Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:59 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Firearms Academy of Seattle? 

Heading down there in two weeks for a "Level 2: Defensive Handgun" class. I've been to Front Sight several times, but this will be my first time there. Anybody have any experience with FAS classes? Any protips for enjoying myself?

Last edited by Beretta Dave on Fri May 31, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 26, 2019 9:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ABL, always be loading. Take as many mags as you can, and at every opportunity charge them up. This can be a huge time waster if not actively managed, and you are paying by the minute. You'llget best value for money if you are prepared, and you may inspire others to stop wasting time, which benefits all.
Never make the RO/instructor ask "who's next" on a drill, always step up to go next. You are there to learn, so drink deep and often.
Take written notes. We forget most of what we learn within 7 days, if we don't review it. Writing things down is an effective review method for most people.
Sharing what you learned (write a review, teach someone else) is a super effective way of solidifying new knowledge. There is a reason the military embraces "see one, do one, teach one."
Resist any urge, or attempt by others, to "debate" the information presented. You are there to learn. Maybe the technique will work well for you, maybe not. Open your mind, close your mouth, try it, then evaluate.
Always respond when the instructor asks "any questions?" Really valuable nuggets can be gleaned this way, depending on the thoughtfulness of your question.
Let them know ahead of time any physical/equipment special circumstances you have so accommodations can be arranged for you.

Sun May 26, 2019 10:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Dave I took quite a few classes at FAS when I lived on the Oly area including quite a few of the handgun classes and the full run of shotgun classes. The main thing beyond basic equipment is to bring an open mind and be receptive to learning/re-learning technical skills. Most of us have our share of inefficient movement patterns that can be improved on with good instruction.

Quantsuff has good advice, especially the ABL part. Recommend a mag loader like a maglula to save wear and tear on your fingers and speed up the reloading operations. I would also bring a bit more ammunition than recommended like another box or two. Usually the instructors will pace the class according to the group abilities. If the group is more advanced/skilled than anticipated, they'll introduce hot range operating rules and provide additional challenge through advanced drills. So they've been pretty flexible in my experience depending on who they're working with.

Electronic earmuffs are definitely really nice to have though from your post I'm thinking you're already covered there. The low light shoot house there is pretty sweet. A flashlight with a momentary on-off push button switch is a nice to have compared to a click tail cap but not a big deal really.

You'll do a lot of holster work though sounds like you've had prior training so that won't exactly be new to you. My preference for these kinds of classes is a OWB holster with a neutral cant (barrel straight down). Don't be the guy that shows up with a soft/collapsible IWB holster. I think a kydex IWB is OK there but really a nice OWB is a lot easier to manage.

Sun May 26, 2019 1:51 pm

I'm taking my Wilson Combat Brigadier Tactical, have a Blade-Tech OWB holster and I'm bringing 10 17-round magazines for it, so I'm covered on the equipment front. It's nice to hear that they will adjust the class to the skill level of the participants.

Sun May 26, 2019 8:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tagged with interest.

Sun May 26, 2019 8:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven’t been down there for a couple of years. However, at that time I took every pistol and tactical rifle class they had. I also had a buddy who was an instructor there (since moved on).

Everyone has given good advice. The one thing I would add (and I say this several time’s a day), act like you got someplace to be. When you’re moving from location to location or have a reloading time - get to it. The faster everyone is ready, the faster you’ll do the exercises. If you finish the exercise, they won’t cut you lose early, they’ll add stuff and the stuff they add is generally the most interesting and fun.

Also, take a second gun if you have one. I’ve been at two of their classes where guys had equipment failures and were sidelined until they could get operational again (one time only because someone else had a parts kit - be the guy with the parts kit, not the guy with the broken equipment).

The other thing is plan on power cleaning your gun at lunch. At lunch, we’d take a minute, quick strip the gun, hit with cleaner and lube and run a brush down the barrel. At one of the tactical rifle classes, we had some kid laughing at us old guys, and pontificating on how he NEVER cleaned his gun because “IN COMBAT, you wouldn’t get to stop and clean your rifle” and he wanted his rifle to perform in REAL conditions. We laughed and laughed when during the first shooting drill, his rifle jammed repeatedly, and he experienced real world rifle clearing drills after practically every shot.

Mon May 27, 2019 3:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not been to FAS, but recently took a Pistol class somewhat along the lines of what you are. I'd reiterate what everyone else has said, but also add it the non-firearm equipment. Sunscreen, raingear, change of socks/shoes, snacks, baby wipes. My class was very small and we basically worked out of our SUV hatch backs, so whenever we took a brief break to reload mags I'd grab a bite or two of something, wipe down my hands after touching all the ammo, drink water, etc. I had a ton of mags compared to everyone else, so I could use some reload time to take care of myself instead of feeding the gun. I assume you have at least two mag pouches?

Good advice on all the firearms stuff already, but don't forget to take care of yourself too so you can stay in the class.

Wed May 29, 2019 5:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

from: https://www.breachbangclear.com/so-you- ... ng-course/
"Stand Next to the Worst Shooter

Seriously. This isn’t meant to make you look better, but to get more information and instruction. The squeaky wheel always gets the most grease, and this is especially important in a large class or a class with a less than ideal student to instructor ratio. All too often competent shooters will be let go on autopilot while a lesser shooter gets more attention. If you can identify that shooter, try and stand right next to him. Most of the time an instructor will look to those immediately surrounding them before moving on, plus you may pickup tidbits while said worst shooter is being corrected. If you can’t readily identify the worst shooter, the worst shooter may indeed be you.

It is noteworthy that if you’re in a class where people line up on their targets, often they will stay in these same positions even in a multi-day class. This means that you may have to judge a book from its cover when selecting your position. While no doubt there are dudes with Uncle Mike’s holsters and other subpar items that can shoot like the second coming, this is far from normal. So be a judgmental dick if you have to, just do it inside your head.

I should say that this is the opposite advice I’d give for everyday range sessions. Normally I’d advise to always shoot with someone that’s better than you. Not only can you pick up pieces of good info, they can force you to push yourself. However, in a situation where the instructor’s time is a finite resource I recommend standing by the worst shooter for the reason outlined. "

Fri May 31, 2019 7:51 am

quantsuff wrote:
"Stand Next to the Worst Shooter

My last trip to Front Sight, I was in this unfortunate position. Never again. It got to the point where the guy and his own, personal range officer for two days, to make sure he kept his pistol pointed downrange.

Fri May 31, 2019 4:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I’d be careful with that bit of advice. There’s the worst, and there’s the dangerous. I took the FAS shotgun class a few years ago - at that time they only offered one. They had guys unboxing shotguns at the range. You ain’t had fun until you dove behind the cast iron stove while being swept by a newb with a loaded 12 gauge.

Fri May 31, 2019 5:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

new daddy wrote:
...careful...There’s the worst, and there’s the dangerous...

+eleventy

Fri May 31, 2019 6:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

at my class, which was very small, I took the furthest right position. I assumed the other students were all right handed (which I'm pretty sure they were). I was at nearly zero risk of being flagged by anyone in most drills.

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have the same danger at any school, depends on quickly and prudently personnel emphasize and enforce safety.

I've been to Def Pistol with them and attended Masaad Ayoob's MAG 40 there too. In addition, they have Appleseed shoots there.

It's a low budget but intelligently thought out course with a 50-50 mix of classroom legal and outside practical shooting. Instructors were knowledgeable and approachable and had tidbits of sound advice and I still remember one of the lawyers who taught a class advice "for every round you fire downrange has a lawyer attached".

They also have Armed Citizen coverage to where they can handle your first call while detained by police if you are involved in a self defense shooting.

https://firearmsacademy.com/

Last edited by jackass on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
It is noteworthy that if you’re in a class where people line up on their targets, often they will stay in these same positions even in a multi-day class. This means that you may have to judge a book from its cover when selecting your position. While no doubt there are dudes with Uncle Mike’s holsters and other subpar items that can shoot like the second coming, this is far from normal. So be a judgmental dick if you have to, just do it inside your head.

I should say that this is the opposite advice I’d give for everyday range sessions. Normally I’d advise to always shoot with someone that’s better than you. Not only can you pick up pieces of good info, they can force you to push yourself. However, in a situation where the instructor’s time is a finite resource I recommend standing by the worst shooter for the reason outlined. "

Interesting advice. In addition to classroom and range instruction, you get to see other gear and hear from other people what they wear and do.

Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:29 am

Well, I'm heading out in a few. I'll report back Sunday night.

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]