Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Bolt guns. What are the good ones? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pvanderzee wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
Outstanding post bubblewhip!

Indeed, and I agree on all points, but I now see that I need to clarify one thing.

I'm not looking for a precision rifle, necessarily. Like, it isn't going to be a bench rest gun. Any rifle I buy nowadays will likely be more accurate than I am, particularly if it's a reputable brand. So, match triggers are a secondary consideration, as are heavy barrels. I don't know a ton about bolt guns, but I know that barrel manufacturing has improved to the point that you don't need a heavy profile barrel to get good consistency when you're just shooting a handful of rounds at a slow pace. I'd rather save the weight.

My big asks are a shorter, threaded barrel, so it's less cumbersome with a suppressor attached, and what some would call a tacticool stock, or some aftermarket options for such. The more "tactical" stocks have just been more comfortable for me. Lighter is better, but I'm not picky.

So from what I've gathered so far, the 700 is still a good option, but it's kind of hard to go wrong any more with the brands I fired off.

Any other input is appreciated, as is what's been offered so far.

There are some great suggestions above, but when i read what you want the Rifle for the Remington 700 SPS will do what you want for Hunting or precision shooting for around 700 bucks.
Sub MOA out of the box, and easily and inexpensively upgraded if you want to go that route. The Muzzle is threaded, 5R rifling and a decent stock out of the box.
Worthy of consideration.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Savage tactical. Has the accutrigger and a customizable stock and nice 24” barrel for under $600. 6.5 creedmoor or .308...
I was a Remington guy forever but now I prefer my savage 110 stealth and my savage ultralight both I 6.5... LIGHTS OUT!!!

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

farfrompar28 wrote:
Savage tactical. Has the accutrigger and a customizable stock and nice 24” barrel for under $600. 6.5 creedmoor or .308...
I was a Remington guy forever but now I prefer my savage 110 stealth and my savage ultralight both I 6.5... LIGHTS OUT!!!

The OP wants a 20" or less barrel. The 6.5 option is nice, but ammo costs aren't worth the added expense for Hunting or Tactical shooting and he wants a Platform that will do both.
You can't go wrong with .308 for both applications, and the ammo will always be around in hunting or Tactical applications.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:36 pm
FFL / Dealer

Liddlebit81 wrote:
My vote is on Tikka t3x.

This! The accuracy is outstanding for an off the shelf, production gun.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:09 pm
FFL / Dealer

usrifle wrote:
Pvanderzee wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

Indeed, and I agree on all points, but I now see that I need to clarify one thing.

I'm not looking for a precision rifle, necessarily. Like, it isn't going to be a bench rest gun. Any rifle I buy nowadays will likely be more accurate than I am, particularly if it's a reputable brand. So, match triggers are a secondary consideration, as are heavy barrels. I don't know a ton about bolt guns, but I know that barrel manufacturing has improved to the point that you don't need a heavy profile barrel to get good consistency when you're just shooting a handful of rounds at a slow pace. I'd rather save the weight.

My big asks are a shorter, threaded barrel, so it's less cumbersome with a suppressor attached, and what some would call a tacticool stock, or some aftermarket options for such. The more "tactical" stocks have just been more comfortable for me. Lighter is better, but I'm not picky.

So from what I've gathered so far, the 700 is still a good option, but it's kind of hard to go wrong any more with the brands I fired off.

There are some great suggestions above, but when i read what you want the Rifle for the Remington 700 SPS will do what you want for Hunting or precision shooting for around 700 bucks.
Sub MOA out of the box, and easily and inexpensively upgraded if you want to go that route. The Muzzle is threaded, 5R rifling and a decent stock out of the box.
Worthy of consideration.

Remington quality control has been non-existent for a while now, ever since Freedom Group bought them out. My 2011 Remington 700 AAC-SD, even with a new Manners stock bedded with Acraglas and USO SN3 scope on Seekins rings, managed to shoot 4-5 MOA yesterday at the range. The side adjustment knob on the scope was turned so far max to the right but the gun still shot far left. I suspect the bore axis of the barrel is way off center. I'll replace the scope with a cheaper one and make this rifle my truck/trunk gun. No more Remington products for me.

Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tikka and Sako...if you can afford them

Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:32 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Sinus211 wrote:
I decided to go with a Bergara b-14 hmr in 6.5 creedmoor. At $850 it provide you with a chassis that has integrated bottom metal for detachable mags, length of pull spacers and a cheek riser. The medium profile barrel is already threaded and it has and oversized bolt handle already. Adjustable trigger. Most of the things you’d want to upgrade and they’re already done.

Check out Bergara, I think you’ll be impressed.

You didn't include how nice it is to shoot. It left a lasting impression on me.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what I've read online, the Savage 110s, especially the tactical model, are a pretty much the best bang for your buck, although a bit on the heavy side and perhaps longer than you're wanting.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:31 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

dreadi wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
I decided to go with a Bergara b-14 hmr in 6.5 creedmoor. At $850 it provide you with a chassis that has integrated bottom metal for detachable mags, length of pull spacers and a cheek riser. The medium profile barrel is already threaded and it has and oversized bolt handle already. Adjustable trigger. Most of the things you’d want to upgrade and they’re already done.

Don’t think I had my 30cal suppressor at that point. If you liked it before you’ll love shooting it suppressed! Let’s go rifle shooting one of these days!

Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:49 pm

Sinus211 wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

Don’t think I had my 30cal suppressor at that point. If you liked it before you’ll love shooting it suppressed! Let’s go rifle shooting one of these days!

There's an ammo and components shortage, I have to conserve my ammo for hunting. At my kill rate, I will never run out of ammo. :crybaby:

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

dreadi wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

There's an ammo and components shortage, I have to conserve my ammo for hunting. At my kill rate, I will never run out of ammo. :crybaby:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Highway wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Pvanderzee wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

Worthy of consideration.

Remington quality control has been non-existent for a while now, ever since Freedom Group bought them out. My 2011 Remington 700 AAC-SD, even with a new Manners stock bedded with Acraglas and USO SN3 scope on Seekins rings, managed to shoot 4-5 MOA yesterday at the range. The side adjustment knob on the scope was turned so far max to the right but the gun still shot far left. I suspect the bore axis of the barrel is way off center. I'll replace the scope with a cheaper one and make this rifle my truck/trunk gun. No more Remington products for me.

Well Damn, i'm sorry to hear that. I bought my Remington 700 5R at least 10 years ago and it is a sub 1/2 MOA shooter all day long after i put it in a chassis.
Have you talked to Remington about your Rifle? I would hope that is a fluke and not the norm, i haven't heard that about the 700 SPS Tactical before.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:45 pm
FFL / Dealer

usrifle wrote:
Highway wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Pvanderzee wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

Worthy of consideration.

Well Damn, i'm sorry to hear that. I bought my Remington 700 5R at least 10 years ago and it is a sub 1/2 MOA shooter all day long after i put it in a chassis.
Have you talked to Remington about your Rifle? I would hope that is a fluke and not the norm, i haven't heard that about the 700 SPS Tactical before.

No, I haven't spoken to Remington about it. I doubt they would do anything as they don't guarantee accuracy. I bought it years ago on a whim because it was one of the 1st factory rifles that came pre-threaded for silencers, at a time when I got my first 30 cal can. After throwing a few hundred $ at it years ago, I've given up on it as far as accuracy is concerned. There are so many better options out there now.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn....again, sorry to hear that. 4-5 MOA from that Rifle is absurd, there is something seriously wrong with it. I'm sure you have probably looked at the Stock fit and barrel channel, but something is just clearly wrong with it.
This review is from Sniper Central in April 2020, and while i have no personal experience with a 700 SPS i sure would be looking at your Rifles issues as being more of a fluke than the norm.
https://www.snipercentral.com/remington-sps-tactical/
Either way, i hope you figure out what the issue is with it. That's just not right.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:46 pm

I like Savage rifles. The MKII in 22lr can be had with a threaded muzzle. Their 10/110, 11/111, 12/112 series can be had in calibers from 223 to 338 Lapua magnum. These barrels are held on and head spaced with a barrel nut. All it take is vise blocks and an action wrench to remove it for profiling or replacement with another barrel. You could buy a used one cheap then get the barrel you want on ebay or made by a gunsmith like Pac-Nor.

Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next