companies have remained stagnant while a lot of foreign knife makers are offering better knives at lower prices. (Not to mention companies like Gerber who pretty much only sell cheap chinese junk now.)

However, as much as I liked my old Buck 110 back when it was one of the best options, I think they still have some catching up to do. 3 critical items that my folding knives all have now are:
- good steel
- good pocket clip
- one handed use

It looks like Buck hit the first two, but one handed use means opening and closing, not just one handed opening. If I can't safely unlock and close the blade with one hand, I choose something else. Unfortunately that's where this new Buck 110 is for me still, with that same old lock system. Maybe 20 years ago it would have been worth a look, and it doesn't bother me if some people like it, but it holds no interest for me any more.

Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]