Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:57 pm


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 F-250 7.3 L diesel SES light SOLVED! 
Author Message
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015
Posts: 4482
Yea, Jeff and I both have IDI engines

Mine is in a '94 E350, which was the crossover year. Most of the time I just tell the parts guy it's a '93

_________________
You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for


Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:35 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Duvall
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 3847
Real Name: David
So, I went out and exchanged the sensor on my truck, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work when it's snugged down in place where it's supposed to be. If I get the bolts tightened down, the accelerator no longer works, when it's loose on top of the blade that pushes the sensor around, I can get a normal throttle response. Color me confused (and tired, and pissed off).

Any ideas?

This is the one I ordered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF ... UTF8&psc=1 and this is what the blade receptacle looks like:
Image

This is what the old one looks like:

Image

Notice the difference in where the blade fits, the old one just has a slot, the new one has protrusions like an impeller or something, so there'll be a bit of rotation before it engages (I think).

Any thoughts? I'm done for the day, tired of getting rained on and swearing.

_________________
David
Unique Treen
Image


Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Monte
Joined: Thu Sep 6, 2012
Posts: 6243
Real Name: Dan
delliottg wrote:
So, I went out and exchanged the sensor on my truck, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work when it's snugged down in place where it's supposed to be. If I get the bolts tightened down, the accelerator no longer works, when it's loose on top of the blade that pushes the sensor around, I can get a normal throttle response. Color me confused (and tired, and pissed off).

Any ideas?

This is the one I ordered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF ... UTF8&psc=1 and this is what the blade receptacle looks like:
Image

This is what the old one looks like:

Image

Notice the difference in where the blade fits, the old one just has a slot, the new one has protrusions like an impeller or something, so there'll be a bit of rotation before it engages (I think).

Any thoughts? I'm done for the day, tired of getting rained on and swearing.





Ahhhh Amazon....yep yep great place to buy auto parts. Not so much.... That's the wrong sensor.

Your OEM PN is F6TZ-9F836-AA and is only sold by FoMoCo as an assembly. They refer to it as the APPS. Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. There are aftermarket options for just the potentiometer part and using an 'RK' suffix after the 'AA' suffix will at times yield that on a search engine. But fear not, this one is the correct one:


https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-699-200-A ... automotive


Humorously, Amazon says it isn't. But it is. Promise.

It's Dorman PN 699-200 for the google foo types....and we can get into how Amazon also has it listed as a 'relay' later.....

*edit* as an aside the description of your symptoms sounds just like the potentiometer portion of the APPS failing.


Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:50 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Duvall
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 3847
Real Name: David
Thanks, ordered.

_________________
David
Unique Treen
Image


Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: West Olympia
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012
Posts: 6133
Real Name: Matt
There are a few things in the car world that should be OEM or top quality aftermarket. My rule of thumb is anything that will leave me stranded. Electric sensors usually fall into that category. Besides, OEM stuff is cheap for our power strokes. I have a 2000 Excursion. One thing to be very aware of with your 99 is there are early and late 99 trucks. I think anything made after December 4th 1998 is a late 99. Some google will confirm. Lots of parts are different. No idea why Ford did this. Here is a good article on them. https://shopspeedhouse.com/blog/early-1 ... el-trucks/

_________________
"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"



"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947


Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:02 pm
Profile
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
User avatar
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Location: snohomish
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015
Posts: 134
I'm a little late to this discussion but we had that exact problem on one of our 7.3's awhile ago. It was a low mile (120k?) 2002 dually cclb we mainly used for long hauls with a 53ft trailer and then it would sit for days or weeks at a time. We kept running it with that weird glitch until we ran into a total failure where it wouldn't do anything, then only wide open and that's when we found out what exactly went wrong. The 7.3l superduty's have a gas pedal assembly that has relays and sensors in them that can go bad and cause problems, outside of the plug sensors on the outside. They are $350-500 for the assembly for an OEM one from a dealership but they are easy to install (we literally did it parked in the middle of the road outside the ford dealership in utah when it really started to die). I've also started to notice the older powerstrokes are starting to suffer from electrical issues, control module issues and injector issues, so it may be worth while having a diesel shop plug in and see if there's anything wrong our weird with any of the electronics before you buy a $500 pedal assembly.

_________________
Life isn't about the money you make, the car you drive, the house you live in or being the CEO of a company. Life is about enjoying each day, experiencing everything the world has to offer you and when the day comes, standing at your makers door fully satisfied with what you did with the little bit of sand that was put in your hourglass.

I'm a firearms manufacturer with a 07 FFL.


Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:06 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Index
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012
Posts: 9732
Real Name: Jeff
Rustywrench wrote:
Your 7.3 Diesel is a powerstroke. It is computer controlled. Some of the information shared by others here does not apply to 1999 7.3 DI.
A 7.3 Direct Injection Diesel, Is what you have.
7.3 IDI, indirect injection is old style, with sensor mounted on injection pump, on engine, called FIPL. So, the sensor inside the cab on throttle pedal is the only one your truck has. Hope this helps.

Where's that like button???!?

dan360 wrote:
delliottg wrote:
So, I went out and exchanged the sensor on my truck, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work when it's snugged down in place where it's supposed to be. If I get the bolts tightened down, the accelerator no longer works, when it's loose on top of the blade that pushes the sensor around, I can get a normal throttle response. Color me confused (and tired, and pissed off).

Any ideas?

This is the one I ordered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF ... UTF8&psc=1 and this is what the blade receptacle looks like:
Image

This is what the old one looks like:

Image

Notice the difference in where the blade fits, the old one just has a slot, the new one has protrusions like an impeller or something, so there'll be a bit of rotation before it engages (I think).

Any thoughts? I'm done for the day, tired of getting rained on and swearing.





Ahhhh Amazon....yep yep great place to buy auto parts. Not so much.... That's the wrong sensor.

Your OEM PN is F6TZ-9F836-AA and is only sold by FoMoCo as an assembly. They refer to it as the APPS. Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. There are aftermarket options for just the potentiometer part and using an 'RK' suffix after the 'AA' suffix will at times yield that on a search engine. But fear not, this one is the correct one:


https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-699-200-A ... automotive


Humorously, Amazon says it isn't. But it is. Promise.

It's Dorman PN 699-200 for the google foo types....and we can get into how Amazon also has it listed as a 'relay' later.....

*edit* as an aside the description of your symptoms sounds just like the potentiometer portion of the APPS failing.

Yup, I've seen that several times. The exact same part. Exact some part number. Exact same manufacturer. Pics show it to be exactly the same part. Same color, same quantity, same size, same everything...

On one page it will say, "this part fits your vehicle". Yet on another page it will say "WARNING!, This part does not fit your vehicle."

_________________
-Jeff

Image

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

The problem with being on social media, is that you know too many people that you don't know.

Joy is not a feeling. It is a strength. Some people are stupid, that's all there is to it. (And sometimes that stupid person is me/you.) Sometimes you just have to let stupid people be stupid. Don't let stupid steal your joy.

Holding onto unforgiveness and resentment is like drinking poison and expecting that other person to die. Anger will eat you up.


Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:16 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Monte
Joined: Thu Sep 6, 2012
Posts: 6243
Real Name: Dan
Selador wrote:
Rustywrench wrote:
Your 7.3 Diesel is a powerstroke. It is computer controlled. Some of the information shared by others here does not apply to 1999 7.3 DI.
A 7.3 Direct Injection Diesel, Is what you have.
7.3 IDI, indirect injection is old style, with sensor mounted on injection pump, on engine, called FIPL. So, the sensor inside the cab on throttle pedal is the only one your truck has. Hope this helps.

Where's that like button???!?

dan360 wrote:
delliottg wrote:
So, I went out and exchanged the sensor on my truck, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work when it's snugged down in place where it's supposed to be. If I get the bolts tightened down, the accelerator no longer works, when it's loose on top of the blade that pushes the sensor around, I can get a normal throttle response. Color me confused (and tired, and pissed off).

Any ideas?

This is the one I ordered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF ... UTF8&psc=1 and this is what the blade receptacle looks like:
Image

This is what the old one looks like:

Image

Notice the difference in where the blade fits, the old one just has a slot, the new one has protrusions like an impeller or something, so there'll be a bit of rotation before it engages (I think).

Any thoughts? I'm done for the day, tired of getting rained on and swearing.





Ahhhh Amazon....yep yep great place to buy auto parts. Not so much.... That's the wrong sensor.

Your OEM PN is F6TZ-9F836-AA and is only sold by FoMoCo as an assembly. They refer to it as the APPS. Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. There are aftermarket options for just the potentiometer part and using an 'RK' suffix after the 'AA' suffix will at times yield that on a search engine. But fear not, this one is the correct one:


https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-699-200-A ... automotive


Humorously, Amazon says it isn't. But it is. Promise.

It's Dorman PN 699-200 for the google foo types....and we can get into how Amazon also has it listed as a 'relay' later.....

*edit* as an aside the description of your symptoms sounds just like the potentiometer portion of the APPS failing.

Yup, I've seen that several times. The exact same part. Exact some part number. Exact same manufacturer. Pics show it to be exactly the same part. Same color, same quantity, same size, same everything...

On one page it will say, "this part fits your vehicle". Yet on another page it will say "WARNING!, This part does not fit your vehicle."


Technically it won’t fit a ‘99 Super Duty with a gas engine. Only the diesel. So they’re right. Sort of. LOL

I’m always leery of ‘inexpensive’ aftermarket angry pixie parts sold piecemeal vs OEM but this Dorman sensor, although reports of early failure abound, have been vetted by many in the 7.3 stroker community as a reasonable solution when the OEM APPS is unavailable or financially burdensome. Way better than say an Autolite glow plug. ;)

Amazon seems to be relying on sellers and shadetree experts for their content descriptions and category accuracy. It’s like they have no clue at times how things are listed until after the fact. Too big to patrol and no volunteer sniffers like Wikipedia maybe.


Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:05 am
Profile
User avatar

Location: Nisqually Valley
Joined: Wed Oct 5, 2016
Posts: 1838
Please refer to my comments in the "online auto parts thread".

The internet cannot replace hands on inspection and customer service.

Keep using amazon and rockauto and you will no longer have a local store. (think sears)


Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:05 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Duvall
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011
Posts: 3847
Real Name: David
dan360 wrote:
Selador wrote:
Rustywrench wrote:
Your 7.3 Diesel is a powerstroke. It is computer controlled. Some of the information shared by others here does not apply to 1999 7.3 DI.
A 7.3 Direct Injection Diesel, Is what you have.
7.3 IDI, indirect injection is old style, with sensor mounted on injection pump, on engine, called FIPL. So, the sensor inside the cab on throttle pedal is the only one your truck has. Hope this helps.

Where's that like button???!?

dan360 wrote:
delliottg wrote:
So, I went out and exchanged the sensor on my truck, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work when it's snugged down in place where it's supposed to be. If I get the bolts tightened down, the accelerator no longer works, when it's loose on top of the blade that pushes the sensor around, I can get a normal throttle response. Color me confused (and tired, and pissed off).

Any ideas?

This is the one I ordered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF ... UTF8&psc=1 and this is what the blade receptacle looks like:
Image

This is what the old one looks like:

Image

Notice the difference in where the blade fits, the old one just has a slot, the new one has protrusions like an impeller or something, so there'll be a bit of rotation before it engages (I think).

Any thoughts? I'm done for the day, tired of getting rained on and swearing.





Ahhhh Amazon....yep yep great place to buy auto parts. Not so much.... That's the wrong sensor.

Your OEM PN is F6TZ-9F836-AA and is only sold by FoMoCo as an assembly. They refer to it as the APPS. Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. There are aftermarket options for just the potentiometer part and using an 'RK' suffix after the 'AA' suffix will at times yield that on a search engine. But fear not, this one is the correct one:


https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-699-200-A ... automotive


Humorously, Amazon says it isn't. But it is. Promise.

It's Dorman PN 699-200 for the google foo types....and we can get into how Amazon also has it listed as a 'relay' later.....

*edit* as an aside the description of your symptoms sounds just like the potentiometer portion of the APPS failing.

Yup, I've seen that several times. The exact same part. Exact some part number. Exact same manufacturer. Pics show it to be exactly the same part. Same color, same quantity, same size, same everything...

On one page it will say, "this part fits your vehicle". Yet on another page it will say "WARNING!, This part does not fit your vehicle."


Technically it won’t fit a ‘99 Super Duty with a gas engine. Only the diesel. So they’re right. Sort of. LOL

I’m always leery of ‘inexpensive’ aftermarket angry pixie parts sold piecemeal vs OEM but this Dorman sensor, although reports of early failure abound, have been vetted by many in the 7.3 stroker community as a reasonable solution when the OEM APPS is unavailable or financially burdensome. Way better than say an Autolite glow plug. ;)

Amazon seems to be relying on sellers and shadetree experts for their content descriptions and category accuracy. It’s like they have no clue at times how things are listed until after the fact. Too big to patrol and no volunteer sniffers like Wikipedia maybe.


You my friend are the man. The new part arrived today, took me a couple of minutes to install it (and a whole lot less swearing than before), and voilà, I've got a functional accelerator again.

_________________
David
Unique Treen
Image


Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Index
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012
Posts: 9732
Real Name: Jeff
delliottg wrote:
dan360 wrote:
Selador wrote:
Rustywrench wrote:
Your 7.3 Diesel is a powerstroke. It is computer controlled. Some of the information shared by others here does not apply to 1999 7.3 DI.
A 7.3 Direct Injection Diesel, Is what you have.
7.3 IDI, indirect injection is old style, with sensor mounted on injection pump, on engine, called FIPL. So, the sensor inside the cab on throttle pedal is the only one your truck has. Hope this helps.

Where's that like button???!?

dan360 wrote:
delliottg wrote:
So, I went out and exchanged the sensor on my truck, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work when it's snugged down in place where it's supposed to be. If I get the bolts tightened down, the accelerator no longer works, when it's loose on top of the blade that pushes the sensor around, I can get a normal throttle response. Color me confused (and tired, and pissed off).

Any ideas?

This is the one I ordered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF ... UTF8&psc=1 and this is what the blade receptacle looks like:
Image

This is what the old one looks like:

Image

Notice the difference in where the blade fits, the old one just has a slot, the new one has protrusions like an impeller or something, so there'll be a bit of rotation before it engages (I think).

Any thoughts? I'm done for the day, tired of getting rained on and swearing.





Ahhhh Amazon....yep yep great place to buy auto parts. Not so much.... That's the wrong sensor.

Your OEM PN is F6TZ-9F836-AA and is only sold by FoMoCo as an assembly. They refer to it as the APPS. Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. There are aftermarket options for just the potentiometer part and using an 'RK' suffix after the 'AA' suffix will at times yield that on a search engine. But fear not, this one is the correct one:


https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-699-200-A ... automotive


Humorously, Amazon says it isn't. But it is. Promise.

It's Dorman PN 699-200 for the google foo types....and we can get into how Amazon also has it listed as a 'relay' later.....

*edit* as an aside the description of your symptoms sounds just like the potentiometer portion of the APPS failing.

Yup, I've seen that several times. The exact same part. Exact some part number. Exact same manufacturer. Pics show it to be exactly the same part. Same color, same quantity, same size, same everything...

On one page it will say, "this part fits your vehicle". Yet on another page it will say "WARNING!, This part does not fit your vehicle."


Technically it won’t fit a ‘99 Super Duty with a gas engine. Only the diesel. So they’re right. Sort of. LOL

I’m always leery of ‘inexpensive’ aftermarket angry pixie parts sold piecemeal vs OEM but this Dorman sensor, although reports of early failure abound, have been vetted by many in the 7.3 stroker community as a reasonable solution when the OEM APPS is unavailable or financially burdensome. Way better than say an Autolite glow plug. ;)

Amazon seems to be relying on sellers and shadetree experts for their content descriptions and category accuracy. It’s like they have no clue at times how things are listed until after the fact. Too big to patrol and no volunteer sniffers like Wikipedia maybe.


You my friend are the man. The new part arrived today, took me a couple of minutes to install it (and a whole lot less swearing than before), and voilà, I've got a functional accelerator again.


:party:

Now if I could just find the good FIPL for MY truck.

On mine, the black OEM ones are very unreliable. Nor do they last very long. As expensive as they are, you want them to last longer than they do.

The gray OEM ones are the newer version, with the problems worked out.

The ONLY ones I can find are the black OEM ones.

_________________
-Jeff

Image

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

The problem with being on social media, is that you know too many people that you don't know.

Joy is not a feeling. It is a strength. Some people are stupid, that's all there is to it. (And sometimes that stupid person is me/you.) Sometimes you just have to let stupid people be stupid. Don't let stupid steal your joy.

Holding onto unforgiveness and resentment is like drinking poison and expecting that other person to die. Anger will eat you up.


Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:01 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Monte
Joined: Thu Sep 6, 2012
Posts: 6243
Real Name: Dan
Glad that sensor worked out for you!

Selador, the sensor you need is OEM PN F2TZ-9B989-C. The color doesn’t mean much anymore as FoMoCo suppliers have changed the plastics but the internals of the C suffix revision are the updated design referenced the the 186A TSB in 1994.

I’m thinking we replaced it once under warranty but can’t remember if it was the “updated gray” one at the time or not and God knows what the next guy did to it. Either way they’re normally only good for about 50,000 miles anyways. Hope this helps.

_________________
Hatred corrodes the container it is carried in.
public apology to rocko77 for ghosting on our meetup---thanks Harvey & Maria
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
I
<


Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:21 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Index
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012
Posts: 9732
Real Name: Jeff
dan360 wrote:
Glad that sensor worked out for you!

Selador, the sensor you need is OEM PN F2TZ-9B989-C. The color doesn’t mean much anymore as FoMoCo suppliers have changed the plastics but the internals of the C suffix revision are the updated design referenced the the 186A TSB in 1994.

I’m thinking we replaced it once under warranty but can’t remember if it was the “updated gray” one at the time or not and God knows what the next guy did to it. Either way they’re normally only good for about 50,000 miles anyways. Hope this helps.

That does help! Thank you. (Added to my amazon wish list so I'll remember it. :bigsmile: )

The gray one is still on there. Just not working quite right. And apparently it can have drastic effect on shift points, etc. So wondering if that is the problem, all along.

Need to replace that, and while I am at it, trace the wires all the way back. Apparently it is common to have problems with the wiring.

Now that I am recovering from the sickness I am back to working on it again. Although other things take precedence sometimes. LOL

_________________
-Jeff

Image

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

The problem with being on social media, is that you know too many people that you don't know.

Joy is not a feeling. It is a strength. Some people are stupid, that's all there is to it. (And sometimes that stupid person is me/you.) Sometimes you just have to let stupid people be stupid. Don't let stupid steal your joy.

Holding onto unforgiveness and resentment is like drinking poison and expecting that other person to die. Anger will eat you up.


Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:57 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ericpen123 and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.689s | 16 Queries | GZIP : On ]