Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 F-250 7.3 L diesel SES light AGAIN! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yea, Jeff and I both have IDI engines

Mine is in a '94 E350, which was the crossover year. Most of the time I just tell the parts guy it's a '93

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, I went out and exchanged the sensor on my truck, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work when it's snugged down in place where it's supposed to be. If I get the bolts tightened down, the accelerator no longer works, when it's loose on top of the blade that pushes the sensor around, I can get a normal throttle response. Color me confused (and tired, and pissed off).

Any ideas?

This is the one I ordered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF ... UTF8&psc=1 and this is what the blade receptacle looks like:

This is what the old one looks like:

Notice the difference in where the blade fits, the old one just has a slot, the new one has protrusions like an impeller or something, so there'll be a bit of rotation before it engages (I think).

Any thoughts? I'm done for the day, tired of getting rained on and swearing.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
So, I went out and exchanged the sensor on my truck, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work when it's snugged down in place where it's supposed to be. If I get the bolts tightened down, the accelerator no longer works, when it's loose on top of the blade that pushes the sensor around, I can get a normal throttle response. Color me confused (and tired, and pissed off).

Any ideas?

This is the one I ordered from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF ... UTF8&psc=1 and this is what the blade receptacle looks like:

Notice the difference in where the blade fits, the old one just has a slot, the new one has protrusions like an impeller or something, so there'll be a bit of rotation before it engages (I think).

Ahhhh Amazon....yep yep great place to buy auto parts. Not so much.... That's the wrong sensor.

Your OEM PN is F6TZ-9F836-AA and is only sold by FoMoCo as an assembly. They refer to it as the APPS. Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. There are aftermarket options for just the potentiometer part and using an 'RK' suffix after the 'AA' suffix will at times yield that on a search engine. But fear not, this one is the correct one:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-699-200-A ... automotive

Humorously, Amazon says it isn't. But it is. Promise.

It's Dorman PN 699-200 for the google foo types....and we can get into how Amazon also has it listed as a 'relay' later.....

*edit* as an aside the description of your symptoms sounds just like the potentiometer portion of the APPS failing.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, ordered.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a few things in the car world that should be OEM or top quality aftermarket. My rule of thumb is anything that will leave me stranded. Electric sensors usually fall into that category. Besides, OEM stuff is cheap for our power strokes. I have a 2000 Excursion. One thing to be very aware of with your 99 is there are early and late 99 trucks. I think anything made after December 4th 1998 is a late 99. Some google will confirm. Lots of parts are different. No idea why Ford did this. Here is a good article on them. https://shopspeedhouse.com/blog/early-1 ... el-trucks/

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:02 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I'm a little late to this discussion but we had that exact problem on one of our 7.3's awhile ago. It was a low mile (120k?) 2002 dually cclb we mainly used for long hauls with a 53ft trailer and then it would sit for days or weeks at a time. We kept running it with that weird glitch until we ran into a total failure where it wouldn't do anything, then only wide open and that's when we found out what exactly went wrong. The 7.3l superduty's have a gas pedal assembly that has relays and sensors in them that can go bad and cause problems, outside of the plug sensors on the outside. They are $350-500 for the assembly for an OEM one from a dealership but they are easy to install (we literally did it parked in the middle of the road outside the ford dealership in utah when it really started to die). I've also started to notice the older powerstrokes are starting to suffer from electrical issues, control module issues and injector issues, so it may be worth while having a diesel shop plug in and see if there's anything wrong our weird with any of the electronics before you buy a $500 pedal assembly.

Life isn't about the money you make, the car you drive, the house you live in or being the CEO of a company. Life is about enjoying each day, experiencing everything the world has to offer you and when the day comes, standing at your makers door fully satisfied with what you did with the little bit of sand that was put in your hourglass.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rustywrench wrote:
Your 7.3 Diesel is a powerstroke. It is computer controlled. Some of the information shared by others here does not apply to 1999 7.3 DI.
A 7.3 Direct Injection Diesel, Is what you have.
7.3 IDI, indirect injection is old style, with sensor mounted on injection pump, on engine, called FIPL. So, the sensor inside the cab on throttle pedal is the only one your truck has. Hope this helps.

Where's that like button???!?

dan360 wrote:
delliottg wrote:

Any ideas?

Ahhhh Amazon....yep yep great place to buy auto parts. Not so much.... That's the wrong sensor.

Your OEM PN is F6TZ-9F836-AA and is only sold by FoMoCo as an assembly. They refer to it as the APPS. Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. There are aftermarket options for just the potentiometer part and using an 'RK' suffix after the 'AA' suffix will at times yield that on a search engine. But fear not, this one is the correct one:

It's Dorman PN 699-200 for the google foo types....and we can get into how Amazon also has it listed as a 'relay' later.....

*edit* as an aside the description of your symptoms sounds just like the potentiometer portion of the APPS failing.

Yup, I've seen that several times. The exact same part. Exact some part number. Exact same manufacturer. Pics show it to be exactly the same part. Same color, same quantity, same size, same everything...

On one page it will say, "this part fits your vehicle". Yet on another page it will say "WARNING!, This part does not fit your vehicle."

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
Rustywrench wrote:
Your 7.3 Diesel is a powerstroke. It is computer controlled. Some of the information shared by others here does not apply to 1999 7.3 DI.
7.3 IDI, indirect injection is old style, with sensor mounted on injection pump, on engine, called FIPL. So, the sensor inside the cab on throttle pedal is the only one your truck has. Hope this helps.

dan360 wrote:
delliottg wrote:

Any ideas?

Yup, I've seen that several times. The exact same part. Exact some part number. Exact same manufacturer. Pics show it to be exactly the same part. Same color, same quantity, same size, same everything...

On one page it will say, "this part fits your vehicle". Yet on another page it will say "WARNING!, This part does not fit your vehicle."

Technically it won’t fit a ‘99 Super Duty with a gas engine. Only the diesel. So they’re right. Sort of. LOL

I’m always leery of ‘inexpensive’ aftermarket angry pixie parts sold piecemeal vs OEM but this Dorman sensor, although reports of early failure abound, have been vetted by many in the 7.3 stroker community as a reasonable solution when the OEM APPS is unavailable or financially burdensome. Way better than say an Autolite glow plug. ;)

Amazon seems to be relying on sellers and shadetree experts for their content descriptions and category accuracy. It’s like they have no clue at times how things are listed until after the fact. Too big to patrol and no volunteer sniffers like Wikipedia maybe.

Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please refer to my comments in the "online auto parts thread".

The internet cannot replace hands on inspection and customer service.

Keep using amazon and rockauto and you will no longer have a local store. (think sears)

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
Selador wrote:
Rustywrench wrote:

dan360 wrote:
delliottg wrote:

Any ideas?

Technically it won’t fit a ‘99 Super Duty with a gas engine. Only the diesel. So they’re right. Sort of. LOL

I’m always leery of ‘inexpensive’ aftermarket angry pixie parts sold piecemeal vs OEM but this Dorman sensor, although reports of early failure abound, have been vetted by many in the 7.3 stroker community as a reasonable solution when the OEM APPS is unavailable or financially burdensome. Way better than say an Autolite glow plug. ;)

Amazon seems to be relying on sellers and shadetree experts for their content descriptions and category accuracy. It’s like they have no clue at times how things are listed until after the fact. Too big to patrol and no volunteer sniffers like Wikipedia maybe.

You my friend are the man. The new part arrived today, took me a couple of minutes to install it (and a whole lot less swearing than before), and voilà, I've got a functional accelerator again.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
dan360 wrote:
Selador wrote:
Rustywrench wrote:

dan360 wrote:
delliottg wrote:

Any ideas?

You my friend are the man. The new part arrived today, took me a couple of minutes to install it (and a whole lot less swearing than before), and voilà, I've got a functional accelerator again.

:party:

Now if I could just find the good FIPL for MY truck.

On mine, the black OEM ones are very unreliable. Nor do they last very long. As expensive as they are, you want them to last longer than they do.

The gray OEM ones are the newer version, with the problems worked out.

The ONLY ones I can find are the black OEM ones.

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad that sensor worked out for you!

Selador, the sensor you need is OEM PN F2TZ-9B989-C. The color doesn’t mean much anymore as FoMoCo suppliers have changed the plastics but the internals of the C suffix revision are the updated design referenced the the 186A TSB in 1994.

I’m thinking we replaced it once under warranty but can’t remember if it was the “updated gray” one at the time or not and God knows what the next guy did to it. Either way they’re normally only good for about 50,000 miles anyways. Hope this helps.

Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
Glad that sensor worked out for you!

Selador, the sensor you need is OEM PN F2TZ-9B989-C. The color doesn’t mean much anymore as FoMoCo suppliers have changed the plastics but the internals of the C suffix revision are the updated design referenced the the 186A TSB in 1994.

I’m thinking we replaced it once under warranty but can’t remember if it was the “updated gray” one at the time or not and God knows what the next guy did to it. Either way they’re normally only good for about 50,000 miles anyways. Hope this helps.

That does help! Thank you. (Added to my amazon wish list so I'll remember it. :bigsmile: )

The gray one is still on there. Just not working quite right. And apparently it can have drastic effect on shift points, etc. So wondering if that is the problem, all along.

Need to replace that, and while I am at it, trace the wires all the way back. Apparently it is common to have problems with the wiring.

Now that I am recovering from the sickness I am back to working on it again. Although other things take precedence sometimes. LOL

Do justice. Love mercy.

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, I've started having very similar problems again. At first it was just some surging at lower speeds and RPM, but on the way home from a shopping trip last night, trying to go up a hill, the truck started bucking if I tried to accelerate at all. I was able to mostly maintain a low speed up the hill, but any attempt to speed up was met with bucking.

I'm also seeing the SES light intermittently again.

I last changed this out in August of 2019, is it possible the aftermarket position sensor has failed in less than two years?

Can you guys recommend a high quality one that I can get to replace it (assuming this is the problem again)?

Sat May 01, 2021 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, I couldn't find an OEM replacement anywhere that was available reasonably soon. I did some research online, and the same Dorman one seems to be the recommended OEM replacement. Napa sells them, and they come with a limited lifetime replacement warranty and the Monroe store had one in stock, so I'll be keeping the box & receipt in my glove box along with a Torx 25 wrench to replace it with. Put the new one in this morning, and the problem is gone.

Sun May 02, 2021 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next