Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Edogg is now Florida Man 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

acidfly wrote:
edogg wrote:
All in due time. I just ordered some flip flops as my first step in my transformation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget the pit vipers.
Yes, I’m avoiding anything that looks comfy to critters with large teeth. And I’m also keeping my kids away from those kinds of things too.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a thought edogg. Much into saltwater fishing at all? Florida is well known for outstanding fisheries. Speckled trout, redfish, black drum, and tarpon inshore and farther offshore in the Atlantic or the Gulf there is marlin, blackfin tuna, yellowfin tuna, wahoo, mahi-mahi, etc.

Also Florida is a hop and a skip from various Caribbean hotspots: Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Dominican Republic, the list goes on. Puerto Rico in particular recently liberalized it's concealed carry laws and I believe has reciprocity with many states on the mainland. So last time I checked it's possible to bring your carry gun with you there which is different than the other Caribbean islands and even Hawaii.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took my wife to Florida couple years ago to visit my uncle. She was born and raised in the PNW, never left. First night eating dinner, my wife asks “Sooo do you guys ever take the kids swimming in the big lake we passed”? The look of sheer confusion his face was classic.

St Augustine area is awesome and I would move there if I could work remote. Also I’m sure I have mentioned this in ever Florida thread but if your kids are strong swimmers take them to Discovery Cove.

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats, Edogg. The summers there are a tough adjustment, but you’ll get used to it. If you’re in the Orlando area, you’re about equidistant from both Tampa and a the space coast if you want to get out on the water. I lived in both and prefer Brevard county. Cocoa beach is/was my favorite. I used to drag my wife out there most weekends. East coast > west coast Florida, imo. The traffic there can be interesting, but mostly, they suffer the same problem we do here: lots of immigrants from places with completely different driving laws. If you spent a lot of time on I-5, you’ll be fine on I-4.

But do be sure to take 528 east and zip on over to Cocoa Beach with the family once or twice. Oh, and the cops in Cocoa do not fuck around. If you’re on A1A, doing a mile over the posted limit will get you pulled over. Just FYI.

As far as leaving Washington, I totally get it. My wife and I moved out here in the summer of 2010 from Cocoa Beach and immediately fell in love with the area. This is the most temperate place I’ve ever lived, and I’ve lived all over this country. I love the countryside, mountains and beaches. But the politics here suck in a way I don’t need to explain, and it’s getting worse. We have a seven year old son now, and I feel like the trade-off we’ve been presented with is stay for the weather and the scenery, but sacrifice our son to far leftist indoctrination. I’m unwilling to make that trade. We’re looking to try to move back. I make ok money, but my wife is the bread winner and trying to get something lined up at Kennedy, so if that pans out, we’re out of here.

All that is to say I wish you the very best of luck in your new home. Lay in provisions for hurricanes, learn to love AC, keep your guns oiled (shit loooooves to rust there), and enjoy the sunshine. You’re not going to love everything there, but there is a lot to love.

Oh, and as for flip-flops, I recommend taking a look at Reefs for a decent starting point! :bigsmile:

Sun May 23, 2021 6:14 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Smudge wrote:
I recommend taking a look at Reefs for a decent starting point! :bigsmile:

Reefs? Dude, this is the modern age. Reef's are the walmart of flippy floppies. OluKai is the only way to go... :bigsmile:

Sun May 23, 2021 6:53 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info! Still loving it here but the summer is starting next week (temp is gonna go from mid 80s to mid 90s). I just bought some insulation for my garage door in the hopes that will keep it a little cooler. The weather hasn’t been very humid lately so they’re saying that means we’ll have a tough hurricane season. So I’m trying to make sure preps are in line so that I don’t have to rush out when they say one is coming. Living in earthquake country for my entire life has helped me be ready for disasters, so hopefully we’ll be good.

Tons of gun shops around here. There are like 5 in a 10 minute radius plus 2-3 pawn shops and a feed store that sells guns/ammo.

People are ridiculously friendly. To be certain, there are some asshats around. But generally, people are super friendly and helpful. Also just talked to a true southerner the other day who used “dadgum” in conversation. I’m loving the southerners…

DeSantis is fighting critical race theory (which basically teaches that white people are evil and America is terrible). Whereas Inslee just signed a bill mandating it.

Washington is definitely beautiful and the summers there are hard to beat. But when it comes to raising a family, the Seattle area is just so terrible…

Oh and I just picked up a pair of Spenco flip flops. I have bad feet so need something with good support. They’re great!

Sun May 23, 2021 9:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
The Smudge wrote:
I recommend taking a look at Reefs for a decent starting point! :bigsmile:

Reefs? Dude, this is the modern age. Reef's are the walmart of flippy floppies. OluKai is the only way to go... :bigsmile:

That’s why they work fine for Florida!
OrukHai? Never heard of ‘em! :bigsmile:

Edogg, one of the things both my wife and I miss is walking through Publix and smiling and saying hello to everyone we walked past because we’re returning the same greeting. Do that out here and people look at you like they think you’re gonna try to follow them home.

You tried gas station boiled peanuts yet? I know it sounds odd, just trust me, you gotta at least give ‘em a try.

Any direct questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I’m also wondering about hurricane season this year because we’re hoping to fly out and visit family in late summer.

Sun May 23, 2021 10:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats, best wishes... Hard to add to what's been added.

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Sun May 23, 2021 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve discovered the chicken tender sub at Publix. Toss it in Buffalo sauce and mmmmmmmmm…..

Sun May 23, 2021 2:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I lived in tha south, I lived on them dadgum boiled peanuts. Now when I visit friends and family there I’ll pass right on by em cause they give me tha shits anymore... But yeah give em a try. :ROFLMAO:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun May 23, 2021 4:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
I’ve discovered the chicken tender sub at Publix. Toss it in Buffalo sauce and mmmmmmmmm…..

I do miss the delis at Publix.

Sun May 23, 2021 4:14 pm

Florida is a nice place to be, Congrat !

Wed May 26, 2021 3:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2