Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Engine replacement on my '08 Silverado 2500HD 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so my engine took a dump and dealer says it is at 70-80lbs in cylinders 7-8 instead of 400lbs compression, and spewing oil
so they recommend rebuilding it or replacing it. and of course they want a shitload of money for it, 13K for just the motor... F that...
I'm looking at buying a used engine and just swapping it out, 5K for the motor
who in the south sound that can do that? needs to be fairly local as i don't want to tow it far
called Plateau Diesel, they want 15K for a rebuild - no
called H&H, they won't even touch it "because, liability" - wtf?

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

5k for a used LS 5.3 or 6.0

Run away....., you can find complete motors for under a grand all day long

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mustangfreek wrote:
5k for a used LS 5.3 or 6.0

Run away....., you can find complete motors for under a grand all day long

Its a LMM :wink05:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reman engine for $6800

https://www.littlepowershop.com/categor ... gines.html

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure it'll be insulting, but to me a $6800 engine is to men what a $5000 gas stove is to a woman.

Personally I'd rather cut US GDP in half and everyone spends more time with their kids and community.

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:

with that i'd have to find someone competent enough to swap out all the externals, and there is an assload of them on this motor.
i did a fuel rail swap couple of years ago and it took me 2 days to do it icon_eek
so with 7K for a motor the swap would probably cost another 5K. I really don't have that kind of money to dump in it at once
I'd rather just do a straight swap and forget about it

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i found this one: https://carpartplanet.com/2008-chevrolet-silverado-2500-6-6l-vin-6.html
yes it's got 96K on it. comes with 3 year/36K mile warranty, free shipping, no core charge
maybe if i can get the swap done for 2-3K i will be ok. Keep the old motor and rebuild it and sell or sell to someone should get me some money back

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
i found this one: https://carpartplanet.com/2008-chevrolet-silverado-2500-6-6l-vin-6.html
yes it's got 96K on it. comes with 3 year/36K mile warranty, free shipping, no core charge
maybe if i can get the swap done for 2-3K i will be ok. Keep the old motor and rebuild it and sell or sell to someone should get me some money back

Then if it shits on you, you have to PAY for another removal/install out of pocket and most likely they will find some way to dance around the warranty issue.

A good friend of mine went thru this earlier this year. Replacement at dealer was 10K. Wrecking yard engine with warranty was 3500. Dealer charged 2500 to install. $6k total plus tax for used engine installed.

Engine shit oil every where. Dealer says they replaced seals so they are not at fault. Claim the engine has a "bent crank" (complete bullshit) and wrecking yard (BnR) says its still runs so its not their problem. Chev dealership also ripped the plug in out of his electric rack n pinion steering and tells him his rack is bad but its not their fault.

He was very frustrated and sold the car as a "mechanics special" for 2000 dollars two months ago.

Do you plan to sell this truck or keep it along time?

If it was mine Id put a brand new engine in it and figure out how to afford it.

The only thing more expensive than doing it the right way is doing it TWICE.

6800 for a new engine aint bad. Hell, I just paid 5k for a 40hp diesel for the mini excavator!

Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just talked to the Chevy dealer again, 13K is for motor+labor, 3 year/unlimited mileage warranty
i'm not planning on selling it, i don't use it a whole lot, i got other vehicles that get way better gas mileage, truck is just to do grunt work - pull the boat, haul heavy shit when needed
it's paid off so it's not a big burden keeping it. 140K on the truck, 6in lift, 35's, color matching canopy.
FML, i just might have to bite the bullet and do it, selling it as "mechanic's special" i'd lose my ass on it, i'd bet i couldn't sell it for 10K in this shitty economy
going to have to max out some credit cards :facepalm2:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

movingviolation wrote:
just talked to the Chevy dealer again, 13K is for motor+labor, 3 year/unlimited mileage warranty
i'm not planning on selling it, i don't use it a whole lot, i got other vehicles that get way better gas mileage, truck is just to do grunt work - pull the boat, haul heavy shit when needed
it's paid off so it's not a big burden keeping it. 140K on the truck, 6in lift, 35's, color matching canopy.
FML, i just might have to bite the bullet and do it, selling it as "mechanic's special" i'd lose my ass on it, i'd bet i couldn't sell it for 10K in this shitty economy
going to have to max out some credit cards :facepalm2:

If you don't use it a lot it doesn't make sense to drop that kind of money on it. I'd look for a replacement engine from a wreck

My van has a $300 engine and $150 transmission, both from craigslist. It will probably run forever. Had I bought a rebuild or spent more money I'm sure it would have crapped out by now

Murphy's law is real

Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well, it isn't a POS beater either, it is in pretty good shape otherwise...
dammit y'all got me all torn on what to do with it, lol

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:11 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

.... how's your insurance? Full coverage? Shame that those motors like to spontaneously combust huh....

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:41 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
My van has a $300 engine and $150 transmission, both from craigslist. It will probably run forever. Had I bought a rebuild or spent more money I'm sure it would have crapped out by now

Murphy's law is real

A $300 dollar gamble against a $7-8000 dollar gamble.

Id want some protection if it were me.

I buy $1-500 engines and trans for my old chevys all the time.

But when I needed a tranny for my newer dodge ($2000+ tranny only- no labor) I went with a new/warranty unit. Sure I could have bought a used one for $600 and maybe it last ten years, maybe only one year?

Lifes a gamble. Place your bet. :popcorn:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:

But when I needed a tranny for my newer dodge ($2000+ tranny only- no labor) I went with a new/warranty unit. Sure I could have bought a used one for $600 and maybe it last ten years, maybe only one year?

Sounds to me what you're saying is that you want your daily driver to be reliable, but for something used every now-and-again it's ok to wait for the right deal to come along and take the risk

Which is what I was getting at

Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

Sounds to me what you're saying is that you want your daily driver to be reliable, but for something used every now-and-again it's ok to wait for the right deal to come along and take the risk

Which is what I was getting at

Thats the EXACT opposite of what Im saying. I dont agree with fixing this duramax like you state AT ALL.

I daily drive my halfa dozen old chevys. I drove the 78 shorty today to bid two jobs and get parts. I drove my old blazer yesterday. All weekend I drove my Impala. I haven't drove either of the doges in over a week.

I drive the TWO nower dodges (one with diesel fuel tanks) and the other (with a flatbed and always hooked to a 24' trailer) every now and then. ( like when I haul things on trailer or need to refill the fuel tanks).

I was saying that old chevy trannys are CHEAP, STRONG and PLENTIFUL. Just like your old 300sixer. Pretty SAFE gamble/bet. Hell, I have two fords here with engines and autos I will give to you for free.

Finding GOOD used dodge auto is about as easy as finding a GOOD used duraturd engine. RISKY bet/gamble. Look at every duramax adyou can find "engine/tranny SOLD" is what they all say. If you do find one, who knows what kinda shape its in.

They have all had a ton of miles with some overtuned up dieseltards foot up its ass before it got traded in and then the second owner is NOW parting it out due to a collision.

My money is my money, and it fixes my trucks.
Your money is your money and it fixes your trucks.
The op will decide on whatever he feels comfortable doing.

I was just offering my advice on what I would do when fixing a vehicle of a higher caliber than a $1200 pickemup truck, regardless of how often its used. :thumbsup2:

Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next