Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:08 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post your background check times and police/sheriff 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Slightly different than the gun shop release waiting times thread, I thought we should have a place where we record how long until the law enforcement background check is done and compare different agencies across the state and also get a sense of what the average time is.

Another advantage of recording this information is that if we see a pattern of the average time being very long even beyond the "intent" of the law, that can help form a basis for a lawsuit that not only is the law not being followed but the nature of the law is inherently chilling article 1 Sec 24 rights. Similar in approach to how Peruta showed data across CA to show that "may issue" was often in fact "never issue," except in this case it would be chronic delay = chronic denial of rights. We'll also be able to tell if any agency attempts to go into a never ending loop of restarting the bcg process over and over.

Another benefit is we'll have averages for each agency so if/when a prohibited person ever does manage to get a gun released before the local agency completes the check we'd have data to show local media that there's no excuse since some agencies can get it done on time and show a pattern of neglect by other agencies. This will counter the narrative that even longer times or absolute no releasing until the bcg is complete "would be necessary."

So even if you got your gun eventually released by the FFL, please post when your bcg actually completes compared to when you submitted it and which agency did the check.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:popcorn:
Not many responses yet?
I guess everyone is busy drilling and milling their 80%...

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:35 am

Thurston County. Several pistols and SARs in less than a week. A few a little over a week (remember "business days).
Lacey has been about the same.
Pierce also seems to be about a week.

I'm not the only one that seems to have noticed, all three of us at the store said it at one time that it actually seems to be going faster now.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:49 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

My 2 post 1639 transactions went to TCSO.

Pistol was 7/1 - 7/11
SAR was 7/12 - 7/17 (approval came back on a Saturday)

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curious what is method of notification that bcg is done if it took longer than 10 business days and FFL already released to you. Would you need to call the FFL and ask them? Do you get something in the mail?

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:40 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alpine wrote:
Curious what is method of notification that bcg is done if it took longer than 10 business days and FFL already released to you. Would you need to call the FFL and ask them? Do you get something in the mail?

Since neither of my BCG's took longer than 10 days, I can't tell you. I do know that the FFL called me when the approved FTA came in.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:50 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Alpine wrote:

Since neither of my BCG's took longer than 10 days, I can't tell you. I do know that the FFL called me when the approved FTA came in.

That the sign of a good FFL! :thumbsup2:

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
... if we see a pattern of the average time being very long even beyond the "intent" of the law, that can help form a basis for a lawsuit that not only is the law not being followed but the nature of the law is inherently chilling article 1 Sec 24 rights...

Careful. How will you prove a "chilling effect"? Proving a negative with statistics is...let's say non-trivial.
One effect of a "chill" might be fewer checks per time period measured, which might exp!ain the no-slower-than-baseline turnaround on those performed.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:38 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

One handgun through Auburn PD- PROCEED came in after 7 business days- customer notified immediately.

One handgun through South Sound 911- PROCEED came in after 8 business days- customer notified immediately.

Local sales are slow, as expected.

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:52 pm
Profile WWW

No damned matter what my rights are going to be infringed because I never have had a wait. I have always gone into the gunshop and left with the firearm or lower I wanted. I was in and out in a few minutes no delay with two lowers. Lowers fall into the other category so they are done the old way.

Last edited by hartcreek on Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sound Loan - Snohomish County Sherriff

Handgun
Submitted: 7/1/2019
Approved: 7/5/2019

Last edited by BlDtyLry on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:49 am

Alpine wrote:

Notifying the customer? No reason to. They already have the gun. If you get the gun and it takes 15 days for the proceed there's nothing that you do.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Alpine wrote:

What is this BCG you speak of? Do they take longer than BGC's? Or are they less expensive? Do you put BCG's in the dreaded black rifles? Or are those BGC's? I guess it would be both in an AR ...

:wink05:

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pistol purchased at Skagit Arms on Saturday, 7/13, form sent to Skagit Co. Sheriff.
Got the phone call Thursday 7/18.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:26 pm
FFL / Dealer

I've processed 3 so far. Two pistol and one SAR.
King County Sheriff was 9 days
Kirkland PD was 9 days
I spoke to both departments and they have confirmed that they are getting them out in 10 days or less. Both departments have sent confirmation emails when they received the request. When we hit ten days, they asked that I call and verify if we still haven't received a response. I think things are pretty straightforward at this time. Requests should be processed in 10 days or less and if not, we reach out and see what's up.

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 257 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next