Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 MPA30 Side-Folding Tailhook Brace Mod (overview + pics) 

Not long ago I picked up a MasterPiece Arms MPA30, just for the hell of it. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, there’s something about that boxy, un-ergonomic MAC platform that screams “80s action movie”, and I couldn’t resist. So, I paid my cash, got through the waiting period, and took it home. I sat there at my kitchen table, my wife and I both laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of this monstrosity, and I decided this thing needed a brace on it.

An extensive internet search brought me face to face with the reality that most brace options out there for MPAs are downright ugly. And not just a little ugly, either. The MPA is no beauty queen to begin with, but some of these "braced" MPAs make a Hi-Point look sleek. I mean... who puts an AR buffer tube on a MAC clone? Ugh. Nope.

I was not gonna put something like that in my gun safe, so I set out to find another option. It took me a lot of scrounging and scouring the internet, but I finally settled on what is probably the best-looking brace option for the MPA. I’m sure there are other MPA pistol owners out there that hate the idea of an AR buffer tube on a MAC clone as much as I do, so hopefully this helps someone else who’s looking to do something similar.

Attachment:
20211021_194117.jpg

This mod requires the following parts:
• One MasterPiece Arms Side-Folding Aluminum Stock (https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-si ... ame-9mm57/)
• One Custom Smith Manufacturing MPA Tailhook Host Adapter (https://customsmithmfg.com/shop/ols/pro ... separately)
• One Tailhook Mod1C (https://gearheadworks.com/product/tailh ... -1c-black/)

The side-folding stock took about 11 weeks to arrive because they were backordered. I’m pretty sure MPA makes them in small batches, so they sell out quickly. Once the side-folding stock arrives, you will need to cut the butt section off right before the aluminum frame starts to widen into the butt. Cutting it there will give you a ~12.75” length of pull, which is reasonably comfortable. When cutting the stock be sure to wear a face mask to avoid getting a lungful of aluminum dust.

Attachment:
20211021_161320.jpg

I’m sure I don’t have to say this, but I will anyway for the newbies out there… when you get your folding stock assembly DO NOT MOUNT IT ON THE PISTOL. You have to cut the butt off of it first. Mounting it before you cut off the butt creates an SBR, and if your firearm is not registered as an SBR, you could find yourself in a pile of legal trouble.

Once you’ve cut the stock, you can stick the Tailhook Host Adapter onto the cut section. The adapter has a retention screw hole at the bottom of it in case you want to lock it firmly into place, but I found it to be plenty snug just sticking it on and smacking it with a rubber mallet. Then you can mount the Tailhook to it – the adapter automatically aligns the brace vertically, so there is no adjustment needed. You could also use a Tailhook Mod1, but the Mod1C is smaller and looks better in my opinion.

Attachment:
20211021_193831.jpg

Once this is all done, you can mount your brace onto the weapon. MPA provides the mounting screws with the stock when you buy it new. If you find one used and it doesn’t have screws with it, MPA also can sell you the correct ones, or point you to the appropriate size at your local hardware store.

Attachment:
20211021_194047.jpg

The one downside of this brace is that when it’s folded it is a little awkward to hold. That being said, it’s something you will get used to the more you handle it – and it’s a million times better than a brace that uses an AR buffer tube.

Overall length including the muzzle device with the brace folded is 13-5/8". With brace extended, it is almost exactly 19". Height from the magazine floorplate to the top of the optic is almost exactly 13".

Attachment:
20211021_194023.jpg

Aside from the brace mod, I also wanted to mount an angled foregrip on it. Unfortunately, the MPA30 has a little tiny 2-slot rail on it, so I needed more rail to work with. I found a cheap knockoff riser mount that cantilevers out to give you 3.5” of rail (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091G ... UTF8&psc=1). This I mounted on the existing front rail to give me the length necessary for an AFG. I found that if I reverse the MPA’s original rail, this riser mount fits almost flush with the face of the receiver. It kinda reminds me of the UZI Pro’s styling... not great looking, but functional, and it works surprisingly well for such a cheap part.

As for the AFG, I was looking for one with an integrated hand stop because the support hand sits REALLY close to the barrel. Ultimately the best I could find was this AFG from Custom Smith Manufacturing (https://customsmithmfg.com/shop/ols/pro ... apc9-k-afg). They make a similar one for the UZI Pro (https://customsmithmfg.com/shop/ols/pro ... stom-smith), but I liked the straight tail on the APC9 version better.

Attachment:
20211021_193952.jpg

The prior owner of my MPA30 swapped the barrel out for a 3-lug version, so I couldn’t use the faux suppressor it came with. I ended up getting the Angstadt Arms Blastwave QD 3-Lug Blast Shield (https://angstadtarms.com/product/3-lug-blast-shield/) to protect my support hand. It looks pretty good, and it’s also shorter and a lot lighter than the original faux suppressor.

I haven’t chosen an optic for it yet – just dropped a crappy RMR knockoff on there for the sake of photos. Will probably go for some kind of micro red dot, maybe a Romeo 3. Anyway, hope someone finds this info useful. Feel free to hit me up with any questions. :wavey:

Attachment:
20211021_193924.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, awesome writeup! And yes, that brace looks really good on there. thumbsup

Yeah, I keep getting the urge to buy a pistol like that too . . . I've resisted. Thus far.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curious, why didn't you just file for a tax stamp, wait the 1 month and then use the MPA stock as is?
Cost for the two brace parts was $195.00 + shipping & tax so that's a push...

What you did looks great, regardless!

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:25 pm

Is the attachment to the rear of the pistol 1913 rail or proprietary?

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:26 pm

MadPick wrote:
Wow, awesome writeup! And yes, that brace looks really good on there. thumbsup

Yeah, I keep getting the urge to buy a pistol like that too . . . I've resisted. Thus far.

Thank, MadPick! Any time I hit the range you're welcome to come along and give it a shot.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:51 pm
Profile WWW

Isildur wrote:
Curious, why didn't you just file for a tax stamp, wait the 1 month and then use the MPA stock as is?
Cost for the two brace parts was $195.00 + shipping & tax so that's a push...

What you did looks great, regardless!

Thanks, and good question! Yeah, the cost was a little higher but I'm stubborn and was more invested in the outcome than the pricetag.

I chose the pistol route because registering it as an SBR seemed like a hassle in case I ever wanted to sell it - the pool of potential buyers would be much smaller, and I wasn't sure whether or not I would even like it enough to keep it when I was done with it. Plus a PDW like this might make a decent truck gun, so if I choose to use it for that it would be best in pistol configuration. If it were an SBR I wouldn't be able to keep it in "cruiser ready" condition (empty chamber/bolt closed/mag in) according to WA state law. (https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460)

If I were going to SBR something it would probably be one of my nicer AR pistols that I know I'll be keeping and not using for something other than home defense.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:06 pm
Profile WWW

1BallJay wrote:
Is the attachment to the rear of the pistol 1913 rail or proprietary?

It's MPA's folding stock, which is proprietary. There was a company that made 1913 endplates for them, but that product has been discontinued and I couldn't find any on the used market. I wish they still made it - this project would have been a lot easier and faster to complete.

Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]