Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 300 Blackout barrel and Buffer Q's 

I'd think that'd work just fine then, as that's 3.25" long, so you'd probably have around 2" going beyond the edge of the rail.

Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:52 am

Big thanks to everyone for helping me navigate through this, the parts are officially on order. Ended up with the 10.3" hanson stainless BA barrel, BKF pistol gas tube, 9.3" BA Logic handguard, psa blast diverter, sba3 (for after we win,) aero enhanced carbine buffer tube, JP polished spring, kak adjustable buffer, bfk endplate/castle nut, and Hogue pistol grip.

I chose the 9.3" handguard so that in the future adding a suppressor will be an non issue...hopefully.

Only thing I got skunked on was the aero adjustable gas block but that's not a big deal.

Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:06 pm

Well the barrel showed up today and I think someone had an oops... not sure if it was BKF or Ballistic Advantage, but I ordered the stainless hanson 10.3" barrel and end up with the 4150 cmv version instead. The part number on the bag is correct for the stainless barrel but it's black in color. Based on BA's website the stainless barrel should have a bead blasted finish.

Not sure who to call first bkf to inform them of the oops or BA to confirm the barrel should bead blasted in finish?

***edited to add the new picture on top showing the barrel is marked 4150 but the BABL300007P part number is indeed for the stainless barrel.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schoolboy wrote:
Well the barrel showed up today and I think someone had an oops... not sure if it was BKF or Ballistic Advantage, but I ordered the stainless hanson 10.3" barrel and end up with the 4150 cmv version instead. The part number on the bag is correct for the stainless barrel but it's black in color. Based on BA's website the stainless barrel should have a bead blasted finish.

Not sure who to call first bkf to inform them of the oops or BA to confirm the barrel should bead blasted in finish?

***edited to add the new picture on top showing the barrel is marked 4150 but the BABL300007P part number is indeed for the stainless barrel.

That sounds like BA's issue; they packaged the barrel and got it wrong. Of course BKF would probably fix the issue quicker than BA (my guess) but you might even be too late if Inslee signs this AWB tomorrow...

Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:02 pm
FFL / Dealer

Late to the thread but you can buy honey badger barrels separately and they come with an adjustable gas block, and are 1 in 5 twist which gives better terminal effects than the 1 in 7.

Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Contact both, see who can resolve the issue quickest due to the political climate

Chances are that BKF has a whole batch of them like that. Might be that all they have are mislabeled barrels

Don't send that barrel back until you're sure you're getting the right one

Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kolat wrote:
and are 1 in 5 twist which gives better terminal effects than the 1 in 7.

That's debatable, the benefit (when it's there) is marginal, and it can limit you to more expensive bonded or mono bullets only. Lots of downside for very marginal benefit. If you just use the right (not necessarily top dollar but just the right choice) bullets for the application the standard 1/7 and 1/8 twist barrels work perfectly with no need for the special fast twist.

The 8.6 Blackout is in the same boat, and people are starting to have barrels made in slower 1/6.5-1/7 twists to avoid the issues with the really fast twist barrels.

Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:02 am
FFL / Dealer

Yondering wrote:
Kolat wrote:

That's debatable, the benefit (when it's there) is marginal, and it can limit you to more expensive bonded or mono bullets only. Lots of downside for very marginal benefit. If you just use the right (not necessarily top dollar but just the right choice) bullets for the application the standard 1/7 and 1/8 twist barrels work perfectly with no need for the special fast twist.

The 8.6 Blackout is in the same boat, and people are starting to have barrels made in slower 1/6.5-1/7 twists to avoid the issues with the really fast twist barrels.

I have had zero issues running berrys bullets or 220 sierra match kings thru my 1 in 5 barrel. KB has done a lot of testing to show that the rotational energy has a serious effect on terminal performance. Anyone that doesn't believe in rotational energy can watch the the recent video on the car getting launched by a rolling tire on the highway.

If you're not going to use a fast twist with an 8.6 then you might as well just be shooting 338 federal with heavy bullets.

If the 1:5 was such an issue then sig would have stopped using it especially since the bad blood between them and KB.

Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:35 am

RocketScott wrote:
Contact both, see who can resolve the issue quickest due to the political climate

Chances are that BKF has a whole batch of them like that. Might be that all they have are mislabeled barrels

This is the email I sent BKF last night just to get a head start and so that they could see the photos...
"received my order today and at first everything looked good till I realized the barrel was black. I did some double checking to confirm I ordered the correct thing and I did. And I believe you sent the correct part number. But the problem is I believe you/I ended up with mislabeled parts from ballistic advantage. I ordered sku: BABL300007P which is supposed to be a 10.3" stainless steel hanson profile 300blk in bead blasted finish. That's the part number on the barrel bag, however as you can see in my photos the barrel is clearly stamped 4150 CrMoV. I am hoping to get this barrel swapped out for the right one. However you might have a bigger problem if your entire shipment from Ballistic Advantage is this way.

I will try giving you a call in morning as I am in Washington and I am running out of time to get parts before the Assault weapons ban is passed."

Here is the email response from BKF this morning:

"It does indeed look like that barrel was mislabeled. We have the correct barrel that you ordered. Normally we wait until the item being returned has arrived back to us before we ship out the replacement item. However in this case once you have sent the barrel, please provide us with a picture that the barrel is on its way back to us and we will immediately ship out the correct barrel. A return label is being emailed to you."

I did also get the return label so as soon as I get home I'm boxing that sucker up and dropping it off at the ups store this afternoon.

Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:06 am

Right on, they are awesome!

They also have gas rings for 1.99 for a 9 pack. They kick ass.

Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schoolboy wrote:
RocketScott wrote:

This is the email I sent BKF last night just to get a head start and so that they could see the photos...
"received my order today and at first everything looked good till I realized the barrel was black. I did some double checking to confirm I ordered the correct thing and I did. And I believe you sent the correct part number. But the problem is I believe you/I ended up with mislabeled parts from ballistic advantage. I ordered sku: BABL300007P which is supposed to be a 10.3" stainless steel hanson profile 300blk in bead blasted finish. That's the part number on the barrel bag, however as you can see in my photos the barrel is clearly stamped 4150 CrMoV. I am hoping to get this barrel swapped out for the right one. However you might have a bigger problem if your entire shipment from Ballistic Advantage is this way.

I will try giving you a call in morning as I am in Washington and I am running out of time to get parts before the Assault weapons ban is passed."

Here is the email response from BKF this morning:

"It does indeed look like that barrel was mislabeled. We have the correct barrel that you ordered. Normally we wait until the item being returned has arrived back to us before we ship out the replacement item. However in this case once you have sent the barrel, please provide us with a picture that the barrel is on its way back to us and we will immediately ship out the correct barrel. A return label is being emailed to you."

I did also get the return label so as soon as I get home I'm boxing that sucker up and dropping it off at the ups store this afternoon.

Awesome! BKings Firearms is quickly building a name for themselves as a great place to deal with.

Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kolat wrote:
Yondering wrote:
Kolat wrote:

I have had zero issues running berrys bullets or 220 sierra match kings thru my 1 in 5 barrel. KB has done a lot of testing to show that the rotational energy has a serious effect on terminal performance. Anyone that doesn't believe in rotational energy can watch the the recent video on the car getting launched by a rolling tire on the highway.

If you're not going to use a fast twist with an 8.6 then you might as well just be shooting 338 federal with heavy bullets.

If the 1:5 was such an issue then sig would have stopped using it especially since the bad blood between them and KB.

LOL. KB is an unrepentant shyster; believe his marketing BS at your own detriment. I've seen his "proof", and frankly, it isn't.

Also, your example of the tire and car tells us that you don't understand the difference between rotational energy and simple momentum and/or leverage. And the issues with the 8.6 Blk are very well documented at this point; it's clear that KB was/is promoting fast twist as a marketing gimmick and not much more.

Here's the down low: with non-expanding solids, like your 220 SMKs or Berrys, the faster twist may provide marginally better terminal effect, depending on what & how it hits in an animal. Same for the 8.6. But even with that faster twist, those bullets are still way less effective than just using a decent expanding bullet to start with, which does NOT require a faster twist to work well; that's easily demonstrated fact that you can search for or just learn for yourself. So at the end of the day, using solids still sucks, and using the right bullet still works a lot better.

I'm not calling you out for believing KB's marketing hype, but I am pointing out to everyone that it IS just marketing hype.

Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:46 pm

Replacement barrel showed up yesterday evening and looks correct. BKF definitely took care of the issue with no fuss, so big thumbs up for them! Now with the barrel in hand, I decided to test fit everything to see if there were gonna be any other issues.... I think I found two. The first being the gas tube seams to hit/ride on the barrel nut. Is this something I can just give a little bend to? Also how far into the receiver is the tube supposed to protrude? Second issue I found the psa blast diverter doesn't bottom out on the barrel threads. Am I supposed to put a crush washer in that gap or just loctite it and not worry about it?

Other nit picks, I kinda wish I had bought the 10" handguard to cover the last little bit of barrel but I am still concerned that it would come right to the threads on the barrel which would cause an interference with a suppressor.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:00 am

Looked at one of my uppers (5.56), gas tube comes into the upper by about 1 1/8".

The tube can be bent slightly to accommodate things (like if it seems crooked inside the upper, etc.), it won't hurt anything, but I don't see any problem with your setup. The tube touching the nut is perfectly normal.

For the MD, I'd say use crush or peel washer, just so it's not bottoming out directly against the crown of the barrel.

Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the gas tube is contacting the barrel nut, the nut may not be indexed correctly.

Remove the bolt from the bolt carrier and cycle the carrier in & out of the upper while watching the gas tube for deflection in any direction. If it is deflecting it means the gas key is contacting the tube off-center causing the tube to wear unevenly which will eventually result in gas leaking.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next