Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Need a 40S&W barrel reamed to 10mm 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As the title suggests, I'm looking into having a .40 S&W barrel chamber reamed to 10mm auto. This is a "hold my beer" kinda job. I've got a spare USP40 slide and barrel assembly, I'll be getting a frame for it, and I'd like to make the 10mm gun that HK should've made. It's been done before, more than once and more than one way, but the barrel work is the hardest part to source nowadays.

Literally.

I'm not sure which barrel will be used, but it will either be the factory HK barrel I already have, which has a reputation for being stupid hard, or an aftermarket nitrided barrel, which, by nature of the nitride process, will also be stupid hard.

Will also need a little bit of machining on the slide to open the ejection port a little and cerakoted afterwards, but that's actually the easy part.

Advice? Guy to call? Stop it before you blow your hand up?
Any leads would be appreciated.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pvanderzee wrote:
As the title suggests, I'm looking into having a .40 S&W barrel chamber reamed to 10mm auto. This is a "hold my beer" kinda job. I've got a spare USP40 slide and barrel assembly, I'll be getting a frame for it, and I'd like to make the 10mm gun that HK should've made. It's been done before, more than once and more than one way, but the barrel work is the hardest part to source nowadays.

Literally.

I'm not sure which barrel will be used, but it will either be the factory HK barrel I already have, which has a reputation for being stupid hard, or an aftermarket nitrided barrel, which, by nature of the nitride process, will also be stupid hard.

Will also need a little bit of machining on the slide to open the ejection port a little and cerakoted afterwards, but that's actually the easy part. Dreadi @ Blackhammer Arms would be your huckleberry for this part. Bit of a drive, but worth it. You might discuss your concept with him too

Advice? Guy to call? Stop it before you blow your hand up?
Any leads would be appreciated.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:
Pvanderzee wrote:

Will also need a little bit of machining on the slide to open the ejection port a little and cerakoted afterwards, but that's actually the easy part. Dreadi @ Blackhammer Arms would be your huckleberry for this part. Bit of a drive, but worth it. You might discuss your concept with him too

The Hammer's on my short list for the slide work and paint job. I just need to get the barrel part figured out first. That's the critical portion of this whole experiment. Without a working 10mm barrel, the rest of the ordeal is moot. The slide work is borderline optional.

zombie66 wrote:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the nitriding depth is .4mm or less, so if you were to shave material off the bore, you'd have to FNC treat the barrel again.

I would imagine it would also be notoriously difficult to machine a nitride-treated barrel.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:
I think the nitriding depth is .4mm or less, so if you were to shave material off the bore, you'd have to FNC treat the barrel again.

I would imagine it would also be notoriously difficult to machine a nitride-treated barrel.

or micro slick the bare metal instead.

Divided we fall.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:06 pm

Bit late to the party here but what a cool idea. Did you get it done?

Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thermox9898 wrote:
Bit late to the party here but what a cool idea. Did you get it done?

Did I get the barrel reamed? No. Did I convert a USP to 10mm? Yes. An HK machine shop did a run of 10mm barrels.

The only two or three things left to do are to remove some material from the magwell so the HK45 mags are easy to extract, push the feed lips on the mags in just a tad, and open up the ejection port to allow the ejection of live rounds. It should otherwise be a functioning pistol as it sits.

zombie66 wrote:

Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]