Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:49 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Shotgun recommendations?: 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
A pump is easy to run. I know a few guys that shoot skeet with an 870 pump.

A pump will hold more ammo than an auto. I never have any troubles with our pumps (rem, win, etc) but a have had the semis get stuck sometimes. You have to finger up the loading ramp and then it will cycle.

Do you also carry a single action revolver for self defense?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you look up Thunder Ranch on youtube, clint has a real nice quick video on his shotgun setup which I find pretty interesting.

Also, might be worth a reservation at the Library: https://kcls.bibliocommons.com/item/show/882879082.

The mapul DVD is very good.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

A pump will hold more ammo than an auto. I never have any troubles with our pumps (rem, win, etc) but a have had the semis get stuck sometimes. You have to finger up the loading ramp and then it will cycle.

YeeHa! :wiggle:

Last edited by Old Growth on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:
usrifle wrote:
She can handle a 12 GA, she is taller than 1/2 the guys on this site!
Jen, I would take up Isildur (Jay) on his offer to get you with the Shotgun Instructor. You can get some training, try pumps and Semi's and then you will be comfortable and know what to get.

Thank you John. Now everybody thinks that I'm the Jolly Green Giant's twin sister. :bigsmile: Nah, I'm only 6' and 185. I am not recoil sensitive. My upper body strength is good, not lifting weights fabulous, but good.

Thank you guys for all the input and Jay, I am sending you a PM.

PM rec'd and reply sent via text.
Have fun!

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

Apples and oranges. This is all pretty fundamental but good to point out.

First, a SA handgun is slower to cock and return to target for most people. And extremely slow to reload when you spend your 6. Contrast that with a pump gun which can be run nearly as fast as a semi-auto, and it can be topped off at any time or lull in a gunfight, and can be topped of quickly with individual shell reloads thru the ejection port with minimal training. So the speed of firing a pump gun is negligibly slower than a semi-auto, and reloading is the same. Whereas SA revolvers are notably slower to fire, and very slow to reload (open gate, turn cylinder, drop shell, reload, repeat).

Secondly, a standard hit from a revolver is not as "fight stopping" as a standard hit from a 12 gauge of any load. So while a revolver might not end a fight with 6 rounds (misses, some minor hits, etc.), a 12 gauge almost certainly will all things equal. (I.e. one could probably fight thru a leg/arm/stomach hit with a .357, but unlikely with a 12 gauge load.)

Ballistics evidence:
357 magnum is a competent handgun round. It's no match against a load of buckshot
https://youtu.be/lTWFbuzX-l8?t=118
12 00 buck
https://youtu.be/dbFLY9OIqPA?t=119

What all that means is that your 6 rounds of revolver is no match for someone with 6 rounds of buck (which for 00 buck is a possible 6x9 or 54 .30 caliber holes)...

So the comment about carrying a SA revolver for defense is not a reasonable comparison to using a pump 12 gauge.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In addition to a shotgun, it sounds like you need a trail cam or some motion sensor placed in and around your yard to catch them in the act.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey GG, do you own any AR's?
If yes, then look at this:

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't get into the manufacturer war. They all throw lead when you pull the trigger. Find one with the right ergonomics for you.

Shooting a 12g requires a pretty aggressive stance with most of your weight over your front foot. You have to fight back on the gun or it will push you around. Some loads like the 3-1/2" turkey ones, most people do have to ride the recoil as it's pretty severe. 2-3/4" 12g loads, particularly the low recoil buckshot ones, are not that stout.

Here's two 12g Mossberg 500s to get you thinking about possibilities.

This one is the "busy" gun. An 8+1 with another 11 shells on the gun. Light up front. Based on your requirements, I recommend a flashlight as that's a great fight-ender for simple miscreants like you've described.

This is the "simple" gun. Other than the coating and the painted front bead, it's pretty stock. Those cheek pads are nice for the ol' face plus have velcro on the other side for 5 shells. Plus a pouch where you could stuff 5 more.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

Bob Munden probably does. :ROFLMAO:

Divided we fall.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OhShoot! wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

Bob Munden probably does. :ROFLMAO:

Not anymore, Bob is dead.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think people exaggerate a 12 GA recoil with typical 2 3/4 loads.
My 16 son shoots a light over/under when we shoot Trap. He's under a buck twenty and we typically shoot 125 rds each.
He has never complained about recoil or been pushed around by the Gun.
As far as most of your weight over the front foot? I guess if you were shooting 3 1/2 inch turkey Loads, that might apply.
When I shoot Trap with my over/under my feet are near parallel so I can swing smoothly right or left.
At 175lbs I have never been pushed around even with heavy Trap loads.
YMMV, but a typical 12 GA 2 3/4 load can be handled most any person, even of smaller stature.
I see young Asian girls on the Trap field regularly at RFGC, most of them wouldn't be much over 90 lbs and shooting a 12 GA.....and doing it well.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No need to spend that much. You can get a good Mossberg 500 for 450$. They are great reliable guns. 12ga. vs 20ga. is a personal preference- a 20ga will definitely ruin a bg's day. If I could only keep one of my guns it would be my shotgun.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
My 16 son shoots a light over/under when we shoot Trap. He's under a buck twenty and we typically shoot 125 rds each.
As far as most of your weight over the front foot? I guess if you were shooting 3 1/2 inch turkey Loads, that might apply.
When I shoot Trap with my over/under my feet are near parallel so I can swing smoothly right or left.
YMMV, but a typical 12 GA 2 3/4 load can be handled most any person, even of smaller stature.
I see young Asian girls on the Trap field regularly at RFGC, most of them wouldn't be much over 90 lbs and shooting a 12 GA.....and doing it well.

Trap loads are absolute pussycats. Most don't even cycle a semi tuned for bird loads. A 20g 00 buck shell kicks harder than a trap load out of any of my 12g guns.

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
usrifle wrote:

Trap loads are absolute pussycats. Most don't even cycle a semi tuned for bird loads. A 20g 00 buck shell kicks harder than a trap load out of any of my 12g guns.

Felt recoil also depends upon the type of action. A simple but good explanation here: https://shotgunreport.com/2014/01/17/ga ... un-recoil/

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
usrifle wrote:

I shoot heavy Trap loads, not the 1 oz loads. These are 1300fps loads and I compare them to a #4 load.
I have shot plenty of buck and Slugs as well. Unless you have a really light shotgun they are very manageable. Like I said, just think people exaggerate 12 GA recoil or are recoil sensitive....or they aren't shouldering the Shotgun properly.
I don't use 00 buck or slugs for HD either though, too much over penetration for my tastes.
YMMV

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next