Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1031 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 69  Next
 Garand Propaganda 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
Or just roll a bm59 and dont get garand thumb at all....LOL!!!

It's Italian, and it's not an M1A or a 30/06.....that's why.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
shaggy wrote:

it is almost all garand parts, they just built a m14 on the cheap.

Btw i'm biased i have a bm59c and bm59e kit waiting a rebuild with a breda and beretta receiver. I just need to get my projects in order

Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

True enough, although I would prefer a M14. The BM59 is, after all, a Garand.
Still, I am reluctant to give up the rate of fire advantage. I find load bearing
for ten 20 round mags of .308 a lot less comfortable than packing 25 embloc
clips. Space and mass. Am looking at converting a Springfield from early 1941
to .308 due to ammo availability issues. This rifle came to me significantly
modified so more won't matter. Good aspect of the M14 types is the ease of
mounting a wide range of optics.

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Resistance to tyranny is always justified.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
usrifle wrote:
shaggy wrote:

it is almost all garand parts, they just built a m14 on the cheap.

Btw i'm biased i have a bm59c and bm59e kit waiting a rebuild with a breda and beretta receiver. I just need to get my projects in order

I was told by old Army armorer that the Italian Garands had the best QA
of any of the post-WW2 Garands. My Fowler has a Breda receiver with
Danish ordnance markings.

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

corpsman wrote:
My Fowler has a Breda receiver with

Both of mine are danish marked too, i'm on the fence. It's a shame i dont re-garand them, but an italian receiver bm59 sounds so sweet.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Corpsman...you mentioned a .308 Garand. I had one once, it a simple chamber insert rifle and ran like a top.
Not the most desirable way to convert one, but I bought it that way and never had any trouble with it.
Probably put a thousand rounds through it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Corpsman...you mentioned a .308 Garand. I had one once, it a simple chamber insert rifle and ran like a top.
Not the most desirable way to convert one, but I bought it that way and never had any trouble with it.
Probably put a thousand rounds through it.

The Navy converted about 75,000 Garands to .308 in the late 50's. Initially the insert was used, and in most cases, successfully. There were enough failures to go to barrel swaps.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
corpsman wrote:
My Fowler has a Breda receiver with

Both of mine are danish marked too, i'm on the fence. It's a shame i dont re-garand them, but an italian receiver bm59 sounds so sweet.

Way I see it, the brand or make of a receiver determines the rifles identity. The Beretta and Breda receivers were Garands, thus the BM rifles are Garands. Will likely send my rifle to Tim Shufflin of Shuff's Parkerizing. http://shuffsparkerizing.com/ Shufflin does a BM like conversion that uses M14 magazines.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Shuff's conversion.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

corpsman wrote:
Way I see it, the brand or make of a receiver determines the rifles identity. The Beretta and Breda receivers were Garands, thus the BM rifles are Garands. Will likely send my rifle to Tim Shufflin of Shuff's Parkerizing. http://shuffsparkerizing.com/ Shufflin does a BM like conversion that uses M14 magazines.

I bit the bullet and bought a stack of bm59 mags, i'll probably send it to him too, but i need to find all the parts the GF moved around, also i need to figure out if i can convert a virgin PB marked stock to bm59 pattern
corpsman wrote:
The Navy converted about 75,000 Garands to .308 in the late 50's. Initially the insert was used, and in most cases, successfully. There were enough failures to go to barrel swaps.

The italians shortened the barrel and rechambered it on their conversions

Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
corpsman wrote:

I bit the bullet and bought a stack of bm59 mags, i'll probably send it to him too, but i need to find all the parts the GF moved around, also i need to figure out if i can convert a virgin PB marked stock to bm59 pattern
corpsman wrote:

The italians shortened the barrel and rechambered it on their conversions

Have not heard of Italian shorter barrels. Was this on standard Garands or the BM rifles? In any case, suggest you do a phone consult with Tim Shufflin, particularly regarding the Italian receivers. He is hard nosed but fair, and has a good rep.

Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is interesting. The ballistics are a surprise. 6.8x51 or .277Sig Fury. New US
armed forces main battle rifle.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/blog/277-sig-fury-6-8-51-guide.html

I strongly suspect these rounds would fit a Garand embloc clip like .308 Win does.
Barrel swap and a Schuster adjustable gas valve. There is good reason to be concerned
about the massive pressure this round produces on a receiver. However, there is a Garand
in Tacoma that fires the .458 Magnum with no evident negative effect on the receiver.

Someday.

Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

corpsman wrote:

Have not heard of Italian shorter barrels. Was this on standard Garands or the BM rifles? In any case, suggest you do a phone consult with Tim Shufflin, particularly regarding the Italian receivers. He is hard nosed but fair, and has a good rep.

I'm seeing a bunch of people talking about both with converted barrels, i cant really find a good article on it though.

https://lsbauctions.com/21216/italian-b ... e-1967-cr/

Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
corpsman wrote:

I'm seeing a bunch of people talking about both with converted barrels, i cant really find a good article on it though.

https://lsbauctions.com/21216/italian-b ... e-1967-cr/

Interesting article. Perhaps the shorter barrel idea is addressed as the BM conversions were accomplished using 30-06 barrels with 1/2" removed from the chamber end and bored for .308.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

corpsman wrote:
shaggy wrote:
corpsman wrote:

That's the way i understand it, but i just cant find anything other than a ton of thread posts that say that

Come to think about it, i have atleast one torch cut bm59 receiver and barrel that i should look at.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1031 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 69  Next