Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:43 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Where best to mount a pistol in a car? 

I have a question with regards to those of you who (W/CDL) carry a pistol mounted in your car. Do you have it mounted where it’s is concealed or in plain sight? My concern is if you’re pulled over for any reason and an officer sees the weapon (in open sight), things could get very intense. Ideally for me would be on the console between front seats, but that has it's hazards if pulled over.

I would like to mount a level 1/II Kydex holster in my car but concerned where the best place to mount it (under the front seat?).

“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Greenecho wrote:
I have a question with regards to those of you who (W/CDL) carry a pistol mounted in your car. Do you have it mounted where it’s is concealed or in plain sight? My concern is if you’re pulled over for any reason and an officer sees the weapon (in open sight), things could get very intense. Ideally for me would be on the console between front seats, but that has it's hazards if pulled over.

I would like to mount a level 1/II Kydex holster in my car but concerned where the best place to mount it (under the front seat?).

I mounted mine on the dash under the steering column, but have second thoughts for the reasons you've mentioned and may remove it. "Plain sight" is legal terminology that might raise concerns for officer apprehension or probable cause searches. For instance, even if no weapon if you roll onto an installation that bans guns (e.g. government) they could use that as PC to stop and search...

Also, thief target. If they see a holster they will probably pick your car and smash the window.

I can stuff a pistol in holster between seat and console and it's snug enough to draw. Problem is retention in the G-force of an accident is unlikely.... Maybe a magnet or velcro strip on the holster and seat or console... There are nice magnets out there which are low profile and the gun just affixes to the magnet. I may end up going that route.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

keep it on your waist.....it takes one time to forget it and byebye gun

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep it on your person. . .

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:42 pm

AR15L wrote:

Is that a Prius? LOL Like those windshield wipers afterwards.

“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:

That would be nice on southbound I-5 at around 4ish

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before I made the switch to my current method, I generally mounted a kydex level II on the passenger side of the console. Its easy to conceal from casual observation with something such as a hoodie draped over. I usually just dropped my ballcap over the top.
Just be aware that if you are pulled over carrying like that, you'd be served well by keeping both hands on the wheel and making eye contact, while informing the officer.

When LEO's scan a cars interior, it isnt just a casual observation. I've found this method successful in remaining alive so far....even the time I had to tell the cop that I couldnt give him my DL, cause there was a handgun in the same console as my wallet! Ooops.

The couple times I felt they looked nervous, I volunteered to step out and away from it. That works like a charm.

Its still nearly the best possible option for comfort and ease of access, but comes with a host of issues to consider. I can't count the number of times I had to turn around and backtrack to the damn thing. Holstering and unholstering in a car has its inherant dangers as well. Laziness can easily settle into a "smooth" process, and you find that normal practice is flagging your damn kidneys regularly just to jump in and out.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:28 pm

I dont want my gun messing up the leather seat so I stuff my shield between the seat and console, I also have a little drawer that I just remembered, I suppose I could stick one of those gun magnets in it to hold it

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://youtu.be/_b8ngq-tSq4?t=384

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://blackhawk.com/products/holsters ... system-kit

https://blackhawk.com/omnivore

Quick disconnect. On my belt then disconnect then mount in a separate female plate on the passenger side of the transmission hump. Get out of the car re-connect.
I have the female plate on my plate vest, drop leg, regular holster, and in the car.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
https://blackhawk.com/products/holsters-accessories/holsters/accessories/platforms/quick-disconnect-system-kit

https://blackhawk.com/omnivore

Quick disconnect. On my belt then disconnect then mount in a separate female plate on the passenger side of the transmission hump. Get out of the car re-connect.
I have the female plate on my plate vest, drop leg, regular holster, and in the car.

Their website sucks balls.
Video is private.
Yep, really good way to sell stuff, folks.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]