Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 I had an actual AD today 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

mash man wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
mash man wrote:
Raise you hand if you don't have any aftermarket parts on any guns it's cool i will wait. Always get hate from the perfect people or is it the ones that don't speak up after something has gone wrong?

I have aftermarket parts on guns. I’ve fucked up. Recently. I loaded some 10mm way too hot and got lucky to not blow up a gun. I blew up a gun last year getting in a hurry and not identifying a squib. I’ve made mistakes, and owned up to them.

It’s not that anyone else is perfect. It’s that you made a mistake trying to force something, and are insistent that it was no fault of your own.

I think if you’d slowed down and identified the warning signs, this might have never happened.

And isn’t that the lesson we all need to be reminded of? Slow down. We’re dealing with tens of thousands of psi of pressure and projectiles that can have life changing consequences.

Maybe instead of trying so hard to write this off as a “AD” take a moment to consider how you could have avoided this altogether.

Yup a mag that is having trouble seating is going to cause this sure that's it. Or maybe a failure to feed right after a mag isn't seating right would make someone think hey this will probably go boom when the slide does go. Sure you are 100% correct and I am the idiot for missing those obvious signs.

Alright man. Here’s how I see it:

I forced the mag in at the range. The gun failed to feed so I pushed it into battery. The gun went off.

I forced the mag in at home. The gun failed to feed so I pushed it into battery. The gun went off. WTH? AD!?!? Not my fault!

I’ll reiterate what I said before. You replicated the range circumstances and got the same results. You’re not an idiot, you’re human. Humans make mistakes. AD? No, in my opinion it was avoidable making it negligent.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
mash man wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
mash man wrote:
Raise you hand if you don't have any aftermarket parts on any guns it's cool i will wait. Always get hate from the perfect people or is it the ones that don't speak up after something has gone wrong?

I have aftermarket parts on guns. I’ve fucked up. Recently. I loaded some 10mm way too hot and got lucky to not blow up a gun. I blew up a gun last year getting in a hurry and not identifying a squib. I’ve made mistakes, and owned up to them.

It’s not that anyone else is perfect. It’s that you made a mistake trying to force something, and are insistent that it was no fault of your own.

I think if you’d slowed down and identified the warning signs, this might have never happened.

And isn’t that the lesson we all need to be reminded of? Slow down. We’re dealing with tens of thousands of psi of pressure and projectiles that can have life changing consequences.

Maybe instead of trying so hard to write this off as a “AD” take a moment to consider how you could have avoided this altogether.

Yup a mag that is having trouble seating is going to cause this sure that's it. Or maybe a failure to feed right after a mag isn't seating right would make someone think hey this will probably go boom when the slide does go. Sure you are 100% correct and I am the idiot for missing those obvious signs.

Alright man. Here’s how I see it:

I forced the mag in at the range. The gun failed to feed so I pushed it into battery. The gun went off.

I forced the mag in at home. The gun failed to feed so I pushed it into battery. The gun went off. WTH? AD!?!? Not my fault!

I’ll reiterate what I said before. You replicated the range circumstances and got the same results. You’re not an idiot, you’re human. Humans make mistakes. AD? No, in my opinion it was avoidable making it negligent.

I had already shit canned the mag that wouldn't seat no reason to keep a bad mag. The mag that I put in at home went in just fine no problems.

I was convinced that my training had failed me and that I must've pulled the trigger at the range this wasn't the first time shooting this pistol (yes first time in this reciver) but 100% of the parts were from the same weapon (other than the receiver).

Of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of times I have had a faulty feed or ejection i have never ever had one go boom when the slide has finally gone home. Has it happened to you before?

I made sure my finger was no where near the trigger when I pushed it into battery.

Tomorrow I am getting my hands on a 100% factory gun and swapping out parts so I can isolat the issue and figure out what failed and what I need to fix it.

Have a good night.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

danoh wrote:
As long as things worked out OK, Hope the ringing has gone away.

Yes sir it has thank you for asking however I now need a new bottle of whiskey as mine seems to have fully been consumed shortly after this happened.

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm glad your ok brother, and i'm sure you won't do that again. Mistakes were made, a lesson was learned and nobody got hurt.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
I'm glad your ok brother, and i'm sure you won't do that again. Mistakes were made, a lesson was learned and nobody got hurt.

True that. Thank you.

When its time to go in:

Author unknown.

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:28 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mashie, I know you're taking a little heat here . . . kinda the norm whenever we have an AD/ND thread. I give you kudos for making the thread, though, because it takes big balls to admit it publicly when something like this happens.

But when you do, we ALL hopefully learn a little something. I know that when things go wrong with a gun, many of us have a tendency to just wham-bam try to keep it going. Maybe we'll all just skip a beat next time it happens, and make sure that we're doing the right thing.

I know you said you're going to get a factory gun and start swapping parts. That's good.

Pvanderzee provided some really good input at the beginning of this thread, including the part about getting an armorer's plate. Do you have one of those, or did you order one? They make a big difference in allowing you to see what's going on inside.

Marine Gun Builder has a good video on the various Glock safety checks, including use of the armorer's back plate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8is-1Vq-Bq8

Post up if we can help.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Mashie, I know you're taking a little heat here . . . kinda the norm whenever we have an AD/ND thread. I give you kudos for making the thread, though, because it takes big balls to admit it publicly when something like this happens.

But when you do, we ALL hopefully learn a little something. I know that when things go wrong with a gun, many of us have a tendency to just wham-bam try to keep it going. Maybe we'll all just skip a beat next time it happens, and make sure that we're doing the right thing.

I know you said you're going to get a factory gun and start swapping parts. That's good.

Pvanderzee provided some really good input at the beginning of this thread, including the part about getting an armorer's plate. Do you have one of those, or did you order one? They make a big difference in allowing you to see what's going on inside.

Marine Gun Builder has a good video on the various Glock safety checks, including use of the armorer's back plate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8is-1Vq-Bq8

Post up if we can help.

This!

Not like you had your fingie on the hookie thingie. And not like you technically violated any of the 4 rules, right?

Be friggen careful with gun mods. Rule #6.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glock store firing pin spring vs a factory

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

When its time to go in:

Author unknown.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:44 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

^ Which is which? Is the factory the long one?

I don't think that would affect safety. There are a lot of different striker spring weights . . . lots of lighter springs, because it makes the trigger pull so much nicer. However, I've had reliability issues with the lighter springs, so I usually just stick with factory striker springs now.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

I don't think that would affect safety. There are a lot of different striker spring weights . . . lots of lighter springs, because it makes the trigger pull so much nicer. However, I've had reliability issues with the lighter springs, so I usually just stick with factory striker springs now.

The shorter one is the one that wasn't strong enough to hold the firing pin back. So it got changed out and I also went with a factory trigger.

When its time to go in:

Author unknown.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:32 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

mash man wrote:
The shorter one is the one that wasn't strong enough to hold the firing pin back. So it got changed out and I also went with a factory trigger.

Are you saying that you think a weak spring allowed the firing pin to go forward when you closed the slide, which is what caused the gun to fire?

That doesn't sound right to me. There is a firing pin safety in the slide that won't allow the firing pin to go forward unless the trigger is pulled, if it's working correctly.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since it only occurred while loading there is something to consider. Is there anything different from initial loading and when it reloads from the recoil of a round going off? If it was just a weak spring causing it I would think it would have fired a second round at some point.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eagle Chaplain wrote:
Since it only occurred while loading there is something to consider. Is there anything different from initial loading and when it reloads from the recoil of a round going off? If it was just a weak spring causing it I would think it would have fired a second round at some point.

Idk but I traded out the trigger as well.

When its time to go in:

Author unknown.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mash man wrote:
MadPick wrote:

See, this is the kind of thing I was talking about, where you need to understand how things work and what each part does before you make modifications. That firing pin spring is actually a striker spring, and it does the opposite of what you think it does. It doesn't hold the striker back, it provides the force to set off the primer.

You can't diagnose the problem until you understand how it works.

Also it's completely normal for lighter aftermarket striker springs to be shorter than the factory silver spring. That's not a defect, but beware that lighter striker springs can be a recipe for failures to fire.
Some heavier aftermarket springs are longer than stock too, which makes sense when you understand how springs work.

As for the ND incident, I would suggest you look for any signs of the striker sticking forward in the slide. That may have been the cause of the failure to feed as well; the striker protruding from the breech face gets in the way of the case head as it slides up the face. If the striker was stuck forward, it makes sense that slamming the slide closed caused it to go off; that's how open bolt guns work too.
The only other way I can see this happening is if you used a trigger that eliminated all pre-travel (defeating most of the internal safeties), and somehow closing the slide tripped the trigger.

You may think I was just giving you heat earlier; I wasn't, it's meant to be instructional. I do a lot with Glocks and other pistols, both stock and modified, and am happy to explain anything you want about how they work and talk about useful modifications too.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:48 pm

Thanks for posting the thread! I think the most important thing here is to come to understand exactly what happened and why it happened.

I hope you don't monkey with the Glock trying to fix it! Instead, investigate the reason why is discharged. I think you should perhaps call Glock CS and get them involved as well.

Knowing WHY this happened, and what to look for, can help everyone. How and why did the mechanical failure occur, how could it have been detected on inspection, and so on. If it's happening to others Glock may also want to tweak the design of something.

This AD/ND took multiple failures to occur. The first is a mechanical failure of some kind that should be better understood.

The second was an incorrect reaction to an unexplained event--you took for granted you knew what happened, but didn't really know what happened. Hopefully we all learn from this: when a gun does something unexpected, and unless you're in a life and death situation, or maybe drilling for one, stop what you are doing until you figure out what happened.

Fortunately a third thing didn't go wrong, clearly you had control of the muzzle direction so no one was hurt, and that's something that went right! Highlights why at all times it's important to keep a gun pointed in a safe direction. Your family and your neighbors certainly thank you for that best practice!

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next