Let's talk about guns!
Post a reply

Need some holster recommendations to replace N82

Thu May 09, 2024 9:41 am

I really liked N82 (Nate Squared) holsters, but Crossbreed bought them out a few years ago, and they just aren't as good (now called N8 Tactical, but they are still comfortable). I also found the holsters a bit thicker due to the polycarbonate of the originals. After a pistol course a while back, I discovered the twist pull of the holster design a bit challenging to draw under duress. The newer N8 Tactical holsters are even more difficult than the N82 were.

So, what do you recommend? I really like the soft backing that N82 used to have, and the newer N8 holster backing is ok, but I want something without a twist, and that I can get my hand in there to get a good grip to draw. I'd even consider something without a backing to cover the pistol grip, but I certainly want a comfortable backing on the slide area.

Re: Need some holster recommendations to replace N82

Thu May 09, 2024 10:05 am

For concealment, all I can recommend is a good AIWB or IWB by JMCK or Blade-Tech.

They fit the bill for me perfectly, and I'm very happy with my performance shooting out of them.

Thu May 09, 2024 10:48 am

I haven’t looked at your holster but I can add for consideration by asking what belt are you using.

Meaning is it solid and made for carry? Or is it a regular belt.

A big common mistake is not having that solid carry belt and placing a holster and expecting it to alone perform.

Also have you added any cant or tilted the holster to fit your body and draw?

$60 range? Any movement on budget? Have you considered OWB? The 82 is IWB

What’s your body type? I’m short and fat.

Thu May 09, 2024 12:28 pm

Alien Gear for the soft backing but not my cup of tea personally. The best holsters companies I have found are JM Customs(JMCK stated above), Tenicor, Phlster and Tier 1 are the top rated on many forums.

Thu May 09, 2024 12:55 pm

oldkim wrote:I haven’t looked at your holster but I can add for consideration by asking what belt are you using.

Meaning is it solid and made for carry? Or is it a regular belt.

A big common mistake is not having that solid carry belt and placing a holster and expecting it to alone perform.

Also have you added any cant or tilted the holster to fit your body and draw?

$60 range? Any movement on budget? Have you considered OWB? The 82 is IWB

What’s your body type? I’m short and fat.

I'm currently rolling a Hanks leather gun belt. I've also used cobra buckle web belts in the past, but I have a few more lbs to drop before I fit back into those.

I'm average height, and definitely overweight. I like 3-4 o'clock carry the best.

The holster has adjustable cant, which I've adjusted to my liking.

Thu May 09, 2024 1:06 pm

There are still some for sale on fleabay, if you want to stick with a N82.

Thu May 09, 2024 1:12 pm

AR15L wrote:There are still some for sale on fleabay, if you want to stick with a N82.

That's kinda funny. I've been looking at a Shield Plus because they supposedly fit most OG Shield holsters.

I don't see any on ebay for the P365 right now, but I can keep an eye out.

One of My N82 holsters I got used, and the previous owner dremeled out part of the retention hump to make it easier. I don't mind the twist draw on something kinda rounded like a Glock trigger guard, but something like a Springfield or Sig it is more difficult to overcome that hump because of how sharp the trigger guard is.

Thu May 09, 2024 2:36 pm

Personally I would never want a twist draw (or any kind of active retention, really) on a concealment holster.

I only want active retention on overt, unconcealed holsters.

Are you not into Crossbreed? The Caveman really likes his.

Thu May 09, 2024 5:37 pm

Think of holsters like shoes for women.

You have a set for the occasion and or outfit. Sometimes one will better with shorts and others will work more comfortably with layered clothing (ie cold temps).

Plus it’s all about costs and what works in your price range and preferences.

Thu May 09, 2024 7:22 pm

That is so very true. Most of us have a range of them that're used for different occasions.

Thu May 09, 2024 7:44 pm

https://www.kramerleather.com/

These holsters last forever. I have one that is 20 years old and it still works like new

Fri May 17, 2024 10:18 am

Arisaka wrote:https://www.kramerleather.com/

These holsters last forever. I have one that is 20 years old and it still works like new

Yikes, those are spendy. No doubt worth the craftsmanship that goes into them, but I'm used to holsters more in the $60-100 range.

Fri May 17, 2024 10:19 am

ViniVidivici wrote:Personally I would never want a twist draw (or any kind of active retention, really) on a concealment holster.

I only want active retention on overt, unconcealed holsters.

Are you not into Crossbreed? The Caveman really likes his.

I may have to give Crossbreed a go. I'm not a fan of active retention on concealment holsters anymore. N82 started coming out with a Kydex holster that looked to be without the twist draw, right before Crossbreed bought them out.

Sun May 19, 2024 7:28 am

Well Kramar is certainly extremely good quality. But I've moved on from leather holsters for the most part.

Sun May 19, 2024 9:07 am

Take a look at Black Arch holsters.
I’ve had both their IWB & OWB models for the P365 (and others) and they are comfortable and well built.
Post a reply