Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:50 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Clean your rifle! Or maybe... don't? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not that I would do that to mine but I kinda like it.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

A.O. wrote:
Do boresnakes need to be cleaned somehow? I mostly hose things with some remington spray.

In theory, one of the advantages of a boresnake is that you can throw it in your clothes washing machine and "refresh" it. Personally, I think that sounds awful for a couple of different reasons, so mine never get cleaned. And I think that's fine.

When I shoot corrosive ammo, I always give the gun the full meal deal for cleaning: brush and patches, repeated multiple times. I don't use a boresnake for cleaning after using corrosive ammo.

I do use boresnakes for 90% of the cleaning that I do, however, which is of course when I shoot non-corrosive ammo. The boresnake is quick and easy, and it gets the vast majority of the crud out. Good enough for routine work, is my opinion.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Not that I would do that to mine but I kinda like it.

Yeah, I get that a lot. Honestly, it could have been any rifle. At the time, the rifle, ammo, and mods were pretty affordable, so I just grabbed one that a buddy had extra of. It was never seen as a mosin to me. It was just parts I needed to create the rifle I had in my mind's eye. I juat wanted a ridiculously long, semi-tacticool looking, cheap to shoot rifle in a caliber that packed a punch. lol, to be even more honest, I didn't really even care how well it shot. I knew I wouldn't get a lot of time behind it at any great distance around here. It was just a project to keep me busy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by A.O. on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aaaaaand the stupid pictures are posted in reverse again...

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
NOW YOU DID IT...

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
In theory, one of the advantages of a boresnake is that you can throw it in your clothes washing machine and "refresh" it. Personally, I think that sounds awful for a couple of different reasons, so mine never get cleaned. And I think that's fine.

When I shoot corrosive ammo, I always give the gun the full meal deal for cleaning: brush and patches, repeated multiple times. I don't use a boresnake for cleaning after using corrosive ammo.

Yeah that sounds incredibly awful. Maybe I'll just get the high pressure hose out and give them a blasting. The rifling on it looks crisp now. I need to stop in somewhere and look into some of those better cleaners. I'm expecting another new family member in January, so I don't know if I can make it to the new years shoot. Can't have the Mrs. Going into labor while I'm at the range an hour and a half away. We'll see...

NOW YOU DID IT...

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:19 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

A couple of related threads:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=53296
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=74910

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After corrosive ammo, if the wife isn't home, I break down the rifle, throw it all in the dishwasher and let it run on the normal cycle with heat dry.

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, this has been tricky. I actually did clean the hell out of it last time, and just noticed rust and fouling. I just havent had time to pick up decent cleaner. It's clear I need to up my cleaning game for this one.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:51 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

A.O. wrote:
Yeah, this has been tricky. I actually did clean the hell out of it last time, and just noticed rust and fouling. I just havent had time to pick up decent cleaner. It's clear I need to up my cleaning game for this one.

And make sure you leave some type of oil/lube at the end. If you're using a straight cleaner, then follow it with oil.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't hot WATER the appropriate cleaner for corrosive ammo?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

jukk0u wrote:
Isn't hot WATER the appropriate cleaner for corrosive ammo?

Yeah . . . but I've found that regular cleaners seem to work also.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm wondering tonight if the Remington oil/cleaner isn't what is causing the rust... its oiled and then rubbed down to remove excess. I have to go to fucking portland this weekend, but I'm going to try to grab some better cleaner at some point.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brake cleaner, WATER, regular solvents, oil

https://concernedpatriot.com/how-to-cle ... sive-ammo/

"The goal of this process is to clean out all the salts that have been accumulating in your firearm from firing. And so that means you’ll have to flush out those salts with hot water.

You may have heard you need to use soap, ammonia, or some water-based cleaner. These can work well, but the common feature of all these cleaning styles – the most important ingredient of all to rinse those salts away – is hot water."

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hULLO? testing 1,2... Is this thing on?

HOT WATER

FJB

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about holy water? :D

I'll give it a try along with a better oil to see if that helps the nooks and crannies afterwards.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next