Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:06 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 SIG optics 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least twice a week or more, I see SIG optics being advertised by the major sellers at sometimes really good prices.
So... can they be trusted?
I was curious and let Google be my friend.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/optics-review-sig-sauer-tango6-5-30x56mm-rifle-scope/
Says here they stole some people from Leupold.
Now when I see any SIG glass on sale, I tend to pay more attention.
Live and learn.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gah, a full rotation of the windage or elevation is 120 clicks. Why hasn't anyone released an optic with turrets with 100 clicks per full turn. It would make translating a baliistic table calculation trivial.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:24 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Edit: Okay, maybe they stepped their game up.

No, they can't be trusted. Buying the sizzle, not the steak.
Rebranded Chinese something or other. Like Walther, but not to that extreme.
Many major brands dumped their accessory divisions for $$ due to the value of the brand name.

I have a SIG 3x AR optic, looks like NC Star garbage at 4x the price.

Last edited by Guntrader on Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
No, they can't be trusted. Buying the sizzle, not the steak.
Rebranded Chinese something or other. Like Walther, but not to that extreme.
Many major brands dumped their accessory divisions for $$ due to the value of the brand name.

I have a SIG 3x AR optic, looks like NC Star garbage at 4x the price.

Good info.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't speak for the glass, but several of the dots are manufactured by Holosun. Cheap and Chinese, but they seem to be standing their ground. I'd take my HS515 over my Eotech EXPS. Smaller profile, same reticle, and a battery life I don't need to pay attention to.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't speak for their scopes because I don't have any. However, I do have several of the ROMEO5 red dots. They're really solid, and a great value. The dot is crisp - something I can't say for my other comparably-priced red dots. Battery life is great, and they hold zero. Are they cheap Chinese-made optics? Sure, but does that matter if they're solid? Not everything the Chinese make is garbage (and, conversely, not everything made in USA is top notch).

Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
I can't speak for their scopes because I don't have any. However, I do have several of the ROMEO5 red dots. They're really solid, and a great value. The dot is crisp - something I can't say for my other comparably-priced red dots. Battery life is great, and they hold zero. Are they cheap Chinese-made optics? Sure, but does that matter if they're solid? Not everything the Chinese make is garbage (and, conversely, not everything made in USA is top notch).

I think ONE of the SIG optics is US made. Ask the Canadian kid (MyNameIs1040) He's up on that stuff and has that particular model. It's the one the fBI uses IIRC.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When they first came out, I got a Sig Whiskey3 4-12X for my .17HMR gopher getter. It does the job. The glass is bright and it holds up to constant beating all day long on my SxS ATV. I think at the time I bought mine they were being assembled in the Philippines. This is definitely a budget class scope but works well for my purposes.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:41 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Guns4Liberty wrote:

Agreed 100%. I don’t own any of the Romeo dots but I’ve shot with them and they are very clean dots even at higher brightness settings.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:15 pm

I run about 4 romeo 5s currently including my HD rifle. I was also a bit skeptical at first. The first one I had broke the second time out when going to re-zero, it just wouldn't turn on. Sig sent me another one right away. I put the second one through the paces and they hold up very well.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only glass I have from them is a kilo 2200 rangefinder

It's extremely fast and accurate

Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not a fan. I have a romeo 4 that has gone back for warranty, I have the romeo 1 on my P320 that will not fit on my new legion. I have a tango 4 for sale because its like a microscopic hair for a reticle for FFP. I wont own anymore. And besides that, I had their rep at trigger con lie to my face and tell me they are all made in america with Japanese glass.

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:46 pm

Anyone have any experience with the Romeo zero yet? Looking for something for my PPS. All the micro red dots are $300 plus and only very few options.

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raks wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the Romeo zero yet? Looking for something for my PPS. All the micro red dots are $300 plus and only very few options.

Tried Holosun? Sage dynamics did some testing with the 507c, and it's pretty skookum. You can find it for $280 or less pretty regularly. PSA has the green dot version for $250 with free shipping. HS407c is a bit less, same thing but it's dot only, no circle or circle-dot. From what I've watched of micro red dot stuff, I wouldn't buy anything except RMR's and Holosuns.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:12 pm

My only experience is with Romeo 5 red dots and they are good to go. They are made by Holosun which I also have many of and are my preferred red dot.

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next