Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:58 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bead blast auto rims? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone here have the capability to bead blast some 17" auto rims to get them down to bare aluminum so I can refinish them, for a reasonable fee?

Thinking I'll get these tired old rims down to bare aluminum, and get a good refinish on them as a winter set of rims.

Need to make this cost effective since rims are fairly inexpensive on CL and offerup...

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wheel paint is tough stuff. I’ve blasted one rim in my cabinet and that was enough of that for me

I know a guy that got a 55 gallon drum of some sort of stripper since he does powder coating. I’m sure he could give you a quote for doing them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:56 pm

I would take them to a radiator shop. I sand blasted a set for my dads blazer but I only sand blasted the inside since the rims weer going to be used for snow wheels and sometimes we have to use chains so it makes no sence to have them all pretty just needed them to not leak.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Les schwab will blast and powercoat steel wheels for reasonable. I think it was $50 each for some 1940 ford wheels i did a while back...

Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"bead" blasting the factory clear coat is tough at best, garnet or alum. oxide is way faster but leaves a rougher finish. its a lot of hours on a full set but i have a cabinet if you wanna give it a shot

Sounds like having a powder coater blast and coat might be a good way to go here

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]