Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mash man wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
Dayummm, glad you’re ok. Scary shit!!!

Thank you. Yes it was. I almost shot my M1

That would have been a major bummer. icon_eek

Pvanderzee wrote:
Well, for starters, at least you had the gun pointed in the right direction and nobody got hurt. Except your ears, anyway.

And if you're finger was truly off the trigger, you've got a serious mechanical problem.

The good news is that Glocks are simple.

Grab yourself an armorers rear plate. It's got some holes in it so you can observe the innards. My first thought is poor engagement between the striker and trigger bar. The shelf on the trigger housing should keep the trigger bar from dropping a significant distance, so if the bar isn't dropping, and the striker is being released anyway, then my thought is that the striker had shit engagement. The problem with that whole theory, though, is that a half-cocked striker shouldn't have enough energy to light off a round if the striker slips off the trigger bar while the gun is condition zero. That's the whole fucking point of the Glock's trigger and striker design. Maybe you beating the slide into battery adds enough energy to the formula to cook one off, but it seems screwy.

So...

Take a look at the slide. Is the striker stuck in the forward position, protruding from the breach face? This is an aftermarket slide, and it may have bad dimensions. If the striker is stuck forward, there you go. One good whack to force the slide into battery, and you've got an open-bolt Glock. May also explain the slide getting stuck, the striker is trying to catch on the trigger bar before it's actually supposed to.

Personally, I lean more towards something with the slide.

Thank you I will look at that better tomorrow it wasn't such in the slide when I checked it before or after.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by Caveman Jim on Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:06 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll be the odd man out here and still say it was an ND.. You had a firearm with a known problem that you continued to trust. At the range the firearm AD'd. That's the only AD you get. Anything after that is a ND. Proper procedure would have been a complete tear down and function test with snap caps before attempting to load a firearm that couldn't be trusted.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:popcorn:

Well, when I looked around all I saw was a pimp with a shiny pair of shoes and a '49 Mercury!

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Meh...
Just sell it on Craigslist.

JK

Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just curious how many rounds you put through it at the range? Was it just the one mag or did you put multiple through?

Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:11 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Hard to say this was an AD given the amount of changes you made to that gun. Some would say that unless it came from the factory like that, then you are the provider of warranty or guarantee that the firearm will not go "off" without pulling the trigger.

I had a guy replace the trigger in an AR, for some reason the the "semi" auto trigger fired full auto even after releasing the trigger. Was that the back street gunsmiths fault, the trigger manufactures fault or the firearms manufactures fault? I would say put the ownership on the back street gun smith.

I'm not trying to give you shit, but it is my opinion, everyone doing the 80% builds are the sole owner of the warranty or guarantee that the firearm performs in a "safe" manner.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
I'm not trying to give you shit, but it is my opinion, everyone doing the 80% builds are the sole owner of the warranty or guarantee that the firearm performs in a "safe" manner.

This 100%.
IMO assembling the Frankenglock without knowing fully what you're doing and how to verify safe and consistent operation was negligent action #1. And yeah, a lot of gun owners are guilty of this the last few years since 80% frames became a fad. It's scary, and part of the reason why your (or anyone's) $900 collection of aftermarket parts isn't worth as much as a stock Glock, functionally or monetarily.

Negligent action #2 was trying to force the mag in the gun and then force the slide back and forth. If something isn't right, stop and fix it instead of beating on it. Firearms are machinery, and when operating them we have to be smarter than some caveman beating two rocks together.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:31 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Massivedesign wrote:
I'll be the odd man out here and still say it was an ND.. You had a firearm with a known problem that you continued to trust. At the range the firearm AD'd. That's the only AD you get. Anything after that is a ND. Proper procedure would have been a complete tear down and function test with snap caps before attempting to load a firearm that couldn't be trusted.

100% agreed.
Bottom line is you got lucky with an ND.

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:51 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Yondering wrote:
BadKarma wrote:

This 100%.
IMO assembling the Frankenglock without knowing fully what you're doing and how to verify safe and consistent operation was negligent action #1. And yeah, a lot of gun owners are guilty of this the last few years since 80% frames became a fad. It's scary, and part of the reason why your (or anyone's) $900 collection of aftermarket parts isn't worth as much as a stock Glock, functionally or monetarily.

Negligent action #2 was trying to force the mag in the gun and then force the slide back and forth. If something isn't right, stop and fix it instead of beating on it. Firearms are machinery, and when operating them we have to be smarter than some caveman beating two rocks together.

And to be fair, I'm guilty of swapping triggers, connectors, etc... So this situation could 100% happen to me too. And I've loaded guns as I was at my safe and put them in a holster loaded.

This just bit Michael and not me or anyone else(that has spoken up). So it is a good lesson for us all. Even as safe as we think we are, we are not.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
Yondering wrote:
BadKarma wrote:

This 100%.

And to be fair, I'm guilty of swapping triggers, connectors, etc... So this situation could 100% happen to me too. And I've loaded guns as I was at my safe and put them in a holster loaded.

This just bit Michael and not me or anyone else(that has spoken up). So it is a good lesson for us all. Even as safe as we think we are, we are not.

To be clear, I'm not saying don't swap parts and work on your guns; I do, a LOT, on almost all of mine including my carry gun when appropriate.

What I am saying is if you do that, make sure you know what you're doing and how to verify that it works correctly. Some guys are pretty mechanically inclined and pick this stuff up fast, but it takes a lot more work/study/learning for other guys. No shame in that, just know your limits.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raise you hand if you don't have any aftermarket parts on any guns it's cool i will wait. Always get hate from the perfect people or is it the ones that don't speak up after something has gone wrong?

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:23 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

mash man wrote:
Raise you hand if you don't have any aftermarket parts on any guns it's cool i will wait. Always get hate from the perfect people or is it the ones that don't speak up after something has gone wrong?

I have aftermarket parts on guns. I’ve fucked up. Recently. I loaded some 10mm way too hot and got lucky to not blow up a gun. I blew up a gun last year getting in a hurry and not identifying a squib. I’ve made mistakes, and owned up to them.

It’s not that anyone else is perfect. It’s that you made a mistake trying to force something, and are insistent that it was no fault of your own.

I think if you’d slowed down and identified the warning signs, this might have never happened.

And isn’t that the lesson we all need to be reminded of? Slow down. We’re dealing with tens of thousands of psi of pressure and projectiles that can have life changing consequences.

Maybe instead of trying so hard to write this off as a “AD” take a moment to consider how you could have avoided this altogether.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:23 pm

Sinus211 wrote:
You take it back to square and 1 and find out why that firing pin is sticking

You realize that if you had an unexpected discharge at the range under these same conditions, that a discharge at your home was negligent., not accidental. Because you replicated the range conditions and it happened again. Surprise surprise.

You take that pistol to a good gunsmith. We all like to play gun builder with these 80%ers but realistically,
We are out of our depths and these situations are perfect illustrators of that issue.

THIS. We have all madde stupid mistakes, this was one of them

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
mash man wrote:

I have aftermarket parts on guns. I’ve fucked up. Recently. I loaded some 10mm way too hot and got lucky to not blow up a gun. I blew up a gun last year getting in a hurry and not identifying a squib. I’ve made mistakes, and owned up to them.

It’s not that anyone else is perfect. It’s that you made a mistake trying to force something, and are insistent that it was no fault of your own.

I think if you’d slowed down and identified the warning signs, this might have never happened.

And isn’t that the lesson we all need to be reminded of? Slow down. We’re dealing with tens of thousands of psi of pressure and projectiles that can have life changing consequences.

Maybe instead of trying so hard to write this off as a “AD” take a moment to consider how you could have avoided this altogether.

Yup a mag that is having trouble seating is going to cause this sure that's it. Or maybe a failure to feed right after a mag isn't seating right would make someone think hey this will probably go boom when the slide does go. Sure you are 100% correct and I am the idiot for missing those obvious signs.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As long as things worked out OK, Hope the ringing has gone away.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next