Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Jeep mechanic 

Have a family member in need of a reputable and affordable mechanic for a 2005 Jeep. In need of a radiator, water pump and thermostat. And yes, I already gave him the advice that he shouldn't have bought a jeep :peep: He's gotten one quote for $749 which sounds reasonable, but I'm used to dealing with foreign cars. I asked which engine it has, but he hasn't replied yet (Probably doesn't know).

They are out in Gig Harbor, so someone in the Kitsap/Pierce County area preferred.

Thanks in Advance,

Tony

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Radiator, Water pump and thermostat are about the easiest things on a jeep besides wheels.

Didn't he know owning a Jeep requires you have tools?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it a jeep or "other" chrysler product. A jeep is square and has vertical grill bars. Its utility and kinda simple.

Most people refer to their cherokee, liberty, etc as a "jeep". These "other" jeeps are an even bigger POS with about 200lbs of shit packed into a 2lb sack.

If its a TJ then it could be done pretty easily by any competent shade tree mechanic. Its an "other" jeep it could be a pile of crap to work on.

PS, dont replace a pump, thermo, and radiator without putting on a new serp belt.

My wife pile o crap TJ has 41,000 miles and needs a new plastic/alum radiator. But her old 4runner had 320,000 on it before i had to replace the brass/copper radiator.

Chrysler=Junk.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://auburncarrepair.com/

Best guys to work on your jeep if your looking for a shop. NOBODY knows jeep products better than John and crew at AuburnCarRepair n 4x4. Honest folks to. I highly recommend.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks for the info Old Growth. I still don't know exactly which model it is, but did learn it has the 3.7 V6. I'll actually be seeing it later today, so hope to find out more. And I agree, I can't imagine a shop changing that stuff without also adding new belts.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure which model you're looking to work on, and I'm not familiar with the 3.7, however, on my 95 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 inline 6, the radiator thermostat and water pump were very simple to change, and total parts I had less than $200 invested, and I bought an aftermarket full aluminum multi core radiator as a replacement for the single core plastic one that was in it, which was 3/4th of that cost. Took me around an hour to swap everything.

As far as "other" jeeps being a POS, my ZJ here has over 320k miles on its inline 6 and all I've done is replace a cracked exhaust header, the radiator (because I wanted to, not needed to), water pump and thermostat. Plugs and basic maintenance as well of course. Its taken me through some rough country hunting, camping, etc too.

Can't speak for the newer ones (TJ, WJ, etc), but the older HO 6 cyls are bullet proof.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 am

The 3.7 v6 is super easy to swap the water pump and thermostat. Radiator is a radiator lol. Curious why he thinks he needs to replace the rad and thermostat though? Or just wants to while the coolant is drained?

But the water pump is pretty much just pop hood, drain coolant, remove belt, remove tensioner, unbolt the water pump, remove and clean mating surface, reinstall everything. The thermostat is on the lower hose so while its drained it is just a matter of two bolts and swapping them.

The radiator is a bit more involved but still not bad. Mostly just unbolting/removing things.

As for a shop...we always go to L&R Automotive in Bremerton when we don't do it ourselves.

As for cost....you are looking at around $250 in parts from a quick look. Rad is ~150, water pump ~60, ~20 for a thermostat. Then the misc cost like ATF fluid to top off the transmission (it connects to the rad) and coolant. Shop rate at ~100 an hour puts them at saying itll take 4 hours or so which doesn't sound bad (especially since its book time)

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:39 pm

Thanks all. He is having it done at G&L in Auburn which is close to where he works. Don't know much about them, but they have been there forever and it's a multi-generational family run shop so I would expect them to be reputable. I thought the price sounded reasonable, I figured parts/fluids cost to be close to 300-350ish or so.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]