Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:08 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Fitting an ar 15 rifle for my mother. 

Sinus211 Did you bother to look at the Fort Scott Munitions and did you forget basic physics because it comes down to a simple formula.........F=MA?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:08 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

hartcreek wrote:
Sinus211 Did you bother to look at the Fort Scott Munitions and did you forget basic physics because it comes down to a simple formula.........F=MA?

I did not. I will look into it and reply once I’ve had a chance to.

Have you chrono’d your .38spl loads?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:23 am

Figured I should update you. I wound up using a one inch riser and a 45 degree riser and high tip up sites. I bought the upper Wensday and clamped the sites on and right out of the box with no adjusting had mom hitting a man sized target at thirty feet. MY cartridge style laser site will be in later today and in the next week I will dial the sites in. I was planning on putting a vertical grip light with a laser on it but instead I am thinking a 1200 lumen red varmit hunting light to make the user less of a target and still have the user with plenty of light to be able to determine the target.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:55 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

hartcreek wrote:

Good reminder to come back to this. I checked out the Fort Scott TUI solid copper projectiles. I have a few questions.

What grain weight projectile are you using that works for .380acp, 9mm, & .38 special?
What powder and what charge weight for 9mm and 38 special?
Have you chono’d your loads?
Have you read about the possible negative implications of loading your own carry ammo?

I understand force=mass x acceleration. In fact it’s the very basis for my saying that 9mm is a more potent round than 38 special. 9mm runs at higher pressures that create greater speed using very similar grain weight projectiles. But perhaps you’re loading your 38 special extremely hot?

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:50 am

Sinus211

I reload everything and I would rather have odds in my favor in a shoot out which is why my carry ammo for .380, 9mm, .38S&W and .38 Special use Fort Scott bullets. You can purchase them loaded for some calibers if using reloads wads your panties. When you buy the bullets they provide loading specifications. I went with the lightest in .355 so I could use them down to .380. My .38 S&W and Special practice loads use a Lee 105 grain that I cast so the impact of the Fort Scott is close.

I have CNC machined hollow points from another maker for 5.56 or I would use Fort Scotts for one mag of them too.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:27 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

hartcreek wrote:
Sinus211

I reload everything and I would rather have odds in my favor in a shoot out which is why my carry ammo for .380, 9mm, .38S&W and .38 Special use Fort Scott bullets. You can purchase them loaded for some calibers if using reloads wads your panties. When you buy the bullets they provide loading specifications. I went with the lightest in .355 so I could use them down to .380. My .38 S&W and Special practice loads use a Lee 105 grain that I cast so the impact of the Fort Scott is close.

I have CNC machined hollow points from another maker for 5.56 or I would use Fort Scotts for one mag of them too.

Reloading defensive ammo doesn't "wad my panties" I've just read quite a few good arguments against it.

38 special typically runs in the 800-900fps range whereas most 9mm runs well over 1000fps using similar grain weight bullets. I'm wondering what load you're using for 38 special that is running faster than a 9mm?

hartcreek wrote:
movingviolation.... That 9mm you are shooting is downright impotentent compared to the .38 Specials my mom is already shooting

This is why I'm asking. Yes, 38 special has more case volume than a 9mm but that's because it was originally created as a black powder round and needed the space. Unless it's loaded well above SAAMI specs 38 special typically is a slower moving round than 9mm with modern smokeless powder. In my opinion, 9mm is in no way "downright impotent" in comparison with 38 special.

ETA- for the record I have carried both rounds and loaded for both 9mm and 38 special.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:42 pm

Sinus211

I tried to get a photo so you could understand but my camera just will not focus well enough. I am using 5.4 grains of Unique with a 105 and under grain bullet. If you take 5.4 grains of Unique and dump it into a 9mm case you will understand. My loads data is coming out of a Speer Number 11. The specified weights for a 9mm simply will not fit in a 9mm case. Yes .38 Special was developed for black powder but balloon cases are not around any longer and many modern handguns can handle more pressure which is why reloading manuals give P+ data. In my case I am loading for an aluminum Airweight and a Davis Derringer but even so 5.4 grains of Unique simply will not work in a 9mm because there is not enough room for the bullet.

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:38 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

hartcreek wrote:
Sinus211

I tried to get a photo so you could understand but my camera just will not focus well enough. I am using 5.4 grains of Unique with a 105 and under grain bullet. If you take 5.4 grains of Unique and dump it into a 9mm case you will understand. My loads data is coming out of a Speer Number 11. The specified weights for a 9mm simply will not fit in a 9mm case. Yes .38 Special was developed for black powder but balloon cases are not around any longer and many modern handguns can handle more pressure which is why reloading manuals give P+ data. In my case I am loading for an aluminum Airweight and a Davis Derringer but even so 5.4 grains of Unique simply will not work in a 9mm because there is not enough room for the bullet.

I don’t use much Unique powder. For 9mm I prefer Accurate #7 or Titegroup. From what I’ve read about unique it’s a very fluffy powder. Have you tried seating your bullet in spite of the case looking too full with 5.4gr? Some quick reading found discussion about Unique powder performing very well in compressed loads up to 6.0gr in 9mm.

It might be worth it to go ahead and try your preferred 5.4gr load in 9mm and see what kind of performance you’re getting out of it. I’d imagine with a 105gr bullet it’s extremely fast.

Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 pm

5.4 grains of Unique is what I am using for .38 Special. 9mm calls for more up to 6.4 which more then overflows the case so I have to use HS6 or Red Dot but still the same problem just not as severe as the Red Dot and HS6 are not as fluffy.

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3