Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Can this be welded? The rest of the story with pictures! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe instead of welding, a riveted long steel handle with a wood handle the whole length across the top and extending where the old handle was? Essentially, two flat 15" (or whatever) pieces of steel sandwiching the blade, create a new long handle thereby eliminating the weak point where it broke.

I cannot say if welding will work, but my suspicions are that it won't and it won't be cost effective anyway. Perhaps there's a warranty if you can find the company? A good company will carry a lifetime warranty on their blades.

Or it's not a total loss. Fashion a handle across the top of the blade and make a pizza cutter or other tool.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
Maybe instead of welding, a riveted long steel handle with a wood handle the whole length across the top and extending where the old handle was? Essentially, two flat 15" (or whatever) pieces of steel sandwiching the blade, create a new long handle thereby eliminating the weak point where it broke.

I cannot say if welding will work, but my suspicions are that it won't and it won't be cost effective anyway. Perhaps there's a warranty if you can find the company? A good company will carry a lifetime warranty on their blades.

Or it's not a total loss. Fashion a handle across the top of the blade and make a pizza cutter or other tool.

Something like this is what I'm leaning toward. Especially since Rita asked if something like that could be done.

I'm going to bring it into work tomorrow and see if one of our machinists can grind it square and drill 2-3 holes along the top for me to mount some scales on.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:

I wish we could get a better look at the broken ends.

My gut says there has been a crack there for a while already.

Also, it could be silver soldered, or brazed. Then it might break again where it broke before, or it might not. It would also LOOK like it had been soldered or brazed.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is what can be done. Keep the blade portion cool, like submerged in water. Anneal the spine, at least near the break, but better to do the whole thing. Tig weld together. Cool slowly. Refinish to remove heat discoloration. Don't beat with mallet. Any guesses what the material is?

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ironworker78 wrote:
Here is what can be done. Keep the blade portion cool, like submerged in water. Anneal the spine, at least near the break, but better to do the whole thing. Tig weld together. Cool slowly. Refinish to remove heat discoloration. Don't beat with mallet. Any guesses what the material is?

I would listen to this guy delliottg.
He can fix it. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ironworker78 wrote:

Part of the kanji on the blade apparently says "high carbon stainless". Does that help?

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

High carbon stainless sounds like 400 series stainless

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've asked a friend who can read Japanese to translate it for me.

Regarding the potential of it being an old crack, I don't think so, there's no indication along the entire break that there was any flaw there.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
I've asked a friend who can read Japanese to translate it for me.

Regarding the potential of it being an old crack, I don't think so, there's no indication along the entire break that there was any flaw there.

Ok.

You understood my intention, so I think it's safe to assume your assessment is a good one. :bigsmile: :thumbsup2:

I was going to suggest that it was a high carbon stainless and maybe the handle and spine were left too brittle for hammering on. You guys beat me to it. (No pun intended.)

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My friend translated it to read: "Kitchen use cleaver -High Carbon Stainless Steel", so no manufacturer's name, very utilitarian.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my opinion, a cleaver is an impact tool. As such, the material should be able to take repeated impacts. I believe this cleaver was made too brittle for that task, and should have bent before breaking. I would say now is a good time for an upgrade.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two strips of wood across bolted the top and out the broken side for the grip.
Done

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Dang. Ow.

You must now sacrifice much to SWMBO to appease her wrath!

But you knew this.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most Japanese cleavers are for vegetables only. I realize you were trying to cut through a veg, but apparently got a tough one.

Chinese cleavers tend to have ones made for veggies, and ones for meat/bones.

To get back on her good side, take her to the place below....make an afternoon of it, grab lunch or dinner, get educated.

The place isn't cheap, but you're paying for the education on purchase, and caring for the knives. You can always buy something inexpensive, and go online for the more spendy stuff:

http://www.epicedge.com/

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dave what did you happen to do with this??

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next