Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:56 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Adjustable Gas Blocks 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, not butt plugs...

Did a thorough cleaning of a couple ARs today. One has an upper from DSG, 10.5" 5.56. It came with an adjustable gas block that I've never really messed with. There's a set screw on the side for adjustment. Today I took the light off that side and noticed that the set screw was halfway out. Hmm. Screwed it back in and backed off a few turns. There's no tension to keep it from moving again though. Maybe loctite would work? Once it heats up it would probably move again. I think it was the cheapest thing DSG could find. Not sure why they even bothered

The other AR is an 8.5" 300blk that I only run suppressed. It's always been slightly over gassed. I tried an H buffer but it runs better with a standard buffer. Just need a little decrease in gas

So both could use a better adjustable gas block

What do you guys have, like, don't like?

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good topic. Inquiring minds want to know. Following...

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used the Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Block on several AR's, some run suppressed all the time, some are never suppressed.
Lightweight, fits great, and the adjustment has never varied.
Usually shows up at or near the top of every "Best of" type poll / article I come across.
Findable at most AR goodies store.

https://suparms.com/collections/adjustable-gas-blocks-direct-impingement

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have tried four different adjustable gas blocks. Here are my experiences - YMMV:

- Radical Firearms: This was my first, and I'm pretty sure I only paid $20 for it, so my expectations were low. To my surprise, it performed well for hundreds of rounds (16" 5.56 carbine length), including bump fire mag dumps, before I sold that upper.

- Odin Works (Adjustable): I generally regard their products as high quality, but unfortunately this gas block blew up on me (cracked in half). It was on a 10.5" 5.56 pistol length, and I was bump firing. Only after contacting Odin Works did I realize it wasn't rated for that (they have a disclaimer on their website, but the seller I bought from didn't have that info on the listing). They replaced it anyway, but with their Tunable version.

- Odin Works (Tunable): This is slightly different than an adjustable in that you set it where you want it and then lock in the setting; it is not easily changed. Unfortunately, this one also split in half (they told me it shouldn't) under the same conditions on the same gun. They replaced it again with another Tunable, which I now have on a 7.5" pistol length .300 BLK (suppressed). About 500 rds and so far, so good.

- Seekins Precision: hundreds of rounds on a midlength 5.56, which is sometimes suppressed. Really nice...I think I like this one the best.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i have an odin works and a superlative arms.

take my advice and don't use the superlative arms in a short barrel....that gas that ports out the front can get you. i made the mistake of c-clamping my suppressed 7.5" ar and paid for it. outside of that, it's actually my preferred adj gas block. longevity wise, i'll let you know after i hit 5k rounds, but up to 2k rounds, no issues so far.

i like the odin works i have, but haven't run into the issues with guns4liberty because...well, i don't bumpfire my guns *what is wrong with me? LOL* it's held up on an ar i have that i run suppressed and i have it on a setting that will run fine suppressed and unsuppressed.

between the two, i favor the superlative arms, even if it makes things a touch dirtier because of how smooth everything operates.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the input guys

The gas venting out the front of the SA block would be an issue. With a pistol length gas system and a can in front of it inside a rail I imagine gas would be shooting out everywhere

Hadn't looked at Odin Works. I have a few things from them and they're well made. I like the idea of the tunable block. Since I don't change ammo or shoot without the can that would be the way to go. The adjustable says it can't be used with pistol length gas systems, which the 300nlk is

Guns4Liberty wrote:
- Seekins Precision: hundreds of rounds on a midlength 5.56, which is sometimes suppressed. Really nice...I think I like this one the best.

That has a set screw on the side like the one I have now. Have you had any issues with it backing out? ETA- nevermind, I see that it has a set screw to lock it in once adjusted

ETAA- Wow, I'm an idiot. Looks like my 10.5" upper already has the Seekins gas block. It came complete with no instructions so I didn't look at it closely. Looks like the set screw to lock it down is missing. If I'm reading their description right it's a brass set screw

Last edited by RocketScott on Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Hadn't looked at Odin Works. I have a few things from them and they're well made. I like the idea of the tunable block. Since I don't change ammo or shoot without the can that would be the way to go. The adjustable says it can't be used with pistol length gas systems, which the 300nlk is.

The problem I see with their adjustable block is it just isn't thick enough in the critical points, so it's really a design flaw. I posted some photos in my Odin Works review thread that I think help illustrate what I mean by "too thin". But the tunable block they sent me as a replacement ended up having the exact same critical failure, despite the fact that they told me it should be fine, so who knows.

RocketScott wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:

That has a set screw on the side like the one I have now. Have you had any issues with it backing out?

No issues with it backing out. I actually checked it the other day because I am a little paranoid about it after my experiences with the Odin Works blocks. Seems to be holding up great.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
ETAA- Wow, I'm an idiot. Looks like my 10.5" upper already has the Seekins gas block. It came complete with no instructions so I didn't look at it closely. Looks like the set screw to lock it down is missing. If I'm reading their description right it's a brass set screw

The Seekins block is good stuff.

Tip - drop a single piece of lead shot (like #7.5 or #8) in the hole before re-installing the locking set screw. It'll hold better while still allowing some freedom for adjustment. (This works really well with reloading die set screws too, but use 2-3 pieces of shot.) Also with the lead shot, you can use a steel set screw, available from a good hardware store or someplace like McMaster Carr. (I think it's either #6-40 or #4-40, but all of mine are hidden under handguards at the moment.)

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nemo Omen 300wm.
Adjustable with positive spring detents.
Simple turn of the knob and that's it.
Don't like how hard the bcg is hitting, brass flying too high or has a suppressor, adjust it to need without set screws or fiddling with shit.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]