Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:56 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Arisaka Experts help me out here 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I have an opportunity to buy this Arisaka type 99 rifle

Other than the front sight being modified, rear sight missing the "wings", the bolt handle being bent and the stock being cut back, the rifle is original. Is it worth it to buy the correct sight parts, bolt and stock to make it back original?

Is there an expert who can decipher the markings and tell me when it was made?

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Type 99
Toyo Kogyo Arsenal/subcontractor
Series # 35?

I can't make out the symbol on the far left

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, you need a few more parts: monopod, bolt cover, cleaning rod and bayonet. You can straighten the bolt by heatIng it up. That’s how it was bent. If the bolt matches the receiver numbers, then either leave it as-is or straighten it. And be sure somebody didn’t auger it out to 30-06. That happened a lot when you could by an Arisaka for $5 from a barrel in the hardware store.

You will spend a lot more restoring this rifle than it will ever be worth. But don’t let that stop you!

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, that's quite the project. unless its essentially free, I'd look around more.when I got mine, it only needed the dust cover, sling, and monopod. Still had the imperial crest, and the AA sights. I think I paid about $200 or $300 with the bayonet. About 6yrs ago. I don't know if that info helps, but I would do some serious research on the different models issued, and then decide what you want. Then you can be better prepared to shop. Also, research the cost of parts so you uave a ballpark of what different leveles of restoration will be in mind.

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:57 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

jukk0u wrote:
Type 99
Toyo Kogyo Arsenal/subcontractor
Series # 35?

Agreed.

The anti-aircraft sights, monopod, etc. aren't necessarily "missing"; not all Arisakas were built with those features. I'm not sure about the dust cover, but they are not found with the vast majority of Arisakas out there.

A.O. wrote:
Yeah, that's quite the project. unless its essentially free, I'd look around more.

I agree. This is why I estimated the value at $150 in the other thread. As far as I'm concerned, an Arisaka in this condition isn't worth much (or anything to most people?) as a collector. Basically, it's of interest as a deer rifle -- and who wants a deer rifle that shoots expensive, hard-to-find ammo? It's also possibly of interest to a casual collector who isn't bothered by the modifications and is just happy to have a piece of history.

You can put a lot of time and money into this one to restore it, but you'll lose money on the deal. Only do it if it's worth it to you personally.

We've had Arisakas like this for sale here on WaGuns . . . and they just sit and sit until the price gets waaaay down there.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A.O. wrote:
Also, research the cost of parts so you uave a ballpark of what different leveles of restoration will be in mind.

What about raiding a trainer? They can still be had pretty cheap

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd pay up to 75-85 bucks or so, but I only need the bolt.

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
A.O. wrote:
Also, research the cost of parts so you uave a ballpark of what different leveles of restoration will be in mind.

What about raiding a trainer? They can still be had pretty cheap

I just saw a beat up trainer at DJ's today... asking $375!

FJB

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:53 pm

The mum doesn’t look too badly defaced, might be worth more if the mum was in better shape. I got one that wasn’t chopped but the mum was ground off. These rifles would be worth more if the ammo wasn’t so hard to come by. They are sweet shooters.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]