Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Opinions on 2002 BMW X5 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's the 6 cylinder, has 150k miles on it, and they're asking $3800. According to KBB, this is right in line for it's age and mileage. The body looks straight (I've only seen pictures), and the engine compartment and interior look clean.

Any BMW guys here? Got an opinion on this car?

Wed May 09, 2018 9:18 am
Profile WWW

Search "E53" (the model code), you'll get more knowledgeable BMW forums. I researched E53's and decided against it because of the problematic air suspension and electrical issues. My sister bought one (against my advice), replaced the air suspension bags/compressor, and currently has electrical issues.

Some people have no trouble and like them. I6 isn't fast.

Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wife has a 2011 X3 35i fully loaded.
She loves it, I love it. Keeps the dogs from getting up to us being in the hatchback, but I don't like them back there in case of a rear end crash. It hauls ass, just plain gets up and moves!
I've had to replace the electric water pump and thermostat twice, first set failed after 6 or so months.
Great fuel mileage when the wife drives it, me not so much, think she's bouncing in the low twenties on her 14 mile round trip commute and we can get mid twenties on the freeway with her watching my driving...
I don't abide by service schedules and change oil before 5k miles even on synthetic and no aftermarket filter, doesn't fit right.
Second one we've had that the cover on glove box is peeling off the frame. I'll fix this when the weather is hot and I can stretch it, pain in the ass.
It's still on original battery even!
Not sure if cam sensor recall covers your year, hers had to have it done. There's the airbag deal to check on, a seat belt issue with early years. About all I can remember at the moment.
BMW's have an issue with brake dust, and when the brake pad warning indictor comes on, pad AND sensor have to be bought.

Wed May 09, 2018 9:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not all of them have the air suspension. I would avoid it if it did. The 6cyl is the better engine, less problems compared to the v8. Typical problems we see are age related, valve cover gasket and oil filter stand gaskets drying out and leaking. The transfer case motor gear can strip out and cause 4wd issues but there is a replacement gear that works great for a lot cheaper than a new motor. Not uncommon to have coils start failing around 100k so if they weren't done it might be needed. Any way to at least get a code read on it if not a vehicle inspection? If there are gear monitoring codes in the trans it could be starting to have problems. Not real common on that year though those codes are an indication of slippage starting usually due to lack of maintenance.

Wed May 09, 2018 9:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it!

We haven't talked to them as yet, so no way to get codes (I've got a scanner and could use it on the test drive if we decide to take a look at it).

Wed May 09, 2018 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can work on cars yourself go for it. If you don’t know anything about cars then buy a Toyota or Honda. German cars will put you in the poor house when they have to be worked on.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed May 09, 2018 1:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sc00by71 wrote:
Not all of them have the air suspension. I would avoid it if it did. The 6cyl is the better engine, less problems compared to the v8. Typical problems we see are age related, valve cover gasket and oil filter stand gaskets drying out and leaking. The transfer case motor gear can strip out and cause 4wd issues but there is a replacement gear that works great for a lot cheaper than a new motor. Not uncommon to have coils start failing around 100k so if they weren't done it might be needed. Any way to at least get a code read on it if not a vehicle inspection? If there are gear monitoring codes in the trans it could be starting to have problems. Not real common on that year though those codes are an indication of slippage starting usually due to lack of maintenance.

This man knows his shizzay.

Wed May 09, 2018 4:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
If you can work on cars yourself go for it. If you don’t know anything about cars then buy a Toyota or Honda. German cars will put you in the poor house when they have to be worked on.

Not true. I farm out my German vehicle cheaper than I can repair it myself. Find a good mechanic. Hint hint. See my previous quote ;)

Wed May 09, 2018 4:07 pm

dan360 wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:
Not true. I farm out my German vehicle cheaper than I can repair it myself.

I'm curious how that works. I agree that German cars aren't inherently more expensive to own, but I certainly save money doing repairs myself (E46/E39 owner).

Wed May 09, 2018 6:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a 2006 X5 4.4i and really miss it. It handled and drove great. It wasn’t easy on gas, but I also wasn’t easy on the throttle. ;)

My suggestions:

Call Signature BMW in Kirkland and arrange for a pre purchase inspection.

Plan on using Signature for maintenance if you aren’t going to do it yourself. They are awesome and reasonably priced.

2002 is one of the earlier models. I prefer the look of the later “post facelift” E53. The differences are subtle. Feature-wise, the E53s are pretty much the same depending on the packages the car has.

The Sport package is totally worth it if you like “spirited driving”.

While the 3.0 is generally more reliable (BMW had that block forever), I thought the 4.4 was more fun to drive. But there are more problems with it. Mine underwent a $4k valve stem seal job which was a typical problem with the N62 V8 of that era. Really glad that the extended warranty I bought covered that.

Www.xoutpost.com is a great forum with tons of resources on the E53. It’s a pretty active community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sreyemj wrote:
dan360 wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:
Not true. I farm out my German vehicle cheaper than I can repair it myself.

I'm curious how that works. I agree that German cars aren't inherently more expensive to own, but I certainly save money doing repairs myself (E46/E39 owner).

Simple economics. My personal time is valued at X.

If the shop rate is close to that, coupling convenience of warranty, downtime, and being free to pursue other interests within that same time block, then it's less expensive to have the shop do it.

Plus I get good karma by helping keep a fellow WaGunner employed :thumbsup2:

Thu May 10, 2018 4:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dont do it.....you have been warned

Thu May 10, 2018 8:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]