Switch to full style
Post here if you are in need of a specific service, or have a job opening to advertise.
Post a reply

Running some network cables under the house

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:30 pm

Hey All,

Looking for some help running ethernet from the frontier termination point on one end of the house to the main media cabinet area in the center of the house (~50 feet). Need 3 cables run and terminated on both ends, ideally something rated for outdoor that mice won't shred if they get under there.

In the Bothell area. DM me and I'll get in touch.

Re: Running some network cables under the house

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:07 pm

Just as an option, you can get pre terminated cables for a pretty good price if you don’t mind running it yourself.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:23 pm

Massivedesign wrote:Just as an option, you can get pre terminated cables for a pretty good price if you don’t mind running it yourself.

yep and if your worried about rodents run it thru conduit

Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:11 pm

Yep you should be able to run three terminated cables through one inch conduit if you stagger the terminals taped to a cord and then use the cord to thread through the conduit 10 feet at a time. I would color code each cat 5 end so guessing not needed.

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:11 am

Appreciate the tips, but I could still use the help, if there is someone that can do this kind of work.

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:21 am

Do you need cable or 5e run?

I have a spool of 5e and the ends for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:14 am

I used to do this type of work professionally back in the day and it is not that hard IF you know ropes. I’m not physically able to do that work anymore.
Some will staple it on the outside of the house if it is a possible straightforward route.
Will it be required to drill into the floor plate of the wall or come out of a vent then back into the wall?
If you do decide to do this I would run minimum 1 inch plastic conduit or staple the wires to the joists if you think will be a problem, mice WILL chew it if left on the ground with easy access to them.

Good luck with your project.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:55 pm

I was looking for cat 6 or cat 5e. I was going to repurpose a coax wall outlet on one end and put a modular plate in with 3 ethernet ports and a coax (so we should be able to follow that down in to the crawlspace). The otherside already has an open conduit used for the home theater cabling.

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:39 am

leaferikson wrote:I was looking for cat 6 or cat 5e. I was going to repurpose a coax wall outlet on one end and put a modular plate in with 3 ethernet ports and a coax (so we should be able to follow that down in to the crawlspace). The otherside already has an open conduit used for the home theater cabling.

Then it sounds like you just need to get the cable and get busy then.

Good luck. :thumbsup2:

Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:56 am

Are you afraid of the crawlspace? Give ya the eebeegeebees?

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:25 pm

If it's stapled to the underside of the floor joists I doubt the mice will get to it

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:22 pm

I have a temporary (thankfully) movement disability so, while I appreciate the advice, clearly I'm asking in the wrong place.

Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:06 pm

Nah, you're good. These guys are just comparin' their peckers. Sorry they picked on you.
Post a reply