Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:56 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Need to replace my furnace, got any suggestions? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My gas furnace has seen better days and its next up on the to do list. Does anyone have any good recommendations so I can get some quotes?

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My trane has been pretty efficient and has worked flawlessly since 2006. It is a 90 percent efficiency unit. Do some math against your annual consumption to see if one of the more expensive 95 % units is worth the money.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't have AC, now would be the time. heat pump might be able to do both jobs in everything but the coldest winter days, but if you have a stove it may not matter. High efficiency units may not be worth it depending on your ducting setup/insulation.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 96% efficient Carrier. Big house with high ceilings. First winter, my gas bill dropped $90 a month. I've had it for 7 years now. Except for the original installers being under-trained monkeys, its been great.

Only draw back on the high efficiency is that if you have copper piping, they have to replace it with PVC.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use my firewood insert as my main source of heat as of now, but thinking down the road for resale purposes I need to replace the furnace.

I thought about going with AC as well, but I would like to stay under $4k if possible. I don't need anything fancy, just want a working unit.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:26 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PM Massivedesign, he's told me a few times how happy he was with the company that installed the furnace/heat pump at his new house.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:59 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

sinus211 wrote:
PM Massivedesign, he's told me a few times how happy he was with the company that installed the furnace/heat pump at his new house.

I have two people that do HVAC that I can speak volumes to.
The first is "A Perfect Temp" - Ken is the owner and also works a 9-5 at WSP as a fire guy. HVAC is his side gig, and he has been doing it for years. Right now is fire season though, so he probably won't be doing any new systems, just maintaining and warranty work. Come fall, he's all about the new installs.

The other is "Custom Comfort NW" - Shane is my companies go-to HVAC guy. Residential, Commercial etc. He's pretty good about thinking outside of the box.

The downside is that they are both in the Oly area. Travelling north to do installs, warranty work etc would likely price them out of your local companies.

FTR: I have a Goodman Propane Furnace with a Goodman Heat pump as the primary. It's a 98% efficient unit. I had Ken install it when I bought my new house a few years ago. I think total cost (including removal of the old one) was right about $6-7k.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.buriennaturalgas.com/index.html These folks replaced my furnace after the fire. Last winter my heating bill was less than half from previous years. I purchased a high efficiency Trane and I am happy that I bought it. Local and friendly folks

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:36 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Massivedesign wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

I have two people that do HVAC that I can speak volumes to.
The first is "A Perfect Temp" - Ken is the owner and also works a 9-5 at WSP as a fire guy. HVAC is his side gig, and he has been doing it for years. Right now is fire season though, so he probably won't be doing any new systems, just maintaining and warranty work. Come fall, he's all about the new installs.

The other is "Custom Comfort NW" - Shane is my companies go-to HVAC guy. Residential, Commercial etc. He's pretty good about thinking outside of the box.

The downside is that they are both in the Oly area. Travelling north to do installs, warranty work etc would likely price them out of your local companies.

FTR: I have a Goodman Propane Furnace with a Goodman Heat pump as the primary. It's a 98% efficient unit. I had Ken install it when I bought my new house a few years ago. I think total cost (including removal of the old one) was right about $6-7k.

Was that including the price of the furnace and pump? Our new house needs a new furnace and I'm thinking of adding the heat pump so we have A/C in the summer time. $6k-$7k would be outstanding!

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:46 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

sinus211 wrote:
Was that including the price of the furnace and pump? Our new house needs a new furnace and I'm thinking of adding the heat pump so we have A/C in the summer time. $6k-$7k would be outstanding!

Actually, I stand corrected. It was right around 8k. The furnace was actually a 96% as well (found the warranty). Furnace, HP, Electronic Filter (a must for those with allergies) and installation. (there wasn't a HP before, so new power had to be run etc).

You can now find the furnace for under 1k - https://www.acwholesalers.com/Goodman-A ... PuEALw_wcB

You can also get my same HP now for just about $1500.
Cased Coil - https://www.acwholesalers.com/Goodman-A ... A5EALw_wcB
Heat Pump - https://www.acwholesalers.com/Goodman-A ... vbEALw_wcB

Add another $500 for the elec air cleaner (no paper filters) and equipment is right about $3k!

Remember, this unit was sized for my house... Your house may need a different fan or tonnage on the HP. But the cost shouldn't vary by that much.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]