Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Drywall/sheetrock help needed. 

Bathroom project still going on. Finished with all the demo and most of the prep work. I have 2 very small areas that I need help with mud finish. Pierce County Summit-Midland area.

One area is where I installed the metal corner beads, and for the life of me I can't get the area between them level and smooth. It's a small spot, roughly 7" by 42". Most all other areas are going to be tiled over, so no need for finish grade mud work. Very small area also where I had to patch the ceiling, but I think the texturing should hide it as is, but welcome to fix that too if interested.

Such a small area I doubt I'd be able to get someone out to even look at it so I'm looking for help here. There is someone mentioned here on the boards recently that is OK with very small jobs, but for the life of me I can't remember who it is. Any help out there?

Thanks,

Tony

Tue May 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Most likely the problem you are having is do to either your lack of putty knife technique or the knives themselves. You simply can not go down to most hardware stores and find knifes suitable for drywall work. Mine are from the 1950s

Wed May 08, 2019 9:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pictures will help.

Thu May 09, 2019 8:16 am

Randall, maybe part of the issue, using tools I picked up at Lowes. I can't believe such a small area is causing such a headache, maybe much ado about nothing :frust:

Ryan, if I can't get it figured out I'll post a pic. It's trying to even up the low spot between the beads that's causing me grief. If it helps create a visual, if I lay a level/straight edge across the beads, there is about a 1/16th to just under 1/8th inch low spot.

I went over the areas with a damp sponge, which helped a lot. Ceiling is looking OK, texture will be the final tell but at this point looks like it should be fine.

As for the 7" x 42" column/partial wall, still has low spots so I guess its just a matter of laying on thin layers until it evens up? There will still be a low area between the beads which I don't think I'll be able to totally even out since they are so close together, about 7", it's really hard to even out unless I lay a bunch of mud in the middle, which I really don't want to do. The wall I had replaced had the same metal corner beads, and it had the same issue, the beads angled out slightly from the wall surface, and that was done by the builder/contractors.

edit: Added a skim coat, much closer. I think one light sanding and final skim coat should do it. I had one low corner on the ceiling patch that the primer revealed I evened up too. Almost there!

Thu May 09, 2019 12:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Skim coat, sand, skim coat, sand...etc. Sand out wide around the repair for better blending using a can of texture. The texture hides most indiscretions. Takes a little practice.

Divided we fall.

Thu May 09, 2019 4:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m no expert, but an extra wide putty knife while applying the skim coat helps keep it level with the surface. From recent attempts on my own, a flexible putty knife can help drive it into the shallow spots. Below are what I’ve used, but my drywall job was hidden behind cabinets and it wasn’t a mission critical job.

Like the previous poster mentioned, apply, sand, apply, sand, repeat ad nauseam, until finished. The pink DAP spackling can help with indicating when you can reapply due to the color change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thu May 09, 2019 5:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you really need mud knives wider than that. That six inch knife is really a taping knife.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu May 09, 2019 5:26 pm

I've been using a 6" to apply the tape, then a 12" to level it panel to panel.

As mentioned, the texture on ceiling should be good to go to hide small imperfections. The column is non textured, hence why I have to achieve a smooth finish. I expect it will be finished today, I'm pretty darned close.

Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 am

Never install tile directly over any form of sheetrock in a shower or tub back. It won't last 3-4 years before your studs will be moldy and starting to rot, plus the mold is toxic. . I have well over 20 years experience as a tile guy, including 15 years as a contractor

Mon May 20, 2019 10:03 am

I was going to used Redguard or some type of membrane system. I'm also waiting on a bid from a contractor that really likes the Wedi system.

Cap', if you are interested can you come out and provide a bid? So far, only one wall of the shower is sheetrocked anyway, can easily be removed for something else. Tub will be a freestanding, with several inches of clearance on 3 sides, totally clear from the front.

Mon May 20, 2019 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

trash what you got in that bathroom shower area and get backerboard (cement board) then use fiba tape with thin set motar.

Mon May 20, 2019 3:36 pm

Cmica, that's why I'm trying to get some pro bids. Some say green sheetrock with Redgard is fine, some say cement board on walls or under shower pan is overkill, some say sheetrock and membrane is the way to go, others recommend a styro type system (Kerdi, Wedi, etc.). You tube vids are split about the same. Confusing to say the least! One reason this project has taken so long, I want to do it right and do it once without breaking the bank if possible. That's one reason I have done all the demo and prep, trying to save where I can so I can spend it in other areas.

Mon May 20, 2019 4:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do Wedi. (I don't do Tacoma) It is the shit. Light weight/easy fast and clean to install. Can't mold. Impermeable without using redguard.

Costs a bit more.

Make sure your contractor trues your walls (makes the studs plumb and flat in relation to each other) which will make your tile sit flatter. If you are using plank tile make sure they stagger them with no more than a 1/3 overlap and use some kind of clip system or know how to avoid lippage. (more than a credit card thickness lippage is no bueno.)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon May 20, 2019 4:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]