Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:40 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Need help with a dialup modum with Windows 10. 

I only have dialup at the other house. Right now I use dialup on an old XP laptop but I am running out of browsers that will work so I bought an external dialup modum my this Windows 10 laptop. I installed the modum just fine and I can see that the modum is active the problem is that I can not find how to slow Windows 10 down so that it will use it instead of timing out. I can only get 20-24k at the cabin. Even using Windows XP I have to click the wait button a couple times when going to my secondary ISP website. Once I have the page mounted I keep it there as the first time can take 15 minutes to half an hour. I have dug through all the websites that I can and found nothing. It has to be a simple setting but I sure can not find it. Using my cell to check my email is possible but even with the repeter inside I only have 2G and it is Winter so out in the snow at a spot wher I found 3G is cold.

Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you use the xp machine to connect, and then network to it with the windows 10 machine?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:58 pm

No I can not network the XP machine. My XP laptop is slowly falling apart. I brought it home a bit more then a month ago to work on it. I spent hours just downloading browsers tring to get some that would work. If I am remembering right I am using Firefox as most websites I tried to log in to would not work with IE8 The CDburner/DVD drive will not read anymore.

Last edited by hartcreek on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:
No I can not network the XP machine.

Why not?

Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

are you able to ping outside or traceroot in shell? If so, you have a connection.

Most pages are huge amounts of data compared to not long ago. Get starlink when you can.

Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See if you can ping 8.8.8.8 in command prompt. Also check your IP settings to make sure you have DHCP on and not a static IP. You can also try a loopback ping (127.0.0.1) in command prompt as well just to make sure your physical connection works on your computer. Not sure your how computer savvy you are but I'll be willing to help. I'm no expert but I have my CompTIA Network+, Server+, and A+ and worked IT desktop support for a decade.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what about running your dial up program in a "compatibility" mode?

something like this:

Attachment:
Capture.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]