Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Having a garage built? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I were to refinance and finally get a garage built..... Anyone know a contractor or whatever that does all that stuff?

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know a good dirt guy and a good concrete guy

I can do the framing and siding

I know a good roofer, gutter guy, a few electricians and plumbers.

Don’t know any good painters right now. Might be on your own for that.

For the plans I’d recommend Joel Parker in Tacoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know a good painter

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:49 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I need these things too pretty soon. Was going to start on it this summer but taxes raped me and then I spent what money I did have on more guns.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can sometimes help with plans. Depending on workload.

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's it all a part and parcel kinda thing now? Or does a contractor just usually do all the subletting these days?

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:
It's it all a part and parcel kinda thing now? Or does a contractor just usually do all the subletting these days?

A lot of contractors hire subs. I just finished building my house. Hired a general me and my friends did a lot of the work to save money. I used the generals guys for mostly the stuff that requires licenses (electric, gas, and plumbing).

It depends on the general you hire if you just pay him and he deals with it all, ends up being more expensive that way.

None of my friends that helped build my house live or work that far south (if you’re in Tacoma) so I can’t be of much help with introducing you to them.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:

I do have contractors that I routinely work for that I can recommend.

Some do more of the work themselves than others but they all call me to do the framing since I can do it faster and to tighter tolerances. Then they mark my price up around 10-20% and charge the client.

For something as simple as a garage there's enough experience here that we can walk you through the project. The subs that I have to recommend are guys like me that are small companies, high quality and don't need much oversight. Guys that don't do something stupid just because the plans say that's the way it should be done.

Whichever way you go you're going to need a plan first. When I built my shop I walked into Tacoma's building department with three hand drawn pages. They stapled some detail pages to that and stamped it. They've gotten a little more picky since then. It all needs to be digital and in a specific format.

I can come over sometime and talk about what you want to do. Get a rough idea of what's possible within the limitations that Tacoma set. It has to be less than 15' tall and less than 1000 sq. ft. When I built my shop there was a rule about having a "required rear yard", my shop couldn't take up a certain percentage of the back 25' of my lot. That has changed to "usable open yard space" and if I'm reading those rules correctly you just need to leave 15' open to the back alley.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Rix86 wrote:

I do have contractors that I routinely work for that I can recommend.

Some do more of the work themselves than others but they all call me to do the framing since I can do it faster and to tighter tolerances. Then they mark my price up around 10-20% and charge the client.

For something as simple as a garage there's enough experience here that we can walk you through the project. The subs that I have to recommend are guys like me that are small companies, high quality and don't need much oversight. Guys that don't do something stupid just because the plans say that's the way it should be done.

Whichever way you go you're going to need a plan first. When I built my shop I walked into Tacoma's building department with three hand drawn pages. They stapled some detail pages to that and stamped it. They've gotten a little more picky since then. It all needs to be digital and in a specific format.

I can come over sometime and talk about what you want to do. Get a rough idea of what's possible within the limitations that Tacoma set. It has to be less than 15' tall and less than 1000 sq. ft. When I built my shop there was a rule about having a "required rear yard", my shop couldn't take up a certain percentage of the back 25' of my lot. That has changed to "usable open yard space" and if I'm reading those rules correctly you just need to leave 15' open to the back alley.

I agree with rocketscott, this is something that’s pretty easy to be the general yourself which will save you a lot of money.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well maybe I should be more specific in what I want here. I want to do my part in trying to secure the financing which I've been wanting to refinance the house anyway but then I want to take that money and give it to someone and have them do the plans the permits all of that stuff. In one go.
I'm at the point where the time is the problem I just don't have the time to screw with it. I just kind of want a bigger shop as I can have and I know there's limitations like rocketScott was saying. in the thing that I looked up in the Tacoma website it said that there's also an 85% of the main house square footage limitation.
My goal here is to have the biggest garage I'm allowed to have, and it would be really nice if I had one space that I could put a lift in.
if I have to pay a little more so that I have to spend less of my time to do it that's fine with me.
But I also want any problems with coding or permits or plans to be handled.
and if I have to tear down my shed or board up my single car garage under the house that's fine too.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:
Well maybe I should be more specific in what I want here. I want to do my part in trying to secure the financing which I've been wanting to refinance the house anyway but then I want to take that money and give it to someone and have them do the plans the permits all of that stuff. In one go.
I'm at the point where the time is the problem I just don't have the time to screw with it. I just kind of want a bigger shop as I can have and I know there's limitations like rocketScott was saying. in the thing that I looked up in the Tacoma website it said that there's also an 85% of the main house square footage limitation.
My goal here is to have the biggest garage I'm allowed to have, and it would be really nice if I had one space that I could put a lift in.
if I have to pay a little more so that I have to spend less of my time to do it that's fine with me.
But I also want any problems with coding or permits or plans to be handled.
and if I have to tear down my shed or board up my single car garage under the house that's fine too.

Get with an architect and explain what you want. They do all the permitting and the plans etc. then get people from here to do the work once the plans are approved? It doesn’t take much of your time for what a general contractor is going to charge you.

Basically you get the architect to draw up the plans and get them approved. Hire a dirtwork/foundation guy to dig and pour, will probably need footing drainage so most of the time they do that as well. If you want a sink and/or bathroom get a plumber to do the sewage pipes. Get someone to pour the slab (this can also be done later). Then comes framing. Then roofing. Then rough in electrical and plumbing along with siding. If you want it heated I’d put in a ductless minisplit (Hvac guy). They have ac and heat and work really well and efficiently. Also if you’re using an air compressor run some lines in the walls to make it look clean. Then you get a drywall guy if you’re wanting to have it all sheetrocked. Then painting and final electrical/plumbing and gutters (I have a good gutter guy down south)

You got rock who knows people for most of it he can just give you numbers and all you have to do is tell them where you want electrical stuff (outlets, lights) and just schedule them.

I can do the roofing and exterior painting. Probably even interior but I’ve never done it. Rocketscott and his friends can do the rest

Honestly it’s way easier than you think but if you want to waste extra money go ahead.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know where to plan for the money involved.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:

Ah, you want to find how much it’s going to cost so you can take that loan out?

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:
...I looked up in the Tacoma website it said that there's also an 85% of the main house square footage limitation.

It's whichever is smaller of these three: 85% of your house footprint (not square footage) so 983 x .85 = 835.5, 15% of your lot (9,250 x .15= 1,387.5), or 1000 sq ft.

When I said 1000 square feet above I was just assuming your house square footage was 1,569 (what the assessor lists your house). I didn't catch that it's actually based on footprint. They may count your front porch for footprint since it's covered, then you could get closer to 900 square feet. Good thing that rule wasn't around when I built my shop. The house is only 744 square feet and I built the garage at 660.

Rix86 wrote:

That's why I think I should come by and measure, see what will fit and draw up a rough plan. With that I can get bids/estimates so you can figure out the budget. Maybe a builder that does garages all the time can throw out a price per square foot but I wouldn't trust it.

The kicker is going to be the height limit. I went with 10' walls and had to lower the roof pitch (on the plan anyway, I still built it they way I had planned) to stay under 15'. Depending on how you want to lay it out we might be able to use scissor trusses to get a little more height inside or go with a flat roof for all or part of it.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next