Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Springfield Saint Victor 

Let me start this off with I've shot about a dozen AR15's, most were home builts, one box stock Areo Precision and a few other main streams I can't name. But my primary reasons for never buying an AR was they never felt solid. Feeling the upper and lower halves move in relation to one another always put me off. The other thing is the overall feel of every AR has just been awkward to me.

Now in a great twist of irony evilgnomez and I bombed down to Gig Harbor yesterday evening to pick up his new 1954 winchester 94. The store where we were meeting the owner at was kinda cool since it was pretty much dedicated to AR's. Well I couldn't resist after the owner said it was ok to just pull any AR off the wall and try it. Well I pulled the saint victor off the wall and instantly had a OH MY momemt. The slim hand guards really felt great and I couldn't detect any slop in the gun anywhere. The other thing that caught me off guard was the balance seamed really good. It actually made enough of an impression I'm considering buying one quick before july 1st. But I'm also considering just getting a stripped lower that I could build later, but only if I bcan build it as slim and tight as the Victor

Anyone else have some hands on experience with this new generation of the Saint? Is there away to basically home build a duplicate?

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schoolboy wrote:
Let me start this off with I've shot about a dozen AR15's, most were home builts, one box stock Areo Precision and a few other main streams I can't name. But my primary reasons for never buying an AR was they never felt solid. Feeling the upper and lower halves move in relation to one another always put me off. The other thing is the overall feel of every AR has just been awkward to me.

Now in a great twist of irony evilgnomez and I bombed down to Gig Harbor yesterday evening to pick up his new 1954 winchester 94. The store where we were meeting the owner at was kinda cool since it was pretty much dedicated to AR's. Well I couldn't resist after the owner said it was ok to just pull any AR off the wall and try it. Well I pulled the saint victor off the wall and instantly had a OH MY momemt. The slim hand guards really felt great and I couldn't detect any slop in the gun anywhere. The other thing that caught me off guard was the balance seamed really good. It actually made enough of an impression I'm considering buying one quick before july 1st. But I'm also considering just getting a stripped lower that I could build later, but only if I bcan build it as slim and tight as the Victor

Anyone else have some hands on experience with this new generation of the Saint? Is there away to basically home build a duplicate?

I don't but as you probably know, the furniture is made by BCM so you should be able to replicate that. As for the upper/lower fitment, I've got Aero precision stuff, and it fits nice and tight. They also have a tension screw if needed to make the upper and lower fit tigher if desired (i've never found a need).

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW My Springfield Saint Edge. Which is the flat top, billet lower version. Has that tension adjustment for upper/lower mating.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. That's how my DD feels. Interestingly Noveske seemed really loosey goosey.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:49 pm

Chains wrote:
FWIW My Springfield Saint Edge. Which is the flat top, billet lower version. Has that tension adjustment for upper/lower mating.

How's that Edge treating ya, and how's the accuracy?

So a tight upper lower fit is thanks to some sort of adjustment mechanism? And here I was thinking it was just really tight machining...

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schoolboy wrote:
Chains wrote:

How's that Edge treating ya, and how's the accuracy?

So a tight upper lower fit is thanks to some sort of adjustment mechanism? And here I was thinking it was just really tight machining...

I don’t have a complaint one. I paid a hair over $1K about a year ago. Runs great and is probably a lil more accurate than I am. :bigsmile:

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 2 of the edges 1 in od green with a steiner 1x4x30 px4 i think is the model it has steiner steel rings mounted. The other is a FDE model with a sig romeo 4t in fde with bullet drop compensator. Both guns are very accurate and i have no regrets on buying them.
Ya get a lot of gun for the money in my opinion.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:42 pm

Thanks guys for the replys!

Well I stopped at skagit arms the other day and fondled several springfield saints in the various flavors: edge, victor, and pistol.  And I've gotta say the edge really is a nice light package.  However I know people like real light triggers but that edge kinda scared me.  The Victor was a bit heavier holding it side by side with the edge but after a few minutes holding just the victor you'll forget about it.  The trigger on the victor truely is smooth but damn was its heavy, I'm gonna guess 9+ pounds.  Not sure if there's anything that could be done about it without swaping the whole thing out?  I know, I know, I'm having a goldy locks moment.

All that said I'm leaning toward the Victor for just general shooting and SHTF which is the roll I thought the garand would fill but having it as a backup my for brother to use is not a bad idea.  And if I find a way to hang my pistols from the safe door it will fit!

Still reluctant though as I can't decide if I really need it, want it, or am just feeling pressured to make an impulse pre july 1st buy....  What bothers me worse is getting stuck with it if I don't like it because no one will buy it after the 1st....:frust:

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My buddy bought a Saint not long ago. I think his is the Edge. I was shocked with how good of a rifle it is for the price. He also bought a Daniel Defense lightweight not long after. After shooting both side by side, he likes the Saint a little better. And now he has a new Saint in 308 on order.

The Saint is a great rifle. If I wasn’t flush with ARs already, I’d get one. If you don’t have an AR, then the Saint is a good first AR. And every gun collection should include at least one AR.

If you get one and don’t like it, you could list it on Gunbroker to find an out of state buyer. Be sure to take shipping costs into account as it will cost you about $55 to ship cross country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:15 pm

So for those of you might be interested here is quick run down on how to identify the different saint rifles starting at the entry level and working up to their top dog.

Up first the standard Saint
Attachment:
ST916556B_1200xN.png

Second up is the Saint Free Float, obvious difference being the foward hand guard with a full length rail on top and flip up sights.
Attachment:
download (3).jpeg

3rd is the Victor with the modified front hand guard that has a smooth top, also the trigger is straight. This is also the only version that comes in .308.
Attachment:
STV916556B_WEB-1400x400.png

And lastly the Edge which has the extra milling done to the lower receiver, the area at the mag well removed, a full length hand guard with rail, and a really light 3lb ish trigger pull.
Attachment:
STE916556_2000xN.png

Edogg sounds like your buddy has a Victor .308 coming and that should be a nice combo!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the one my buddy got:

https://www.preciseshooter.com/Inventor ... 6397922467

And yeah the Victor 308 is the one he has on order.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:28 pm

edogg wrote:
This is the one my buddy got:

https://www.preciseshooter.com/Inventor ... 6397922467

And yeah the Victor 308 is the one he has on order.

Gotcha! Basically the Victor is replacing that model in the line up. I'm kinda curious what suprised you about the saint for the money?

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The furniture feels nice and the trigger is great. I think that the trigger and BCG are NiB coated.

For the same money, you can get a Colt 6920. And you get a lot more gun for the money with the Saint.

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Edogg i screwd up on the 2 i have mine are both saint's with free floated barrels. I didn't think all the extras on the edge were worth the extra cash. Mine even came with black soft cases. That was a nice little bonus that i didn't know until i had already agreed to buy them.
I really like the magpul stock they used. If someone didn't want that type they could go to a ctr and lighten it up even more.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:58 pm

xr650r wrote:
Edogg i screwd up on the 2 i have mine are both saint's with free floated barrels. I didn't think all the extras on the edge were worth the extra cash. Mine even came with black soft cases. That was a nice little bonus that i didn't know until i had already agreed to buy them.
I really like the magpul stock they used. If someone didn't want that type they could go to a ctr and lighten it up even more.

Ok now I'm curious what kind of poundage you are getting on the trigger pull with these?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next