Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 38  Next
 ATF's Final Rule On Pistol Braces 

If you submit a form 1 for an NFA firearm you have already manufactured / are in possession of, you have in fact provided evidence that you have committed a crime. Just because they claim that they won't prosecute you today doesn't mean that they will not contrive some reason to do so sometime in the future. After all, the ATF is a trustworthy organization, right?

Just my observation / opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gunblaster wrote:
If you submit a form 1 for an NFA firearm you have already manufactured / are in possession of, you have in fact provided evidence that you have committed a crime. Just because they claim that they won't prosecute you today doesn't mean that they will not contrive some reason to do so sometime in the future. After all, the ATF is a trustworthy organization, right?

Just my observation / opinion. Your mileage may vary.

They can't get you with anything you file on the Form 1. But if you subsequently give the ANYTHING, they can use that.
https://youtu.be/-fwjy0zx_gE

Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For all I know, these imported braced pistols are 922 compliant and it's impossible for the ATF to prove otherwise. When I called to get a form 4 stamp copy reissued, the lady told me that the wording is changing a bit more because they want to fix what seems like traps....the again ATF logic prevails.

I at least have it notorized that my trust took possession of most of my firearms as I will most likely bring them into my Trust. Can always look at the final wording before eforming.

Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chuckisduck wrote:
For all I know, these imported braced pistols are 922 compliant and it's impossible for the ATF to prove otherwise. When I called to get a form 4 stamp copy reissued, the lady told me that the wording is changing a bit more because they want to fix what seems like traps....the again ATF logic prevails.

I at least have it notorized that my trust took possession of most of my firearms as I will most likely bring them into my Trust. Can always look at the final wording before eforming.

Here is the real problem.

BATF will RUIN and utterly DESTROY the average person trying to prove the unprovable. The get what they want, a ruined human being, either way. If they get a conviction? Great. If not? Mission accomplished anyway. Unless you have deep pockets, they took EVERYTHING from you.

That being said, I cannot for the life of me understand anyone who wants to invite the BATF into their personal life for a free form 1 application, if they do not already possess NFA items.

Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I repeat... never volunteer

Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:02 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rivitman wrote:
Hardly a day has gone by since the rule was announced that we don't learn something new.

This is a critical point.

And it's exactly why I'm doing absolutely nothing, just sitting back to see where the chips will fall.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:16 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

MadPick wrote:
Rivitman wrote:
Hardly a day has gone by since the rule was announced that we don't learn something new.

And it's exactly why I'm doing absolutely nothing, just sitting back to see where the chips will fall.

This. I’ll see what’s what in 100 days.

Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:31 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do we know of any pistols that were imported with a brace already installed?

I'd hazard a guess that all of the braces that come on new guns are made in the US (SB Tactical and Shockwave Technologies are both in FL). I doubt that they are exporting the braces to where the gun is manufactured to have them installed. Also doubt they are making braces for other non-US markets. We seem to be the only place dealing with this AFT asshattery

Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Rivitman wrote:

This. I’ll see what’s what in 100 days.

That's kind of how I feel, but now I'm worried form 1s won't get approved if semi-autos are banned here, and then I'm stuck between both state and feds for non-compliance.

So I kind of want to get my F1s out asap. I already have a half dozen stamps so adding a few more wont change my way of doing things or what I take when I travel.

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The final rule starts at the bottom of page 268. The rest is window dressing, back peddling on previous rules and rationale.

Provisions and some examination of the wording with my own references to a couple of Zastava firearms for elucidation of the purported principles and how insufficient the wording for anything other than entrapment follows:

Page 269:
"This final rule’s amended definition of “rifle” clarifies :wink05: that the term “designed,
redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder” includes a
weapon that is equipped with an accessory, component, or other rearward attachment
(e.g., a “stabilizing brace”) that provides surface area that allows the weapon to be fired
from the shoulder,
..."

Already we've arrived at the first vague and wholly insufficient definition and guidance. WTF is the threshold for "surface area"? And while addressed in section five below, the term as introduced is vague and remains so in the ensuing sections.

"...provided that other factors, as listed in the rule, indicate that the
weapon is designed, made, and intended to be fired from the shoulder. These other
factors are:

(i) whether the weapon has a weight or length consistent with the weight or length of similarly designed rifles;"

...similarly designed rifles, hmmmm

How much deviation is allowed to be "consistent" with its peer firearms and how does one divine which firearms are similarly designed? A Zastava ZPAP-M92 weighs a scant 1.3 lbs less than a full sized ZPAP-M70 before you add the brace, tube and adapter...so that probably disqualifies the M92.

"(ii) whether the weapon has a length of pull, measured from the center of the
trigger to the center of the shoulder stock or other rearward accessory,
component or attachment (including an adjustable or telescoping
attachment with the ability to lock into various positions along a buffer
tube, receiver extension, or other attachment method) that is consistent
with similarly designed rifles;"

Again with the "consistent" qualifier. What is the threshold? An inch? Five? A quarter of an inch?
And the use of the word "including" indicates (to me) that the full extension measurement will be used to determine potential L.O.P. measurement. But what of set-screw fixed braces?

"(iii) whether the weapon is equipped with sights or a scope with eye relief that
require the weapon to be fired from the shoulder in order to be used as
designed;"

Back to the M92 example and AR15's with A-2 front sight posts, will those need to be shorn off? And how about the rear sight on the M92? I assume RDS's with sufficient eye relief will pass their "discretion"?

"(iv) whether the surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the
shoulder is created by a buffer tube, receiver extension, or any other
accessory, component, or other rearward attachment that is necessary for
the cycle of operations;
(v) the manufacturer’s direct and indirect marketing and promotional
materials indicating the intended use of the weapon; and
(vi) information demonstrating the likely use of the weapon in the general"

So here we have conclusive evidence that NO brace will be allowed - ever - since any time anyone attempted to shoulder a brace and photographed or described its use in that fashion, such an act (by others) henceforward excludes the use of any brace, by anyone. This is akin to saying that since an automobile could be used, or has been used in the commission of a crime, NO automobiles can be used.

This and the language that requires braces removed from firearms need to be destroyed or modified to prevent reinstallation negates the claim in the beginning of the document that braces are not being banned. What? So you can use them as door-stops?

And if braces aren't banned, but previously used braces must be altered or destroyed, how is it determined which is used and which is new? Does mere possession equate to constructive intent? Maybe I'm constructively intending to build a Final Rule compliant pistol? Is that a sufficient defense?

A final thought (as if I'll ever stop railing) It is obvious that the Federal government and members of Congress are determined to circumvent the intent of the Second Amendment and have chosen to negate through precedential violation the notion of the preservation and guaranteed protection of the Peoples' right to alter and, or abolish their government by retaining the means of defense against a tyrannical usurpation of the Peoples' authority.

"Congress chose to regulate these items (SBR's) more stringently, finding them to
be especially dangerous to the community if not regulated since they are used for
violence and criminal activity. See Gonzalez, 2011 WL 5288727, at *5 (“Congress
specifically found that ‘short-barreled rifles are primarily weapons of war and have no
appropriate sporting use or use for personal protection.”
(quoting S. Rep. No. 90-1501, at
28).

...As if the 2A has no bearing on self or popular defense against a tryannical government. Voluntary compliance only lends legitimacy to the usurpation of popular authority.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Last edited by jukk0u on Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This BATF pistol brace rule is going to be the gift that keeps on giving to us in the pro gun movement for years to come. Not even the lawyers can agree on what it means.

Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:03 pm

TechnoWeenie wrote:
If they offer 'free' tax stamps, you filing proves you intentionally, and unlawfully, created an SBR without a tax stamp.

They will only use that as evidence against you, AND use it as 'proof' that they're SBRs, since clearly so many people 'registered' them as such.

Are you actually admitting anything in the form you send them? If you include a photo of an SBR, sure, but can't you take a photo of the lower with the brace but with no upper attached?

Or does the form somewhere have you outright say you have assembled it?

Maybe my pistol brace lower has a 16"upper. How would they know?

Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkhnm wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
If they offer 'free' tax stamps, you filing proves you intentionally, and unlawfully, created an SBR without a tax stamp.

They will only use that as evidence against you, AND use it as 'proof' that they're SBRs, since clearly so many people 'registered' them as such.

Are you actually admitting anything in the form you send them? If you include a photo of an SBR, sure, but can't you take a photo of the lower with the brace but with no upper attached?

Yes you are admitting it, but another law says they can't use it. But they CAN use it to initiate another investigation and use deceptive tactics to get you to admit the violation some other way, because you told them you have it.

And Amnesty registration is only for complete braced pistols. If you build one now they require you to pay the tax.

So if you are going to do the form one, do it and shut up, go totally dark until you have the stamp.

Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AFT: "This final rule’s amended definition of “rifle” clarifies...(e.g., a “stabilizing brace”) that provides surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder, ..."
jukk0u: Already we've arrived at the first vague and wholly insufficient definition and guidance. WTF is the threshold for "surface area"? And while addressed in section five below, the term as introduced is vague and remains so in the ensuing sections.
Rocket: Can it be shouldered? That's the threshhold. But being able to be shouldered isn't the only criteria...
"AFT:...provided that other factors, as listed in the rule, indicate that the weapon is designed, made, and intended to be fired from the shoulder. These other factors are:
(i) whether the weapon has a weight or length consistent with the weight or length of similarly designed rifles;"

jukk0u:...similarly designed rifles, hmmmm
How much deviation is allowed to be "consistent" with its peer firearms and how does one divine which firearms are similarly designed? A Zastava ZPAP-M92 weighs a scant 1.3 lbs less than a full sized ZPAP-M70 before you add the brace, tube and adapter...so that probably disqualifies the M92.
Rocket: The weight of the brace would count, even with that it would weigh close to a pound lighter than the rifle, around 13% lighter. That seems significant to me. 7.5 lbs was the magic number from the 4999 worksheet and the ZPAP-M92 would be under that
"AFT:(ii) whether the weapon has a length of pull, measured from the center of the trigger to the center of the shoulder stock or other rearward accessory, component or attachment (including an adjustable or telescoping attachment with the ability to lock into various positions along a buffer tube, receiver extension, or other attachment method) that is consistent with similarly designed rifles;"
jukk0u:Again with the "consistent" qualifier. What is the threshold? An inch? Five? A quarter of an inch? And the use of the word "including" indicates (to me) that the full extension measurement will be used to determine potential L.O.P. measurement. But what of set-screw fixed braces?
Rocket: LOP is measured with the stock or the brace fully extended. If there's a set screw it's measured where the brace is fixed. Anybody's guess how much difference is enough. An SBA 3 brace is only an inch shorter than a regular carbine stock (with both fully extended). That seemed to be enough for the AFT to approve it. A gear head works tailhook on a scorpion is nearly identical in LOP to a stocked scorpion (I don't have a stock to compare, just looking at pictures)
"AFT:(iii) whether the weapon is equipped with sights or a scope with eye relief that require the weapon to be fired from the shoulder in order to be used as designed;"
jukk0u:Back to the M92 example and AR15's with A-2 front sight posts, will those need to be shorn off? And how about the rear sight on the M92? I assume RDS's with sufficient eye relief will pass their "discretion"?
Rocket: FSP wouldn't need to be shaved. AR sights work on a pistol. Scorpion pistols came with the same sights as the carbines. They work for both. Using a magnifier or scope with 3" of eye relief would cross the line
"AFT:(iv) whether the surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder is created by a buffer tube, receiver extension, or any other accessory, component, or other rearward attachment that is necessary for the cycle of operations;
(v) the manufacturer’s direct and indirect marketing and promotional materials indicating the intended use of the weapon; and
(vi)
information demonstrating the likely use of the weapon in the general"
jukk0u:So here we have conclusive evidence that NO brace will be allowed - ever - since any time anyone attempted to shoulder a brace and photographed or described its use in that fashion, such an act (by others) henceforward excludes the use of any brace, by anyone. This is akin to saying that since an automobile could be used, or has been used in the commission of a crime, NO automobiles can be used.
Rocket: Pretty much this. How well that would hold up in court I don't know
jukk0u:This and the language that requires braces removed from firearms need to be destroyed or modified to prevent reinstallation negates the claim in the beginning of the document that braces are not being banned. What? So you can use them as door-stops? And if braces aren't banned, but previously used braces must be altered or destroyed, how is it determined which is used and which is new? Does mere possession equate to constructive intent? Maybe I'm constructively intending to build a Final Rule compliant pistol? Is that a sufficient defense?
Rocket: They don't have to be destroyed or modified, you can sell them or find a legitimate use for them
jukk0u:A final thought (as if I'll ever stop railing) It is obvious that the Federal government and members of Congress are determined to circumvent the intent of the Second Amendment and have chosen to negate through precedential violation the notion of the preservation and guaranteed protection of the Peoples' right to alter and, or abolish their government by retaining the means of defense against a tyrannical usurpation of the Peoples' authority.

"Congress chose to regulate these items (SBR's) more stringently, finding them to be especially dangerous to the community if not regulated since they are used for violence and criminal activity. See Gonzalez, 2011 WL 5288727, at *5 (“Congress specifically found that ‘short-barreled rifles are primarily weapons of war
and have no appropriate sporting use or use for personal protection.” (quoting S. Rep. No. 90-1501, at 28).

jukk0u:...As if the 2A has no bearing on self or popular defense against a tryannical government. Voluntary compliance only lends legitimacy to the usurpation of popular authority.

Rocket: Truth, altough I disagree about the compliance part. If any of this does end up as entrapment, as so many have claimed, then it will just be more proof that the AFT needs to be disbanded

Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rivitman wrote:
hkhnm wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Yes you are admitting it, but another law says they can't use it. But they CAN use it to initiate another investigation and use deceptive tactics to get you to admit the violation some other way, because you told them you have it.

And Amnesty registration is only for complete braced pistols. If you build one now they require you to pay the tax.

So if you are going to do the form one, do it and shut up, go totally dark until you have the stamp.

The rule hasn't been published yet, so you could build one now if you wanted

This is what you are admitting to:

Quote:
By proceeding with this application, you are certifying that you and the firearm you intend to register meet the tax-exempt parameters set forth in ATF Final Rule 2021R-08F. Please click here if you have any questions whether you and the firearm you intend to register qualify for tax-exempt registration.

Submitting photos, other than passport photos of yourself and/or RPs on your trust, are not required

Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 38  Next