Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:08 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Exterior Door and Storm Door Install 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking to have a new exterior door and storm door installed in the house. Called The Door Store here in Marysville and was surprised to hear they don’t do the installs.

I know we have a couple of contractors on here and would just as soon give my money to one of them.

I can go either way. I buy the door you do the install or, if you have a preferred vendor, you buy the door and I pay one person instead of two.

Getting the house painted next month, new roof at the end of this month. I would imagine it would be better to do the install AFTER painting (?)

Thanks Guys

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:09 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I would do it before paint. That way any trim, siding or drywall that gets damaged will all be installed before paint rather than having to paint it yourself after.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm too far south or I would do it, sorry

You want to install the exterior door before painting and the storm door after.

I can check pricing on doors from my lumber company if you want a comparison.

For the storm door on the back of our house I wanted a security door that the wife could lock but still get ventilation. Ended up getting it at Home Depot. Nobody else had anything decent.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
I'm too far south or I would do it, sorry

You want to install the exterior door before painting and the storm door after.

I can check pricing on doors from my lumber company if you want a comparison.

For the storm door on the back of our house I wanted a security door that the wife could lock but still get ventilation. Ended up getting it at Home Depot. Nobody else had anything decent.

That’s the plan here. Lockable a Storm with ventilation albeit a front door.

The guy at The Door Store ‘says’ he’s got the best prices and on-hand availability... I’ll update the thread with his prices.

I actually got a solid wood door for my bedroom, and was able to hire one of his employees on the side for the install. I assisted as I steel plated the jam, striker and hinge side. With knob locked and deadbolt set, you’d have better luck busting through the drywall on either side of the door. Even then you’d better be skinny lol. Unfortunately that guy no longer works there, and an exterior door is a whole different animal.

das_napeth wrote:
I would do it before paint. That way any trim, siding or drywall that gets damaged will all be installed before paint rather than having to paint it yourself after.

Good Point. Thanks for that!

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]