Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Suspension/alignment shop suggestions? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really don't wanna deal with Les Schwab.

Anyone got any suggestions for a shop in the Bonney Lake area?

I got it most of the way there, but it needs some fine tuning and the steering wheel aligned with the suspension, since I aligned it the ghetto way, heh.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a former schwabbie and avid car whore I can solidly tell you that the schwab now is not what it was when I was there and Les was still alive (a great man, rip). While I've maintained my wholesale parts contacts throughout the years I rarely use them for anything beyond alignments for one simple reason: they maintain their shit. Period. They have the top of line hunter machines and their techs are ase trained. Just like wheel balancers alignment machines need REGULAR calibration. Know how you get that convenient reminder from lispy's goons in olympia well before your tabs are due? Shops that own gear get the same thing, but few ever maintain accordingly. I drift and road course so my specs are ocd and the speeds I run exceed what most will ever do but they always dial it in perfect so long as I emphasize what I'm expecting. Just make sure you weigh yourself (and be honest!) and ask for (or bring to be safe) weight to place IN THE DRIVERS SEAT, not on the floorboard-but in the seat. And whatever you carry on the regular, have it in the rig beforehand. Tools, speakerbox, gaggle of dwarves, full tank, keg of schmidt, etc. Thats a massively overlooked factor by many-real world loadings. Tru line in seattle would be another great option if you're dead set against schwab. Avoid shops with cable tethered non refractor type setups. I think most schwabs have gone to the hawk eye setups which are proper refractor types. Hope this helps and feel free to pm me if need be...

Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:06 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Of course, there is our own WA Jim, right? Maybe he doesnt do alignments...

I can recommend G&L Auto Repair in Auburn, but suggest only deal with Garry on the repairs, costs, estimates, and technical details.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this for a big truck? If so, the best around is Super Bee in west Olympia. It’s a trek I know, but it’s cheaper than new tires.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Is this for a big truck? If so, the best around is Super Bee in west Olympia. It’s a trek I know, but it’s cheaper than new tires.

5/4 ton.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used Apex in Puyallup (off Meridian) for years.
Granted my Raider isn't even CLOSE to a 5/4 ton, but Andy always treated me right.

Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, Les Schwab said I needed 2 new tie rod ends.. which wasn't a surprise... and said my steering box bolts were loose... LOL...

At least they didn't charge me for it...

They wanted something like $80 for one tie rod end, and something like $400, yes, 4 with two zeros at the end, for the other side, with them saying it's discontinued.

O'reilly has both, IN STOCK, for like $31... Even the Moog ones are only like $60

Thomas Paine wrote:

Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bringing this thread back since I’m in the same boat, need an alignment on our 2003 Chevy Tahoe four-wheel-drive. Solid axle rear end so really it’s just the front two wheels that can be adjusted and squared up with the rear axle thrust.

Does anyone have any experience with Best Tire? They offer a good package, $99 for all four wheel alignment with a one year unlimited mileage / unlimited visit warranty

Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jerrods wrote:
Bringing this thread back since I’m in the same boat, need an alignment on our 2003 Chevy Tahoe four-wheel-drive. Solid axle rear end so really it’s just the front two wheels that can be adjusted and squared up with the rear axle thrust.

Does anyone have any experience with Best Tire? They offer a good package, $99 for all four wheel alignment with a one year unlimited mileage / unlimited visit warranty
I got mine done today at best tire at Bonney Lake. I was skeptical at first but they were fairly quick and it fixed my issues. Also did a wheel balance since I threw a weight. They do have an updated alignment system and give you the before and after specs. I won’t recommend until I use them more but today was good. Mind you I had an appointment for yesterday and they canceled because the alignment tech call off. Not a deal breaker but kind of annoying with my schedule.

Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It should be noted... If you or your significant other, or children didnt hit anything hard recently, then your alignment may be simple worn suspension parts. Fix anything bad first and see how it feels.

Oh and what is a 5/4 ton?? i'm guessing 3/4 ton?? 2x4 or 4x4?

Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:

Thats civilian parade truck jargon for "actually a 1 ton truck that the army bought and since it has a brushguard and a pintle hitch, its now magically a 1.25 ton truck"!

Just a regular ol K30 with a shitty diesel, a brush guard, a shitty paint job and 4.56 gears.

Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
It should be noted... If you or your significant other, or children didnt hit anything hard recently, then your alignment may be simple worn suspension parts. Fix anything bad first and see how it feels.

It's a military version of a 1 ton with upgraded suspension, D60 front axle with 14 bolt full float corporate in the rear (and Detroit locker on some models, like mine), and reinforced frame.

But it's 95% 1983 Chevy K30 :D

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
shaggy wrote:

Thats civilian parade truck jargon for "actually a 1 ton truck that the army bought and since it has a brushguard and a pintle hitch, its now magically a 1.25 ton truck"!

Just a regular ol K30 with a shitty diesel, a brush guard, a shitty paint job and 4.56 gears.

'murka!

Attachment:
us_ebtrsp_cucv_m1031-001.jpg

Attachment:
04-27-2022_163833.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]