Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 South Sound Guns great experience 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I decided to build a 308 AR since I didn’t have a mid range larger caliber rifle in the safe. I built the lower, but lacked a headspace gauge for the upper and didn’t want to buy one for a single build, so I decided to have SSG build an upper per my specs (adjustable gas block, AAC flash hider for my sdn6, 18” barrel with 15” handguard).I had been in the store several times for parts I needed for other builds and even picked up a used 92f Beretta for a good price. The people were nice and knowledgeable. I hadn’t owned or built a 308 AR so I wasn’t sure if any AR15 parts were interchangeable. They answered my questions without making me feel stupid and quoted me a good price for my build, so I paid a deposit and waited for them to call me when it was done. They called on the day they told me it would be done and it looked good when I picked it up. Everything was exactly as I requested, done on time with no problems. I took the upper home and put everything together for break in and accuracy testing. Mike at SSG had recommended a barrel that he said shoots great and was reasonably priced, he wasn’t wrong. My first groups during break in were all right on target. I didn’t do my usual break in since it shot great after the first 10 separate break in shots. I then proceeded to shoot some groups with my own reloads to see which weight bullet and powder charge worked best. Wes at Sages reloading supply had sent me some 20 packs of misc bulk 308 bullets he had in stock for me to try and see which shot best in my new rifle. All groups at 100 yards where 1” - 3”. The 1” groups ended up being Hornady 168 hp/bt match with 43gr of Varget 2.800aol. I will be ordering more from Wes soon.

I had a great experience at SSG and won’t hesitate to go back.

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]